Register to reply

Simple Steps to Solving Force-Related Problems

by Da-Force
Tags: forcerelated, simple, solving, steps
Share this thread:
Da-Force
Mar22-06, 09:56 PM
P: 70
This is actually from my teacher, he's a genius, and it works pretty much every single time :-)

No matter what situation... Draw a force-body diagram for every mass/object/thing that has a force acting on it.

The sum of the forces in each direction in a SINGLE FORCE-BODY diagram always adds to be zero.

Forces always come in pairs.
Label all forces and write the equation (if applicable) for each force.
Example: W = mg, T
The net force of the system, if it is accelerating will be defined by the sum of all the forces on the system, F=ma.
To know when to add or subtract forces, make sure you understand forces are vectors and choose one direction as positive and the other as negative.
Follow these rules, steps, guidlines, and you will be able to solve any force-related problem!

Hope this helps :-)
Da-Force

PS: Add comments if you want
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Cyrus
Mar22-06, 10:01 PM
P: 4,777
The sum of the forces in each direction in a SINGLE FORCE-BODY diagram always adds to be zero.
Hootenanny
Mar23-06, 03:09 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
Quote Quote by Da-Force
Quote Quote by Da-Force
The net force of the system, if it is accelerating will be defined by the sum of all the forces on the system, F=ma.
I believe you have just contradicted yourself here. Make sure your you specify you conditions, the former would be true only if the object is at equilibrium, i.e. stationary or moving with a constant velocity.

I was just wandering what you meant by single force-body diagram?

-Hoot

Chi Meson
Mar23-06, 05:24 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Simple Steps to Solving Force-Related Problems

Quote Quote by Da-Force
This is actually from my teacher, he's a genius, and it works pretty much every single time :-)

No matter what situation... Draw a force-body diagram for every mass/object/thing that has a force acting on it.[INDENT]
Incorrect. This is true only for an object in equilibrium.

[Edit: Sorry, I didn't see Hoot's response]
Anyway, this is a forum for people to ask questions.

This is not a place for one to post gems of wisdom. You can do that in a PF journal. Find the "Journal" tab at the top of the list. OTherwise, offer your help in response to specific questions here.

Register to reply