Register to reply

Equivalent Resistance Question

by wr1015
Tags: equivalent, resistance
Share this thread:
wr1015
Feb25-06, 03:42 PM
P: 55
Find the equivalent resistance between points A and B for the group of resistors shown in Figure 21-29, where R1 = 93 and R2 = 40 .

ok i know that [tex]R_{1}[/tex] and 35[tex]\Omega[/tex] are in series and [tex]R_{2}[/tex] is in parallel to the top 2 resistors but I am obviously making errors either in how i set up the problem or in my calculations. I have tried (1/[tex]R_{2}[/tex]) + (1/2R) = 3/2R (as shown in my book) and then invert to show 2/3(R) and the answer i'm getting is wrong.. please help
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Physics Monkey
Feb25-06, 04:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,334
You should first combine the two resistors in series, and then combine the result with the other resistor in parallel. What are the laws of combination for resistors in series? What about parallel?
wr1015
Feb25-06, 04:09 PM
Quote Quote by Physics Monkey
You should first combine the two resistors in series, and then combine the result with the other resistor in parallel. What are the laws of combination for resistors in series? What about parallel?
for series: [tex]R_{eq} = R_{1}+R_{2}+R_{3}...[/tex]
for parallel: [tex]1/R_{eq}= 1/R_{1}+1/R_{2}+1/R_{3}...[/tex]

so you're saying: 93[tex]\Omega[/tex]+35[tex]\Omega[/tex]+(1/40[tex]\Omega[/tex]) OR (1/93 +35) + (1/40) ???

wr1015
Feb25-06, 04:17 PM
Equivalent Resistance Question

nevermind i'm an idiot.. i was forgetting to take the inverse of the answer
Physics Monkey
Feb25-06, 04:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,334
Quote Quote by wr1015
so you're saying: 93[tex]\Omega[/tex]+35[tex]\Omega[/tex]+(1/40[tex]\Omega[/tex]) OR (1/93 +35) + (1/40) ???
Clearly the first statement can't be right since you're adding things that have different units. The second looks ok as long as you mean 1/(93+35). Like I said, first combine the two resistors in series. Take that result and combine it with the other resistor in parallel.
wr1015
Feb25-06, 04:23 PM
Quote Quote by Physics Monkey
Clearly the first statement can't be right since you're adding things that have different units. The second looks ok as long as you mean 1/(93+35). Like I said, first combine the two resistors in series. Take that result and combine it with the other resistor in parallel.
thanks for the help

Register to reply