Share this thread:
chroot
Feb1-06, 04:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Quote Quote by Anttech
I feel for you Warren, but you cant blame Islam for that.
I'm not blaming Islam.
They (Islam) have the right to wave there hands, scream, shout, burn flags, etc etc... And we have the same right to just ignore them...
I don't care about waving hands, screaming, shouting, or burning flags. They can do that for the next decade if they want. I just condemn the death threats and bomb threats the newspaper has since endured.

- Warren
devious_
Feb1-06, 04:06 PM
P: 347
Anyway, I'm gonna go away now. I really don't like participating in political/religious discussions because most of the time they're pointless.

All what I was trying to say was that the cartoon can easily be considered very offensive by any Muslim, and hence they have the right to react (within reason -- and bombing and kill is clearly not within reason!) and not accept being mocked.
chroot
Feb1-06, 04:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by devious_
All what I was trying to say was that the cartoon can easily be considered very offensive by any Muslims, and hence they have the right to react (within reason -- and bombing and kill is clearly not within reason!) and not accept being mocked.
Agreed, in toto.

- Warren
Anttech
Feb1-06, 04:08 PM
P: 1,401
To be honest I bundle this within "Screaming and waving hands" Maybe I should take the threats more seriously. But this is almost daily service in the ME right now..
Moonbear
Feb1-06, 04:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by devious_
Anyway, I'm gonna go away now. I really don't like participating in political/religious discussions because most of the time they're pointless.

All what I was trying to say was that the cartoon can easily be considered very offensive by any Muslim, and hence they have the right to react (within reason -- and bombing and kill is clearly not within reason!) and not accept being mocked.
Then I'm not even sure what the argument was about. I thought you were trying to defend the actions of the extremists who were threatening to bomb the newspaper offices. Since now I see you weren't, I think we actually all agree here, more or less.
chroot
Feb1-06, 04:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Well, I personally feel that "screaming" and "threatening to kill someone" are two distinct categories of response. These people do regularly conduct bombings, so at least some of their threats are not empty.

- Warren
Azael
Feb1-06, 04:14 PM
P: 324
Quote Quote by devious_

I agree aswell. 3 pages of discussion when we all agree
chroot
Feb1-06, 04:15 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Well, hey, that sure beats most threads in this forum. :)

- Warren
Anttech
Feb1-06, 04:15 PM
ohh by the way I also Aggree :)
Anttech
Feb1-06, 04:24 PM
Some french paper has just published the pictures on its front page with "We have the right to caracturise God"

Under a headline "Yes, we have the right to caricature God," the paper ran a front page cartoon with Buddha, the Christian and Jewish Gods and the Prophet Mohammed sitting on a cloud above Earth, with the Christian God saying: "Don't complain Mohammed, we've all been caricatured here."
http://www.natashatynes.org/newswire..._paper_re.html

Stirring the pot? lol
Bilal
Feb1-06, 04:27 PM
P: 407
Although there was great respect to Denmark in Arab world and economical relations, this country (nation and goverment) are used to be anti Arab since decades. They always great supporters of the Zionists. Also they invaded Iraq with USA.

However, it is not just caricatures , here how the problem started:
15/04/2005)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...5/ixworld.html

“Queen Margrethe II of Denmark has called on the country "to show our opposition to Islam", regardless of the opprobium such a stance provokes abroad.”
She said: "We are being challenged by Islam these years - globally as well as locally. It is a challenge we have to take seriously. We have let this issue float about for too long because we are tolerant and lazy.
"We have to show our opposition to Islam and we have to, at times, run the risk of having unflattering labels placed on us because there are some things for which we should display no tolerance."
"And when we are tolerant, we must know whether it is because of convenience or conviction."
Few months ago, the ME media mentioned that one of Danish newspapers suggested establishing ‘’isolated camps” for Muslims in Europe ….

Danish PM rejected to meet the ambassadors of several Muslims (including Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bosnia ...) countries and ignored them!

Danish PM ignored the request of the Arab league and the Islamic global conference ………

After such dramatic behavior of the Denmark toward the East, the people in Arab and Islamic worlds decided to express their personal freedom by boycotting their products ….
Anttech
Feb1-06, 04:33 PM
Bilab, sorry Mate you "quoting out of context" on this one.

