Chocolate overdose?

by Pengwuino
Tags: chocolate, overdose
Share this thread:
Pengwuino
Feb14-06, 12:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Is it possible to overdose on chocolate like it is possible to get alcohol poisoning? Some day I want to just go into a store, buy 1 or 2 of everything on the candy isle, and pig out but i don't want to die
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Cyrus
Feb14-06, 12:29 AM
P: 4,777
It can kill dogs, so why not birds?
loseyourname
Feb14-06, 01:04 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 3,634
You'd die of your stomach exploding before you'd die of poisoning from anything in the chocolate, unless it was laced.

Mk
Feb14-06, 01:39 AM
P: 2,056
Chocolate overdose?

n WHO WOULD DO THAT!!!! n
Mattara
Feb14-06, 04:05 AM
P: 398
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Is it possible to overdose on chocolate like it is possible to get alcohol poisoning? Some day I want to just go into a store, buy 1 or 2 of everything on the candy isle, and pig out but i don't want to die
Yes it is possible to OD on chocolate. Well, technically it is an OD on sugar.

Gert Fyllking of the Swedish radio station RIX FM carried out an experiment in live radio, where he tried to see if he could get drunk from enough chocolate containing liqueur (it was a part of a section that is called "ask us" where the listeners send in questions that they want an answer for and the crew finds the answers).

Needless to say, he didn't succeed. After having devouered around 30 of them in a short period of time, he got so sick that he couldn't continue eating them.

After the experiment they asked an M.D. about why this occured. The M.D. answered that after a while the human body gets a sugar shock and you basically can't eat more. This was becuase the blood-sugar level in your body is so high and since it was eaten during such a short time period the insulin couldn't counter much of it that you feel sick and is therefore unable to continue eating.

I'd say that this qualifies as a form of poisioning, since it has simillarities to alcohol poisoning.

So yes, you can have an OD by eating chocolate, but it must contain sugar and it must be consumed over a short period of time.

NOTE: Maybe move this to biology?
FredGarvin
Feb14-06, 06:45 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
I bet you could hear that guy's pancreas screaming a mile away.
TheStatutoryApe
Feb14-06, 04:12 PM
P: 1,550
Well there's this article...
http://www.uspressnews.com/articles/1104

Register to reply