Solve Ellipse Word Problem: Find Mars' Max Distance

In summary: So the equation would be .093=1-\frac{b^2}{a^2} and the max distance would be a + c and the min would be b - c. :)
sportsguy3675
Having trouble with this problem.

"The mean distance from the sun to Mars is 141.7 million miles. If the eccentricity of the orbit of Mars is .093, determine the maximum distance that Mars orbits from the sun."

So basically what it is asking for is half the length of the major axis right?

And from what I could figure (a+b)/2 = 141.7 million. And that .093 = c/a. But how would I be able to solve for the a value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between the two axes, and the relationship of the mean of the axes, gives you 2 equations in 2 unknowns.

But there is 3 variables...right?

No, there is a relationship between eccentricity and the two axes. Or to put it another way, do you know the relationship between a, b, and c (which give the relationship between e, a and b)

Yeah [tex]c^2 = a^2 - b^2[/tex]

sportsguy3675 said:
Yeah [tex]c^2 = a^2 - b^2[/tex]

Wrong, [tex]a^2 = b^2 + c^2[/tex] is for an ellipse and [tex]c^2=a^2 + b^2[/tex] is for a hyperbola.

But please label any variable you know in terms of a, b, or c and I'll be able to help you.

Ok, I think I understand this problem now. C tells you the distance from the center to a fixed point. Since the sun is the center of the universe and Mars is always going to be 141.7 miles from the sun we can call that C because that is the focus.

Now, to find a we know that e=c/a
now [tex].093=141.7/a[/tex]
can you figure it out from here?

Um, [tex]a^2 = b^2 + c^2[/tex] is the same thing as the formula I posted...

But, either way, yout idea is not right. 141.7 million is the mean distance not the distance to any point on the orbit. I think the sun is supposed to be at the focus.

Just so you know, the eccentricity is defined as sqrt(1-b^2/a^2). So by squaring this you have 2 equations in 2 unknowns: 1 of them in b^2 and a^2 and the other in b and a. Find an expresion for a from the 2nd, substitute it into the first, and solve the quadratic. This gives your value for the semimajor axis, b, which is the value you're looking for. No need to use c.

So what you're saying is that:

[tex] .093 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{b^2}{a^2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] .093^2 = 1 - \frac{b^2}{a^2} [/tex]

Right?

Last edited:
konartist said:
Wrong, [tex]a^2 = b^2 + c^2[/tex] is for an ellipse and [tex]c^2=a^2 + b^2[/tex] is for a hyperbola.

But please label any variable you know in terms of a, b, or c and I'll be able to help you.

You were responding to the statement that c2= a2- b2 which is exactly the same as a2= b2+c2!:wink:

Yeah, I still don't know why that person said that >_>

sportsguy3675 said:
So what you're saying is that:

[tex] .093 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{b^2}{a^2}} [/tex]

and

Right?
Give that man a cookie!

OK, so
[tex] .093 = 1 - \frac{b}{a} [/tex]
and

But if I rewrite the first I get [tex] a = .093a+b [/tex] That can't be right because I still have 2 variables.

No, 0.093^2 = 1-b^2/a^2. The other equation is the mean of a and b. I don't know where your first equation came from because .093 is not equal to 1-b/a.

Oh, I took the square root to get that.

Anyways, what am I suppsed to do then?

Oh, I figured it out. Turns out that 141.7 = a . So then using the eccentricity I solved for c and then for b using the relationship between the 3. Then the max is a + c and the min is b - c. :)

sportsguy3675 said:
Um, [tex]a^2 = b^2 + c^2[/tex] is the same thing as the formula I posted...

But, either way, yout idea is not right. 141.7 million is the mean distance not the distance to any point on the orbit. I think the sun is supposed to be at the focus.

Oh, sorry about that I thought that read [tex]c^2=a^2+b^2[/tex] not [tex]c^2=a^2-b^2[/tex]

Hmmm, I see what you're saying about it being the distance to any point on the orbit and you're correct the sun is the focus.

1. How do you solve an ellipse word problem?

To solve an ellipse word problem, you will need to use the formula for an ellipse: (x-h)²/a² + (y-k)²/b² = 1. You will also need to know the coordinates of the center point (h,k) and the lengths of the major and minor axes (a and b). Once you have this information, you can plug it into the formula and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What is the significance of finding Mars' max distance?

The max distance of Mars is important for understanding its orbital path around the sun. It helps us determine the farthest point that Mars is from the sun, which is crucial for understanding its climate, seasons, and overall behavior.

3. Can you provide an example of solving an ellipse word problem?

Sure! Let's say we want to find the max distance of Mars from the sun. We know that the center point of Mars' orbit is (0,0) and the lengths of the major and minor axes are 249.2 million kilometers and 228.5 million kilometers, respectively. Plugging these values into the formula, we get (x-0)²/(249.2 million)² + (y-0)²/(228.5 million)² = 1. Solving for x, we get x = 249.2 million kilometers. Therefore, the max distance of Mars from the sun is 249.2 million kilometers.

4. Why is it necessary to use an ellipse to describe Mars' orbit?

An ellipse is necessary because it is the shape that most closely resembles Mars' orbital path around the sun. It takes into account the gravitational pull of the sun and the other planets in our solar system, resulting in an elliptical shape rather than a perfect circle.

5. What other information can be determined from solving an ellipse word problem?

In addition to determining the max distance of Mars, solving an ellipse word problem can also help us find the min distance, the foci and vertices of the ellipse, and the eccentricity of the orbit. This information can give us a better understanding of Mars' orbit and its relationship with other celestial bodies.