Motion Diagram and Gravity Graphing Question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to construct motion graphs for a stone being thrown upward and falling down a cliff, ignoring air resistance. The motion diagram given shows the stone's motion in one second intervals. To construct the graph for the stone's vertical displacement, the equations y(t) = yo + 1/2 a t^2 and v(t) = vo + at can be used. The conversation also mentions using the initial velocity and acceleration to find the displacement at a specific time, but the result may not be within the bounds for drawing the graph.
DefaultName
A stone is thrown upward from the edge of a cliff, reaches its maximum height, and then falls down into the valley below. A motion diagram for this situation is given View Figure https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6246&stc=1&d=1139278282 , beginning the instant the stone leaves the thrower’s hand. Construct the corresponding motion graphs. Ignore air resistance. In all three motion graphs, one unit of time is equivalent to one unit of time (one second) in the given motion diagram.

Construct a graph corresponding to the stone's vertical displacement, y(t).

Ok, I know that the intial position is 0. However, when I want to find the displacement value at t = 2... I do this:

I use Vf = Vo + at to find the intial velocity thrown above.. I use -9.8 for a, t for 2, vf for 0 since it's at the top.

Then I plug the Vo into Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2as, and solve for s.

However, I get 19.6 and that isn't within bounds for me to draw the graph..

What am I doing wrong? or Could I use another technique?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1013373.jpg
    1013373.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,096
Physics news on Phys.org
Uniform acceleration, -9.8 m/s2, i.e. acceleration is downward.

Two equations:

y(t) = yo + 1/2 a t2 gives y(t), neglecting wind resistance.

v(t) = vo + at

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and thought process. It seems like you are on the right track in terms of understanding the concepts involved in constructing a motion graph for this scenario.

To answer your question, the issue may lie in the units you are using. In the given motion diagram, one unit of time is equivalent to one second. However, you are using the value of -9.8 for acceleration, which is in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2). To match the units of time, you should use -9.8 m/s^2 for acceleration.

Also, when using the equation Vf = Vo + at, it is important to consider the direction of the acceleration. In this case, the stone is moving upward, so the acceleration should be positive. Therefore, the equation would be Vf = Vo + 9.8t. This would result in a final velocity of 19.6 m/s at t = 2 seconds.

Using this value in the equation Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2as, we can solve for s and get a displacement value of 19.6 meters. This is within the bounds of the given motion diagram, so you should be able to plot it on your graph.

In terms of using another technique, you could also use the equation y = yo + vot + 1/2at^2 to find the displacement at a specific time. In this case, yo (initial position) and vo (initial velocity) would both be 0, and the equation would simplify to y = 1/2at^2. Plugging in the values of a = 9.8 m/s^2 and t = 2 seconds would also result in a displacement of 19.6 meters.

I hope this helps clarify the issue and provides you with some additional techniques for constructing motion graphs. Keep up the good work!

What is a motion diagram?

A motion diagram is a visual representation of an object's motion over time. It shows the position of the object at different points in time, along with the direction and speed of its motion.

How is a motion diagram different from a graph?

A motion diagram is a visual representation of motion, while a graph is a mathematical representation. A motion diagram shows the actual path of the object and its motion, while a graph shows numerical data and relationships between variables.

What information can be obtained from a motion diagram?

A motion diagram can provide information about an object's position, displacement, velocity, and acceleration over time. It can also show the direction and magnitude of these quantities.

What is the relationship between motion and gravity?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. The motion of an object is affected by gravity, as it causes the object to accelerate towards the center of the Earth. This acceleration due to gravity is constant and can be represented on a motion diagram or graph.

How can a motion diagram and gravity graph be used to analyze motion?

A motion diagram and gravity graph can be used to analyze an object's motion by providing visual representations of its position, velocity, and acceleration. These tools can help identify patterns, changes in motion, and the effects of external forces, such as gravity, on the object.