Register to reply

Spherical coordinates

by ak416
Tags: coordinates, spherical
Share this thread:
ak416
Feb17-06, 01:06 AM
P: 123
Hi, im having trouble with spherical coordinates. For example, how do you express the unit vectors x hat, y hat, z hat in terms of the spherical unit vectors r hat, theta hat, phi hat. I was able to go from spherical in terms of cartesian (with the help of mathworld.wolfram.com) but I cant get the other way. All i can think of is dR/dx / [dR/dx] = x hat where R is the position vectors in terms of spherical coords. I dont fully understand this but i saw this done as a derivation of theta hat in terms of x,y,z hat. So any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
0rthodontist
Feb17-06, 10:34 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,253
Do you visually know what they are? If you draw a picture you can use trigonometry. Phi is the angle down from the z axis, theta is the angle counterclockwise from the x axis, and r is the length of the vector. I'm sure you know how to change from polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates. Try this approach: project the vector straight down onto the xy plane so that you have theta and s, where s is the length of that projection, and don't worry about what s is exactly yet. You can find x and y in terms of theta and s by conversion from polar coordinates. Then if you can use trigonometry to find an expression for s in terms of r and phi, you can substitute that expression into your intermediate expressions for x and y. And you can find z easily straight from r and phi.

There are other ways of doing it, probably some of them are simpler.
blueyellow
Jan3-12, 07:51 AM
P: 241
Is it just r-hat cos theta? I am not sure. Please tell me if anyone knows.

fluidistic
Jan3-12, 08:12 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,188
Spherical coordinates

Quote Quote by blueyellow View Post
Is it just r-hat cos theta? I am not sure. Please tell me if anyone knows.
Have a look at http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126702.

Register to reply