Register to reply

Wireless internet opposed due to health risks

Share this thread:
Mk
Feb23-06, 11:49 PM
P: 2,056
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060223/...anada_internet
A small Canadian university has ruled out campus-wide wireless Internet access because its president fears the system's electromagnetic forces could pose a risk to students' health.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Cyrus
Feb23-06, 11:54 PM
P: 4,777
I guess they walk around with CAT-5 extension cords on spools.
chroot
Feb24-06, 12:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
And they, do, in fact, have a science department.

- Warren

TheStatutoryApe
Feb24-06, 02:36 AM
P: 1,550
Wireless internet opposed due to health risks

Quote Quote by chroot
And they, do, in fact, have a science department.

- Warren
The man apparently has a degree in biology and zoology.
Pengwuino
Feb24-06, 02:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
"The jury is still out on the impact that electromagnetic forces have on human physiology,"
Anyone remember 'the jury is still out on evolution'?
rachmaninoff
Feb24-06, 04:18 AM
P: n/a
He is currently a Board Member of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (Vice-Chair) and the Northwestern Ontario Technology Centre. He also is a member of the Advisory Council to the Nuclear Waste Management Organization.
http://www.lakeheadu.ca/about/bios.php?id=7
:
Moonbear
Feb24-06, 09:00 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
And I thought I had to deal with crazy beaurocratic rules about IT here! Why is it that the person who makes the final decision on these things is always someone who doesn't understand the technology and who doesn't understand the users' needs either?
Alexander Demets
Feb24-06, 09:43 AM
P: 4
Well, then this President should ban cell phone either.
Because the have a trasmitting power of about 5 W, while WLAN has about 25 mW !
So beeing surrounded by by >100 cell phones is much more risky than those few acces points.

And with Quadband or even UMTS also the frequenzy is relativly equal, isn't it?
What I can't understand is, that the frequenzy of those devices is so high, that the energy is maybe high, but they're just going about 1 cm into our body. So what could those things influence besides some thermic values?

I would appreciate to see a study which says with 100 % that electromagnetic fields are or are not a health risk! I simply don't like running in a world around without knowing those kind of things.

Alexander
franznietzsche
Feb24-06, 10:46 AM
P: 1,783
Quote Quote by Alexander Demets
Well, then this President should ban cell phone either.
Because the have a trasmitting power of about 5 W, will WLAN uses about 25 mW !
So beeing surrounded by by >100 cell phones is much more risky than those few acces points.

And with Quadband or even UMTS also the frequenzy is relativly equal, isn't it?
What I can't understand is, that the frequenzy of those devices is so high that the energy is maybe high, but they're just going about 1 cm into our body. So what could those things influence besides some thermic values?

I would appreciate to see a study which says with 100 % that electromagetic fields are or are not a health risk! I simply don't like running in a world around without knowing those kind of things.

Alexander

As far as I know, they'd affect absolutley notihng. Even lithium, one of the most easily ionizable metals takes 3.6 eV to be ionized. At 2.4 GHz each photon is still onle [tex]9.9 \times 10^{-6} eV[/tex]. I'm pretty sure that there is no atom that will ionize with so little energy. So, there should be zero cancer risk. In fact, the random neutrons flying around from cosmic ray collisions are far more dangerous to you. As is the C-14 in your body.
DrDeath
Feb24-06, 10:51 AM
P: 47
i wonder if he has banned them sunbathing on the campus lawns during sunny periods, as this can also cause cancer! does he ban them drinking alcohol as it can cause liver damage, has he banned them driving as there are many ways this can kill someone.

the list is endless, but the common sense in the man is non-existent
franznietzsche
Feb24-06, 11:14 AM
Oh, for comparison:

2.4 Ghz WLAN EM radiation: [tex] 9.9 \times 10^-6[/tex] eV / photon
300 nm UV (can cause cancer): [tex] 4.14 [/tex] eV /photon
Gamma ray emitted by your body naturally every time a hydrogen atom in your body absorbs an ambient neutron: [tex]0.511 \times 10^6 [/tex] eV / photon

The second one can ionize atoms in your body, which can cause cancer. The first, can't do much of anything. And the third, which occurs naturally all the time is far more dangerous than either (although far less common than ambient UV radiation from the sun).
DrDeath
Feb24-06, 11:16 AM
so he should infact be allowing them to have wirless connections and mobile phones, but force them to stay constantly indoors with curtains closed to avoid the sun
russ_watters
Feb24-06, 11:49 AM
Mentor
P: 22,294
Hippies piss me off. Especially hippies who are supposed to be scientists.
DrDeath
Feb24-06, 04:02 PM
where are hippies mentioned? the man is obviously some kind of buffoon, possiably even a technophobe, but i wouldnt call him a hippy
Pengwuino
Feb24-06, 04:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Quote Quote by Moonbear
And I thought I had to deal with crazy beaurocratic rules about IT here! Why is it that the person who makes the final decision on these things is always someone who doesn't understand the technology and who doesn't understand the users' needs either?
Ohh ohh!! We just had some crap with our IT department here. They found out we had a wireless router in our undergraduate study room allowing the 1 ethernet port to serve teh whole room instead of just 1 computer. Well they found out and demanded we get rid of it. Then they said if we wanted more IP's, they would charge us like $300 per IP. And it's stupid because if you walk right ouside our door, you can pick up the campus's wireless network thats available for student use.
chroot
Feb24-06, 04:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
These are the reasons my engineering design department almost never calls our actual corporate IT monkeys (unless we have to have a laptop replaced, etc.). They almost invariably make things worse. Our design department actually employs two "CAD engineers" who essentially comprise our own private IT department without being called one, and they actually have some sense.

- Warren
franznietzsche
Feb24-06, 05:10 PM
Quote Quote by chroot
These are the reasons my engineering design department almost never calls our actual corporate IT monkeys (unless we have to have a laptop replaced, etc.). They almost invariably make things worse. Our design department actually employs two "CAD engineers" who essentially comprise our own private IT department without being called one, and they actually have some sense.

- Warren

This guy isn't in the IT department though, he's a beaureaucrat.
Moonbear
Feb24-06, 05:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
This guy isn't in the IT department though, he's a beaureaucrat.
Yeah, that's the problem I'm running into...the IT department isn't a problem, it's the beaurocrat who has to give authorization for something I need who is holding up the process because he can't understand why I'd need what I'm asking for...grr...I know what I need, the director of IT knows why I need it (yep, went all the way to the director...phew...next level up would have been another beaurocrat, which would have killed me), and IT is willing and able to give me what I need, but the beaurocrat, in his little mind, can't quite figure out why that's important and won't authorize it.

Register to reply