Tags: None
Share this thread:
Ivan Seeking
Apr6-06, 02:27 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
We finally had to upgrade and buy a new DVD recorder/player for the TV. We were still using VHS, which died, so we got that with the DVD, but we also got a HDD, which I thought was just for the live pause. I didn't even realize at the time what an 80 Gig HDD meant for recording time; I noticed but didn't even think about the implications... only thinking in terms of price and features I guess.

So does anyone know if we get 40 Hrs or 20 Hrs, or does this normally come with recording speed selection. I didn't see one yet.

Anyway, we try to make things last. And I know that the longer we can hold out, the more we get when we do buy. So when we do finally have to replace items like recording devices and computers, the advances in technology are always so very cool.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Cyrus
Apr6-06, 02:43 AM
P: 4,777
I use VHS stilll. I like to pop in a tape. Having a dvd is just weird.

What's cool are those high def Tv's. When I see that at the store I have to touch the screen just to make sure its not real. Its like you can reach in and grab whats on tv.
ZapperZ
Apr6-06, 05:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
We finally had to upgrade and buy a new DVD recorder/player for the TV. We were still using VHS, which died, so we got that with the DVD, but we also got a HDD, which I thought was just for the live pause. I didn't even realize at the time what an 80 Gig HDD meant for recording time; I noticed but didn't even think about the implications... only thinking in terms of price and features I guess.

So does anyone know if we get 40 Hrs or 20 Hrs, or does this normally come with recording speed selection. I didn't see one yet.

Anyway, we try to make things last. And I know that the longer we can hold out, the more we get when we do buy. So when we do finally have to replace items like recording devices and computers, the advances in technology are always so very cool.
I didn't realize they have high definition recorders already... or do they?

HD-DVD are only starting to be introduced to the market (still no content), and Blu-Ray isn't out yet. Since we have HDTV here, we obviously have been following this closely since the only high definitionn content we are getting now are TV signals (we have high def Direct TV). As far as I know, no recordable form of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray are out yet.

Zz.

russ_watters
Apr6-06, 06:18 AM
Mentor
P: 22,282
HDD for TV: Very cool

I think Ivan is using "hdd" as an abbr for hard drive. He's talking about a regular pvr.
ZapperZ
Apr6-06, 06:54 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by russ_watters
I think Ivan is using "hdd" as an abbr for hard drive. He's talking about a regular pvr.
Oy....

Zz.
Ivan Seeking
Apr6-06, 01:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Yes, hard drive, not high def...

It stopped recording at 24 hrs on EP. I was hoping for 40 hrs, but still...that's cool.
moose
Apr6-06, 01:55 PM
P: 555
Crazy, Dish network has a dvr on which you can record 180 hours normal or 25 hours HD.... That's a huge difference in file size
Ivan Seeking
Apr6-06, 02:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
How do they manage that? That would take something like 150 Gig, or 50 DVDs.

Oh, do you mean that they are using a hard drive...?
dav2008
Apr6-06, 02:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 621
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
How do they manage that? That would take something like 150 Gig, or 50 DVDs.

Oh, they are using a hard drive...
DVR, not DVD-R ;)

Although I guess the term DVR in itself doesn't specify what medium it records on.

You can buy a TV tuner for your computer and with the right software turn your computer into a DVR.
Ivan Seeking
Apr6-06, 02:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dav2008
DVR, not DVD-R ;)

Although I guess the term DVR in itself doesn't specify what medium it records on.

You can buy a TV tuner for your computer and with the right software turn your computer into a DVR.
Yes, at first I thought he meant DVD -RW.

Register to reply