Series with Factorial

by dekoi
Tags: factorial, series
Share this thread:
dekoi
Mar11-06, 12:35 PM
P: n/a
I don't understand this conversion!
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{sin(n\pi /2)}{n!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!} [/tex]

I know that the numerator of the left side is 0 when n is an even number. When n is odd, the numerator is either +1 or -1. But how do i continue?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
HallsofIvy
Mar11-06, 01:05 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
Quote Quote by dekoi
I don't understand this conversion!
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{sin(n\pi /2)}{n!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!} [/tex]

I know that the numerator of the left side is 0 when n is an even number. When n is odd, the numerator is either +1 or -1. But how do i continue?
AS you say, if n is even then sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex])= 0. Let n= 2m+1 so that for every m= 1, 2, 3,... n is odd. Notice that [itex]sin(\frac{\pi}{2})= 1[/itex], [itex]sin(\frac{3\pi}{2})= -1[/itex], [itex]sin(\frac{5\pi}{2})= 1[/itex] etc. In other words, [itex]sin(\frac{(2m+1)\pi}{2}[/itex] is 1 if m even (0, 2, etc.) and -1 is m is odd.
[tex]sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})= sin(\frac{(2m+1)\pi}{2})= (-1)^m[/tex]
so we have
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})}{n!}= \sum_{m=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^m}{(2m+1)!}[/tex]

Since m is a "dummy variable" (it just denotes a place in the series and doesn't appear in the final sum) just replace m by n to get the result you have- the two "n"s on either side of the equation have different meanings.
dekoi
Mar11-06, 01:34 PM
P: n/a
How come the lower limit was replaced by 0 from 1?

Thanks.

devious_
Mar12-06, 12:54 AM
P: 347
Series with Factorial

Because 2n+1 skips 1. So you could write 2n-1 instead.
VietDao29
Mar12-06, 02:18 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,421
Quote Quote by dekoi
How come the lower limit was replaced by 0 from 1?

Thanks.
Hmmm, look at the equality again:
[tex]\sum_{n = 1} ^ {\infty} \left( \frac{\sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{2} \right)}{n!} \right) = \sum_{n = 0} ^ {\infty} \left( \frac{(-1) ^ n}{(2n + 1)!} \right)[/tex]
It's not only that n = 1 has been replaced by n = 0, but the n! in the denominator has also been replaced by (2n + 1)!. Do you notice this?
As HallsofIvy has already pointed out:
If n is even then
[tex]\frac{\sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{2} \right)}{n!} = 0[/tex], right? So you'll be left with the terms with odd n only, now let n = 2m + 1
This means n is odd right? And since n >= 1 (the series starts from n = 1, and 1 is an odd number), so 2m + 1 >= 1, so m >= 0, which means the new series will start from m = 0.
So change n to m, we have:
[tex]\sum_{n = 1} ^ {\infty} \left( \frac{\sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{2} \right)}{n!} \right) = \sum_{m = 0} ^ {\infty} \left( \frac{\sin \left( \frac{(2m + 1) \pi}{2} \right)}{(2m + 1)!} \right) = \sum_{m = 0} ^ {\infty} \left( \frac{(-1) ^ m}{(2m + 1)!} \right)[/tex]
Can you get it now? :)

Register to reply