Register to reply

P = F delta T!

by metalmagik
Tags: delta
Share this thread:
metalmagik
Jan12-06, 07:12 PM
P: 131
okay Im not sure what the right answer is out of these multiple choices because Im not sure how exactly to use F delta T.

A 4.0-N force acts for 3.0 sec on an object. The force suddenly increases to 15 N and acts for one more second. What impulse was imparted by these forces to the object?

a. 12 Ns
b. 15 Ns
c. 16 Ns
d. 27 Ns

I got like...both A and B as possible answers but im not sure which one is right..I used F delta T to get 12 because I just did 4 x 3. Then I got 15 by doing 15 x 1. Im not sure how to use the change in time... when i played around with it i was getting numbers that were not any of the choices. Any help is much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
StatusX
Jan12-06, 07:22 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,567
Impulse is additive. That is, if you have an impulse of A over one period of time, and an impulse of B over another period, then the total impulse over both periods is A+B. (taking into account the direction each time)
metalmagik
Jan12-06, 07:25 PM
P: 131
Thanks! Let's hope I do good on this re-test after I bombed the first momentum test. haha

Register to reply