Register to reply

Calculate the potential

by stunner5000pt
Tags: potential
Share this thread:
stunner5000pt
Jan18-06, 03:18 PM
P: 1,439
the trajectory of a particle moving in a cnetral potential V(r) is given by [itex] r = a + b \sin(\eta \phi) [/itex] where a b and eta are constants

Compute the potential V(r) in which the particel moves (for arbitrary a, b, and eta) and sketch [itex] V_{eff} (r) = V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/itex] for cases a =b

sketching is not hte problem here.. i just need to find out V(r)
well i know that i need to compute the force f first and then integrate f w.r.t. r to get V(r)
find find [tex] u = \frac{1}{r} = \frac{1}{a + b \sin(\eta \phi)} [/tex]
then using [tex] f = -\frac{L^2 u^2}{m} (u'' + u) [/tex]
and [tex] u '' = \frac{2b^2 \eta^2 \cos^2 (\eta \phi)}{r^3} + \frac{b \eta^2 \sin(\eta \phi)}{r^2} [/tex] (phew!)

once i sub expressions for u'' and u i get
[tex] f(r) = - \frac{L^2}{mr^2} \left( \frac{2b^2 \eta^2 \cos^2 (\eta \phi)}{r^3} + \frac{b \eta^2 \sin(\eta \phi)}{r^2} \right)+ \frac{1}{r} [/tex]
is that fine? Can i simplify that any more in terms of r?

are the steps correct? Any problems with the derivative? Just need to know if i can simplify any further.
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'

Register to reply