She was talking about intergration, she wanted people who migrate there to learn Danish so they can intergrate into Denmark better. Right now they the second biggest religion in Denmark is Islam, and it is growing. She was calling on all Citizans to become Danish... regardless of Relgion..

(And the Telegraph is a right wing "rag")

Her Speech is less edited here

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=13230
Bilal
Feb1-06, 04:39 PM
Quote Quote by Anttech
Bilab, sorry Mate you "quoting out of context" on this one.

She was talking about intergration, she wanted people who migrate there to learn Danish so they can intergrate into Denmark better. Right now they the second biggest religion in Denmark is Islam, and it is growing. She was calling on all Citizans to become Danish... regardless of Relgion..
I agree, but this is not what indicated by the Arabic media ... they mentioned her comments as ''new crusade”.... unfortunately the Danish goverment did not do enough to explain the situation...

The same concerning the caricatures , there are several governments who decided to make a big problem after the Danish government rejected to meet their ambassadors. They asked the media to focus on this issue . Some of these governments want to become popular among their people by making more pressure on Denmark.
Bilal
Feb2-06, 07:26 PM
I am disappointed from this problem. I am also surprised from such unexpected reaction from many people in Islamic world. It seems they want to put all their anger on Denmark.

I wish to see good relations between Denmark and ME soon ......
BobG
Feb2-06, 09:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by chroot
Is mocking the Pope because some priest fondled children somehow not crossing the same line?
Not to single you out, since a few seem to have missed what the newspaper actually did. Yours just provides the perfect contrast.

A cartoon of the Pope fondling children would not be equivalent to a cartoon of Mohammed wearing a "bomb" turban. To be equivalent, the cartoon would have to depict Jesus fondling children. Depicting Jesus as a child molester would spark some serious outrage even in the US.
russ_watters
Feb2-06, 10:32 PM
Mentor
P: 22,239
Quote Quote by devious_
Ugh...

The cartoon could have easily depicted a random extremist, but instead they chose to mock Mohammad, the prophet of Islam. That is just crossing the line.

The fact that the average Joe thinks all Muslims are suicide-bombing fanatics and lunatics is precisely what is causing the outrage! The media is just helping spread this point of view.
You utterly miss the point of this caricature - and, I think, why the reaction is so violent: Since radical Islamists use their religion as the justification for terrorism, it is they who are putting that bomb on Mohammed's head. That is why they get so upset about it - it shines a bright spotlight on their hypocrisy.
Moonbear: I know, but what I've been trying to say is that the cartoonist didn't have to use Mohammad to portray his message.
He most certainly did have to use Mohammed - to just use a terrorist would not only be redundant, it wouldn't show the contradiction that the cartoon was designed to show.
Where did I say that I supported the death threats and such? In fact, like any other sane person, I'm completely opposed to them.
You are taking this awfully personally for someone who is not the target of such caricatures. If you are a peaceful Muslim, then that caricature is saying nothing at all about you and is only pointing out that those who are terrorists are not faithful followers of Islam.

I'm a Christian. I'm against using Christianity as a justification for violence. Some Christians use it as a justification for bombing abortion clinics or killing doctors. So a characature similar to the one we're discussing above could show Jesus throwing a firebomb or holding a sniper rifle. The point would be the same and a peaceful Christian would not be offended by it because it is CORRECT in pointing out the hypocrisy.
russ_watters
Feb2-06, 10:44 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by devious_
I also agree that people should be free to do what they want (within reason). Moreover, I feel that people should have be free to feel offended and act accordingly.
Define "act accordingly" in the context of the Muslims who have threatened to start kidnapping and killing random foreigners as a result of this.
russ_watters
Feb2-06, 10:46 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Then I'm not even sure what the argument was about. I thought you were trying to defend the actions of the extremists who were threatening to bomb the newspaper offices. Since now I see you weren't, I think we actually all agree here, more or less.
Actually, the start was the argument that the paper shouldn't have published the cartoon in the first place.

Register to reply