What Happens When Atoms are Compressed?

In summary, the pressure that would need to be exerted to compress atoms to an infinite level is extremely great and could not be simulated in a laboratory. The product of this collapse would be free neutrons and a neutron star.
mubashirmansoor
I couldn't really simulate this in my brain, What will happen when atoms are compressed up to an infinite level ( extreamly great presure ) Will the atoms split up? if so what will the product be?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mubashirmansoor said:
I couldn't really simulate this in my brain, What will happen when atoms are compressed up to an infinite level ( extreamly great presure ) Will the atoms split up? if so what will the product be?

The short answer is that this cannot be done. The electromagnetic repulsion would be stronger than anything that could be used to try and compress them.

An example of atoms [matter] being extremely compressed can be seen in neutron stars. Neutron stars are EXTREMELY dense (only a small step away from a black hole), so dense that the matter has been compressed into neutrons. My understanding is that when you compress the atom so much, the electrons and protons combine to form a neutron and a neutrino, this neutrino flies off into space and leaves the neutron behind in the star, hence its name, a neutron star. The more matter you add to a neutron star, the smaller it becomes as the additional gravitational force compressed it further and further.

mrjeffy321 said:
My understanding is that when you compress the atom so much, the electrons and protons combine to form a neutron and a neutrino, this neutrino flies off into space and leaves the neutron behind in the star,

Neutron -> proton + electron + antielectroneutrino

I know I read somewhere that protons + electrons --> neutron + neutrino, perhaps this is where I read it,
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/nstar.html#formation
At the very high pressures involved in this collapse, it is energetically favorable to combine protons and electrons to form neutrons plus neutrinos. The neutrinos escape after scattering a bit and helping the supernova happen, and the neutrons settle down to become a neutron star, with neutron degeneracy managing to oppose gravity.
However, I have also read (in a more reliable source) that free neutrons will naturally decay to form a proton, electron and antineutrino.

mubashirmansoor said:

You may also want to ask this question in one of the physics subforums.

The reaction

protons + electrons --> neutron + neutrino

is correct, because it conserves lepton number. One lepton (the electron) on the left, one lepton (the neutrino) on the right. Of course, it also conserves nucleon number and so on.

The conversion of matter into neutrons in a neutron star involves so-called "neutron drip," in which free neutrons are expelled from unstable nuclei.

The neutrinos escape the star completely.

Supernovas are believed to be events in which neutron stars or, if possible, black holes are formed. The visible-light "explosions" of supernovae are coincident with showers of neutrinos, lending the hypothesis considerable support.

- Warren

I should also mention the general pattern of what happens when you compress matter.

1) When compressed, temperatures rise, and matter enters the plasma phase. Nuclei coexist with free electrons.

2) As force is increased, pressure reaches a plateau created by the quantum-mechanical inability of more than one electron to exist in a single quantum-mechanical state. This pressure is called "electron degeneracy pressure," and supports white dwarf stars.

3) As force is increased further, neutron drip begins and the matter eventually turns into a sea of free neutrons. Another level of degeneracy pressure exists at this level, now called "neutron degeneracy pressure."

4) As force is increased even further, this neutron degeneracy pressure is finally overcome, and there exists no (known) mechanism to prevent the matter from being compressed all the way down to a point of infinite density, forming a black hole. We expect that a quantum theory of gravity will preclude infinite density, but will explain black holes in essentially the same way.

- Warren

Thankyou Warren It was really helpfull

1. What is compression of atoms?

Compression of atoms refers to the process of reducing the space between atoms, causing them to come closer together. This can be achieved through various means, such as applying pressure or increasing temperature.

2. How does compression affect atoms?

Compression can significantly affect atoms by changing their physical and chemical properties. As atoms are compressed, their density increases, and they may become more reactive or unstable. The behavior of compressed atoms also depends on the type of atoms and the degree of compression.

3. What happens to the energy of atoms during compression?

When atoms are compressed, their potential energy increases. This is because the distance between the atoms decreases, and they are pulled closer together by stronger forces. This energy can manifest as heat, which can be harnessed for various applications.

4. Can atoms be compressed infinitely?

No, atoms cannot be compressed infinitely. As atoms are compressed, they eventually reach a point where the repulsive forces between them become too strong, causing them to resist further compression. This limit is known as the atomic packing factor.

5. What are the practical applications of compressing atoms?

The compression of atoms has various practical applications in industries such as material science, energy production, and pharmaceuticals. For example, compressed atoms can be used to produce energy in nuclear reactors and create new materials with unique properties.