Register to reply

If Intelligent Design is exactly that, what's with all the design flaws?

by revelator
Tags: design, flaws, intelligent
Share this thread:
Orefa
Jan22-06, 05:15 PM
P: 160
Quote Quote by phcatlantis
But for the typical modern layman, I don't see what value they'd find in a debate over something that happened millenia before their language and way of life even existed.
Ok. I wouldn't debate anyone on whether their reasons to care are good enough or not. A number of people care, for their own reasons. Your "typical modern layman" may lack such reasons. Meh.
Evo
Jan22-06, 07:34 PM
Mentor
P: 26,431
Quote Quote by phcatlantis
All right, a lot relative to the lifespan of a human being.
I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about people so concerned with what happened 6,000 years ago that they feel the need to ridicule others who don't share their beliefs.
That's another reason why "young earth" creationists" are to be ignored. They picked that date based on the Bible. It's meaningless.

What does any of this have to do with ID?
Amp1
Jan26-06, 02:10 PM
P: 107
If Intelligent Design is exactly that, what's with all the design flaws?
Question: Is the design of the universe flawed? Is the way chemical reactions happen flawed? Are the natural laws flawed? All of that is considered a part of ID.

How could man have the capacity to learn and experience if they are perfect?

Is there one kind or type of perfection or is there different levels to it?

What could experiential perfection entail?

What is absonite perfection?

Can one imagine absolute perfection?
jimmie
Jan26-06, 02:18 PM
P: 260
Question: Is the design of the universe flawed?
Perhaps, the only "flaw" in the universe was your perception of the universe.
ComputerGeek
Jan26-06, 02:26 PM
P: 534
Quote Quote by Amp1
Question: Is the design of the universe flawed? Is the way chemical reactions happen flawed? Are the natural laws flawed? All of that is considered a part of ID.

How could man have the capacity to learn and experience if they are perfect?

Is there one kind or type of perfection or is there different levels to it?

What could experiential perfection entail?

What is absonite perfection?

Can one imagine absolute perfection?
Large systems that have a few set of rules can interact in highly organized ways.

I guess Clouds are intelligent or each were specifically designed by an intelligent being because of their highly organized and predictable behavior?
Amp1
Jan26-06, 02:44 PM
Large systems that have a few set of rules can interact in highly organized ways.
There is order in chaos.

Jimmie,
Perhaps, the only "flaw" in the universe was your perception of the universe.
ComputerGeek,
I guess Clouds are intelligent or each were specifically designed by an intelligent being because of their highly organized and predictable behavior?
Funny, I didn't say anything about intellect...ComputerGeek. Jimmie, No one perceives the 'entire' universe unless you believe in an infinite personality.

I just asked a few questions that all. The question after the 'if' statement "...whats with all the design flaws" presumes there to be some volitional 'Architect'. But it seems to focus in on only a specific set - the set of elements classified as man. So, I figured I'd ask something like "Is the current expansion of the universe a flaw?". Maybe, it is still expanding so that there will be enough room for an infinite number of beings.
ComputerGeek
Jan27-06, 08:48 AM
P: 534
Quote Quote by Amp1
There is order in chaos.

Jimmie,

ComputerGeek,

Funny, I didn't say anything about intellect...ComputerGeek. Jimmie, No one perceives the 'entire' universe unless you believe in an infinite personality.

I just asked a few questions that all. The question after the 'if' statement "...whats with all the design flaws" presumes there to be some volitional 'Architect'. But it seems to focus in on only a specific set - the set of elements classified as man. So, I figured I'd ask something like "Is the current expansion of the universe a flaw?". Maybe, it is still expanding so that there will be enough room for an infinite number of beings.
If the multi-verse theory is correct, then our existence is inevitable no matter how imporbable.
Amp1
Jan27-06, 11:46 AM
I agree ComputerGeek. It's also fascinating that there could be a universe where Superman is real along with any or all other comic book heros and villains, where realities like those portrayed in books by Koonz, S. King, Terry Pratchett, ect. exist. < brrrrrrrrr > I would want to be alive in a place like the universe of H.P. Lovecraft.
phcatlantis
Jan27-06, 02:33 PM
P: 108
Quote Quote by Evo
That's another reason why "young earth" creationists" are to be ignored.
I don't know. I can see how their version of events is sexier, and it comes complete with a whole bunch of other religious stuff.

They picked that date based on the Bible. It's meaningless.
I don't see how its any more meaningless to the average joe than ~3 billion.

What does any of this have to do with ID?
This is an aside on Orefa's point about how "the past is all we have to understand the present." My point is who cares about the past that far distant besides, well, people who study it? I like clam chowder, I don't expect everybody else to share my taste.

Register to reply