Help with diffy eqn terminal vel problem

by Ara macao
Tags: diffy, terminal
Ara macao
Jan10-06, 07:20 PM
P: 26
Hi,

So m*dv/dt = mg - kv^2, where m is skydiver mass, g acceleration due to gravity, and k> 0 related to amount of air resistance. So I want to find the analytical solution for v(t), with the assumption that v(0) = 0.

I went all the way to integrating it with a partial fraction, but then got an answer drastically different from what the book got.

Thanks...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
HallsofIvy
Jan10-06, 10:05 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,894
It's hard to answer because you didn't show us what you did or what answer you got!
saltydog
Jan11-06, 11:04 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,593
Quote Quote by Ara macao
Hi,
So m*dv/dt = mg - kv^2, where m is skydiver mass, g acceleration due to gravity, and k> 0 related to amount of air resistance. So I want to find the analytical solution for v(t), with the assumption that v(0) = 0.
I went all the way to integrating it with a partial fraction, but then got an answer drastically different from what the book got.
Thanks...
Tell you what Ara, how about looking up Riccati equations. Now, can your equation be put in such form? If if can, then such a prespective may allow an easier approach to its solution.

arildno
Jan11-06, 11:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016

Help with diffy eqn terminal vel problem

Please remember that the inverse of the hyperbolic tangent is a logarithmic expression.
Benny
Jan11-06, 06:47 PM
P: 585
If you just want the terminal velocity then set the acceleration (LHS) equal to zero and solve for v. I did a question like this about 1 or 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, the working is a little tedious but not too difficult. Obtaining the partial fraction decomposition is the difficult part, the integration and transposition should be straight forward.

Register to reply