Exploring G-Forces in Space and Light Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of experiencing G-forces in space and the reason for the speed of light being 3e8 m/s. It is mentioned that even if technology allowed for faster travel, the human body may not be able to handle the G-forces. The speed of light is attributed to two constants, mu0 and epsilon0, and it is currently believed to be constant based on experiments. The conversation also touches on the experience of gravity in space and how it affects objects and astronauts.
teken894
I've been pondering this in my tiny mind for a couple of minutes, but I can't figure it out..

1. Can a person experience G-Forces in space? so...if I'm accelerating in space, do i feel a g-force? SO...if we do feel g-forces, then even if technology allowed for (say .5c ) travel, it might take years to accelrate to/decelerate from that speed as the our bodies can't take the forces of the acceleration??

2. Also...another random question...why is the speed of light 3e8 m/s? i get the GR and stuff ...but is there any comprehensible explanaiton (if there is one) of why the speed of light is at that speed? why not 4e8 m/s or greater...WHy is light itself limited to that speed?

I don't mean why can't we travel faster than 3e8, i want to know why light travels at that speed? why is it that photons can only achieve the speed of 3e8 m/s.

Thx in advance,
IM a HS student that's curious

Physics news on Phys.org
lets say you were in a stationary bus (sitting, standing). When the bus starts moving do you feel a 'force' pushing you back against the direction of motion?
Now in space there is no significant gravity to pull you down. So when the ship were to start accelerating you would feel teh same as you would on a bus.

im not well experienced in this and i may be wrong on this but i know that the speed of light depends on 2 constants
[tex] C = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}}} [/tex]
mu0 being the permeability
epsilon0 be the permittivity of free space
they are measured values, measured from experiments. Even when Einsten made his theory of relativity he made the assumption (postulate) taht the speed of light is constant but we don't know as of yet is tahts true or not.

stunner5000pt said:
Now in space there is no significant gravity to pull you down.
Even if there was, you wouldn't feel it since it would pull you and your spaceship equally.

The astronauts on the shuttle experience gravity that is about 90% that of the surface of Earth. Yet they are in a weightless environment.

What are G-forces and how do they affect astronauts in space?

G-forces, or gravitational forces, are the forces exerted on objects due to gravity. In space, astronauts experience G-forces when accelerating or decelerating, which can cause them to feel weightless or experience increased pressure. This can affect their bodies and can even cause health problems if not managed properly.

How do scientists measure and study G-forces in space?

Scientists use instruments such as accelerometers to measure G-forces in space. These devices can measure the amount of acceleration and deceleration an object experiences, which can then be used to study the effects of G-forces on astronauts and spacecraft.

What is light speed and why is it important in space exploration?

Light speed, also known as the speed of light, is the fastest speed at which energy can travel in the universe. In space exploration, it is important because it determines how quickly spacecraft can travel and how long it takes for information to be transmitted back to Earth. It also plays a role in understanding the properties of the universe.

What are some of the challenges of traveling at light speed?

One of the main challenges of traveling at light speed is the enormous amount of energy required. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases exponentially, making it more difficult to accelerate. Additionally, time dilation occurs, meaning that time passes slower for the object traveling at light speed compared to those observing it from a stationary position.

Are there any potential benefits of traveling at light speed?

Yes, traveling at light speed could potentially allow us to explore distant parts of the universe and reach other star systems within a reasonable amount of time. It could also lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe. However, there are still many challenges and limitations that need to be overcome before this becomes a reality.