Trouble Understanding Replacement for Radii in Proof Problem

• Thread starter batman394
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof problem that involves replacing r/R and using integration by parts. The book has examples up until this point but does not explain the jump from radii to the n term. The person has obtained a solution from the professor but still does not understand the reasoning behind it. They mention that the inner radius is r, the outer is R, and the n term is the ratio of centerline velocity and average velocity. They also suggest using integration by parts to solve the problem, but it is a difficult process.
batman394
THis is more of a proof problem. I worked the problem up until the point where it begins a replacement for r/R.

The book has enough examples to understand it up until that point.. but then it jumps from radii to simply the n term.

I got a copy of the solution from the professor and I just don't get why they do that. I can't integrate that function in any way to get that new n-based equation.

Any ideas on what's going on? I can't find anything in the book on that.

Attachments

• Pages from Fluids_Solutions.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,108
Physics news on Phys.org
so we've sort of got it figured out.. the inner radius is r. the outer is R. the n in the system is just the ratio of the centerline velocity, and average velocity. relate that to the r and R.
and you can have n = r/R = u(bar) / u(c) ... and do a replacement and then do integration by parts.. and it all works out.. eventually.. the intergration by parts was a pain.

As a fellow scientist, I understand your frustration in trying to understand this proof problem. It is not uncommon for textbooks or professors to skip steps or make assumptions that may not be clear to students. In order to fully understand the replacement for radii in this proof problem, it may be helpful to review the previous examples and make sure you have a solid understanding of the concepts and equations being used. Additionally, it may be beneficial to reach out to your professor or classmates for clarification and to discuss the problem in more detail. Sometimes, having a different perspective or explanation can help make things click. If you are still having trouble, there are also online resources and forums where you can ask for help from other experts in the field. Don't be afraid to ask for help and keep persevering, as understanding and solving complex problems is a crucial part of being a scientist.

What is the concept of radii in geometry?

Radii, or radius in singular form, refers to the distance from the center of a circle to its circumference. It is essentially half of the diameter of the circle.

What is the role of radii in geometry proofs?

Radii are often used in geometry proofs to show congruence or equality between different parts of a circle. They can also be used to help determine the length or measurement of different angles or line segments.

Why do people have trouble understanding replacement for radii in proof problems?

The concept of replacement for radii can be confusing because it involves substituting one radius for another in a proof. This can be especially challenging when dealing with multiple radii in a single proof.

How can someone improve their understanding of replacement for radii in proof problems?

One way to improve understanding is to practice working with different examples and using visual aids, such as diagrams, to help visualize the concept. It can also be helpful to break down the proof into smaller steps and focus on one radius at a time.

Are there any tips for solving proof problems involving replacement for radii?

Some tips for solving these types of proof problems include carefully identifying and labeling all radii in the given figure, using the properties of circles and radii to make substitutions, and using algebraic equations or theorems to prove the desired statement.