Design of a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)

by Logik
Tags: design, microscope, scanning, tunneling
Logik
Feb4-06, 02:49 PM
P: 33
Hi, for my integration class I am building a scanning tunnelling microscope (STM). I found some interesting designs and I choose the cheapest one (students are poor) witch uses a unimorph disk. The mechanical approach of the microscope is fairly simple but I am sure it could be improve. I am no way near an engineer as I'm still in CEGEP (witch is grade 13 equivalent) so I need help and suggestions.

Here is the design I am planning to reproduce: http://www.geocities.com/spm_stm/Mec...scription.html.
Basically it's 2 aluminium plates with tree screws that control the height of the tip.

So my questions are:
Is aluminium good for this or is there other material better to reduce resonance.
Would a design with two or four screws be easier to adjust height?
Would it be easier to use motors to control the screws and if so how?
To reduce vibration I plan to suspend the rig on springs and a heavy weight, is that going to be enough?
Should I put the rig inside a glass shield to reduce air vibration?

If you have any other suggestions don't be shy, I am opened to anything. Also don't be scared of being too technical, I will figure it out or read around to understand it.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I will also post in the electrical engineering section and in quantum physics one for other questions. So if you are interested about other part or have a lot of knowledge on STM's you can go to the two other threads.
Electrical engineering
Quantum physics
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes

Register to reply