Solve the Stone Drop Problem: Acceleration of 9.8m/s^2

• Thread starter emma123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Echo
In summary, the problem involves finding the total time it takes for a stone to fall from a height of 122.5 m and for the sound of the stone hitting the bottom to travel back up to the top. The first part of the problem requires calculating the time it takes for the stone to fall using the acceleration of gravity, which is 9.8m/s^2. The second part involves finding the time it takes for the sound to travel from the bottom of the well to the top. The total time can be found by adding t1 and t2 together.
emma123
i need help on the following problem:
"carol drops a stone into a mine shaft 122.5 m deep. How soon after she drops the stone does she hear it hit the bottom of the shaft?"
i know that the acceleration is 9.8m/s^2 but i can't use it as speed in the speed=distance/time equation
please help me. thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Break the problem into two parts.

Calculate t1, the time it takes the stone to fall from her hand to the bottom of the well.

Then find t2, the time it takes the sound to travel from the bottom of the well to the top.

The total time is just t1 + t2.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for the distance an object falls under constant acceleration, which is d = 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the distance is 122.5m and the acceleration is 9.8m/s^2. We can plug these values into the equation and solve for t.

122.5m = 1/2(9.8m/s^2)t^2

244.5m = 9.8m/s^2t^2

t^2 = 244.5m/9.8m/s^2

t^2 = 24.95s^2

t = √24.95s^2

t = 4.99s

Therefore, it would take approximately 4.99 seconds for Carol to hear the stone hit the bottom of the shaft after dropping it.

What is the Stone Drop Problem?

The Stone Drop Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the acceleration of an object due to gravity. It is commonly used to demonstrate the effects of gravity on falling objects.

What is the acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 in the Stone Drop Problem?

The acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This value is used in the Stone Drop Problem because it is the average value of Earth's gravitational acceleration.

How do you solve the Stone Drop Problem?

To solve the Stone Drop Problem, you need to use the equation a = g, where a is the acceleration of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You also need to know the initial velocity and time of the object.

Why is the acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 important in the Stone Drop Problem?

The acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 is important in the Stone Drop Problem because it is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This value is used to calculate the velocity and position of an object as it falls.

Can the acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 change in the Stone Drop Problem?

The acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 is a constant value on Earth and does not change in the Stone Drop Problem. However, this value may differ on other planets or celestial bodies with varying gravitational forces.