How Do I Calculate Velocity from Mass and Kinetic Energy?

• Thread starter truckerron1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Ron is a new student struggling with a physics problem involving mass, kinetic energy, and velocity. He has written the equation for kinetic energy and is unsure how to solve for velocity. After receiving help, he learns to isolate the variable and solve using algebra before substituting in the numbers. He expresses gratitude for the assistance and mentions being a non-traditional student in his final semester of obtaining a degree.
truckerron1
hi I am new and new to physics i am have a lot of trouble with this problem

mass =1.3kg
41.5J
how do i get the velocity

so far i have it wrote like this
41.5J=1/2(1.3kg)(v)^2

but don't know how else to do please help thanks ron

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation KE=1/2mv^2 says that the kinetic energy is equal to half of the mass of the object times the object's velocity squared. So you need to solve for velocity (v). Isolate the v variable using algebra (try to get v by itself on one side of the equation).

Last edited:
KE=1/2mv^2
41,5J=1/2*1,3*v^2
41,5J/(1/2*1,3)=1/2*1,3*v^2/1/2*1,3
63,8=v^2
sqrt(63,8)=v
v=7,98 m/s

You will find that it is easier to do your algebra BEFORE plugging in the numbers. You have

[tex] \mbox{KE} = \frac 1 2 m v^2 [/tex]
then
[tex] 2 \mbox{KE} = m v^2 [/tex]
then

[tex] 2 \frac {\mbox{KE}} m = v^2 [/tex]

so

[tex] v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{KE}} m } [/tex]

Now you can substitute in your numbers and arrive at the numeric solution.

Last edited:
thank you for the help i have been out of school 24 years and this is my last semester for my degree thanks ron

1. What is the equation for kinetic energy?

The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity or speed of the object.

2. How does kinetic energy relate to an object's motion?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The faster an object is moving, the more kinetic energy it has.

3. Is kinetic energy a scalar or vector quantity?

Kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. This is because it is the square of a vector (velocity) and therefore always positive.

4. What are the units of kinetic energy?

The units of kinetic energy are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system. Other equivalent units include kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2) and electron volts (eV).

5. How does mass and velocity affect kinetic energy?

The mass of an object has a direct relationship with kinetic energy, meaning the greater the mass, the more kinetic energy it has. Velocity has an even greater impact on kinetic energy, as it is squared in the equation. This means that a small increase in velocity can result in a large increase in kinetic energy.