Can I Still Drink Expired Milk?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I left milk out all night and still drank it after it was cool again.If it still felt chilled, and you're going to drink it tonight, it's probably okay, at least if it started out fairly fresh (if it's already close to the expiration date, I'd just dump it, because it might have already been starting some bacterial growth). A half gallon is a large enough volume, it probably wouldn't cool too quickly (maybe you should give the carton dimensions, refrigerator temperature and room temperature to the physics/math folks around here and let them calculate the time it reached that "danger zone" HRW mentioned and how long it was at that temperature...the milk in the middle is probably just fine :
I left 1/2 gallon of 1% milk out for nearly three hours. Still felt chilled. Think I should drink it? I really don't want to go out to the store tonight!

Physics news on Phys.org
try it a bit, if it taste sour and has a weird smell then it's better to just throw it away

Greg Bernhardt said:
I left 1/2 gallon of 1% milk out for nearly three hours. Still felt chilled. Think I should drink it? I really don't want to go out to the store tonight!
4 cumulative hours spent at a temperature in the "Danger Zone", 41-140*F, is the cutoff for restaurants in Florida (and all of the US, I think). Any longer than that, it's garbage; less, they can serve it to you; not sure about 4 hours exactly (I'd toss it, personally). Keep in mind that you don't know what temperatures it was at for how long before you bought it (or if your fridge stopped working for a few hours without you noticing), so use your senses.

BTW, to be clear, that's the temperature of the food, not its environment.

Last edited:
hmmm...only one thought comes to mind...

WWTDD?

(what would tribdog do?)

Disclaimer: Don't sue me if I'm wrong!

If it still felt chilled, and you're going to drink it tonight, it's probably okay, at least if it started out fairly fresh (if it's already close to the expiration date, I'd just dump it, because it might have already been starting some bacterial growth). A half gallon is a large enough volume, it probably wouldn't cool too quickly (maybe you should give the carton dimensions, refrigerator temperature and room temperature to the physics/math folks around here and let them calculate the time it reached that "danger zone" HRW mentioned and how long it was at that temperature...the milk in the middle is probably just fine :biggrin:).

I wouldn't save it though, it'll probably spoil pretty quickly after sitting out that long once any bacteria got a chance to start growing.

Kids walk around with sippy cups filled with milk about that long, and probably a lot warmer in their grubby little hands.

Oh...and if you experience nausea, vomiting and diarrhea tomorrow, it probably was sitting out too long. :tongue:

Last edited:
Oh, did you know that 1% has only 20 fewer (kilo)calories per cup than 2%? That really disappointed me. Maybe I'm strange. I wonder if I could have figured that out -- don't the percentages refer to fat content or something?

Last edited:
Oh, if you're going to drink it, put it in the freezer for a while to bring the temp down ASAP.

It's fine to drink.

I left milk out all night and still drank it after it was cool again.

I think it should be ok. At most coffee houses they don't even pay that much attention to keeping the milk they are using refrigerated (the particular jug in use). When I worked at one putting the milk back in the fridge was always one of the first things I did when I started my shift. Ofcourse we steamed the milk before giving it to customers so that may have killed anything in it.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I think it should be ok. At most coffee houses they don't even pay that much attention to keeping the milk they are using refrigerated (the particular jug in use). When I worked at one putting the milk back in the fridge was always one of the first things I did when I started my shift.
:yuck: And thank you.
Ofcourse we steamed the milk before giving it to customers so that may have killed anything in it.
But if the bacteria produced toxins...
I'm not sure about what is in or grows in milk, but that's how you can still get sick from food that was properly handled and cooked. The only examples I know of don't involve bacteria; they involve seafood, especially big fish, in which the toxins become concentrated as the big fish eats lots of smaller fish that ate lots of smaller fish that ate lots of the little protozoans that produce the toxins.

Last edited:
It's definitely fine. I don't think you can get very sick even if big milk chunks are floating around.

However, if in doubt. I have a theory that you can eat just about any amount of bacteria ridden food when really hammered and have no ill effects. In college, after a long evening at the bar, I was rooting through my buddies fridge in their house. This was in december and I found some cold cut roast beef in the fridge with best before date of december. However it turned out to be december the year before! It had a major slime coating, but I must have ate about a quarter pound before I realized what was up in my drunken state!

Oh, who was it here that was drunk, ate some donuts they found in a fridge in someone's garage and then woke up in the morning with their hands and mouth covered with green powder? That and the pickled squirrel head still gives me nightmares.

Forget the milk, this thread is making me sick. :yuck:

Milk is fine. As far as I know, there are no harmful bacteria in pasteurized milk, even if it sits out overnight.

This thread is past its expiration date.

:yuck:

Evo said:
Oh, who was it here that was drunk, ate some donuts they found in a fridge in someone's garage and then woke up in the morning with their hands and mouth covered with green powder? That and the pickled squirrel head still gives me nightmares.
You can thank Chronos for both of those.

Greg Bernhardt said:
To break the suspense, I ended up tossing it and buying a new cartoon :smile:
Cartoons are fun and all, but maybe you should have picked up some milk while you were out too. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Cartoons are fun and all, but maybe you should have picked up some milk while you were out too. :biggrin:

you miss are now on probation! :devil:

Greg Bernhardt said:
you miss are now on probation! :devil:
Evo, crank up the presses! I think I might need a LOT of GOOBF cards really soon! :bugeye: :eek: :rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:
"Get out of bed free" cards? moonbear I thought we agreed to keep this strickly professional :biggrin:

Sorry dear, I must be ovulating. :biggrin:

(And...what tricks are you up to now? My first attempt to quote you got a message that said "this forum not accepting new posts." :eek:)

Edit: Ha ha...I got the quote before you got it deleted! :tongue:

Moonbear said:
(And...what tricks are you up to now? My first attempt to quote you got a message that said "this forum not accepting new posts." :eek:)

Edit: Ha ha...I got the quote before you got it deleted! :tongue:

Maybe you're now in the "fun" usergroup, oops... :wink: :biggrin:

edit: stop editing! lol

I hate to interrupt you two, but are there any Get Into Bed Free cards, and if so, where can my friend get some?

A dozen should be enough for now.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
I hate to interrupt you two, but are there any Get Into Bed Free cards, and if so, where can my friend get some?
Your friend, huh? :uhh: :rolleyes:

I only asked for private lessons on double-clicking. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Your friend, huh? :uhh: :rolleyes:
she meant me. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
Ah. And which friend are you going to ask for them for? We know Greg has milk, anyone else have the kahlua?

[edit:I like to bang sticks on my upper left forehead.]

Math Is Hard said:
And you want two dozen instead? MIH, you minx.

Moonbear said:
Ah. And which friend are you going to ask for them for? We know Greg has milk, anyone else have the kahlua?
uhhh hello, white russians are like my fav drink, of course I have kahlua! but you're still on probation, you can have this flat coke. :devil:

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
uhhh hello, white russians are like my fav drink, of course I have kahlua! but you're still on probation, you can have this flat coke. :devil:
:frown: I sowwy. Can I at least have a flat Pepsi?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Psst... you forgot to tell her to go to your room.:wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
*perk* What's that? Could you say it a little louder? I couldn't quite hear you. :tongue2:

TheStatutoryApe said:
That actually works sometimes too. Seriously.

oh the things that can come from talking about spoiling milk. I haven't had this much fun since aol chatrooms in 95 :biggrin: