Pressure equations

by Zenaide
Tags: equations, pressure
Zenaide
Jan3-06, 02:17 AM
P: 3
I have an assignment that asks me to create a lab that uses the two equations p = density weight x height and p=F/A in order to determine pressure in two ways resulting in the same number.

So obviously density weight is a given, so all the only variables I need to find are height, force and area. I'm supposed to be able to create a lab that I can do in our physics room.... I've tried to think of a way to use a brake rotor on s hooks to calculate force and provide an area and show a height but than I stumble on to the fact that this idea doesn't help me find pressure at all... I've been racking my brain all break and I can't seem to come up with any beginnings of ideas or a final lab that I could try. If anyone could help me find a start to an idea I'd be so thankful.

Oh I'm pretty positive I have to use a springscale but other than that I'm stuck.

-Zenaide
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Doc Al
Jan3-06, 07:09 AM
Mentor
P: 40,874
Why not do something with fluids? Your first equation, "p = density weight x height" is often written: [tex]p = \rho_{weight} h[/tex], where p is the pressure at some depth "h" below the surface of a fluid of weight-density (weight per unit volume) [tex]\rho_{weight}[/tex].

Your second equation, p=F/A, is the fundamental definition of pressure.

Register to reply