Register to reply

Pressure equations

by Zenaide
Tags: equations, pressure
Share this thread:
Zenaide
Jan3-06, 02:17 AM
P: 3
I have an assignment that asks me to create a lab that uses the two equations p = density weight x height and p=F/A in order to determine pressure in two ways resulting in the same number.

So obviously density weight is a given, so all the only variables I need to find are height, force and area. I'm supposed to be able to create a lab that I can do in our physics room.... I've tried to think of a way to use a brake rotor on s hooks to calculate force and provide an area and show a height but than I stumble on to the fact that this idea doesn't help me find pressure at all... I've been racking my brain all break and I can't seem to come up with any beginnings of ideas or a final lab that I could try. If anyone could help me find a start to an idea I'd be so thankful.

Oh I'm pretty positive I have to use a springscale but other than that I'm stuck.

-Zenaide
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Doc Al
Jan3-06, 07:09 AM
Mentor
P: 41,321
Why not do something with fluids? Your first equation, "p = density weight x height" is often written: [tex]p = \rho_{weight} h[/tex], where p is the pressure at some depth "h" below the surface of a fluid of weight-density (weight per unit volume) [tex]\rho_{weight}[/tex].

Your second equation, p=F/A, is the fundamental definition of pressure.

Register to reply