Calculating First Meeting Point of Pulses in a Stretched Wire

In summary: The first pulses will meet at x = 1.12 m from the left end of the wire. This can be found by setting up the equations as he did and solving for x, or by using the fact that the pulses travel at equal speeds and therefore will meet at the midpoint of the remaining distance after the first pulse has traveled for 30 ms. Either way, the answer is x = 1.12 m.
nick85
Hi, I am having difficulty understanding this question:

A wire 5.0 m long and having a mass of 130 g is stretched under a tension of 220 N. If two pulses, separated in time by 30.0 ms, are generated, one at each end of the wire, where will the pulses first meet?

m (distance from the left end of the wire)

From my deduction the each wave starts from the opposite side.
I figured out the v=91.9866 b/c the square root of 220/(.13/5)=91.9866 m/s

I then set up equations
t=time x=distance
91.9866t=x
91.9866(t-3*10^-3)=5-x

I got x to equal 2.6379799 m
However, I am not certain if this is the correct answer and I am down to my last submission. I was wondering if anyone could agree with what I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 1.12m for my answer. Here's my calcs;

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}} = \sqrt{\frac{220}{\frac{0.13}{5}}} = 91.9866 m/s[/tex]

[tex]x = vt \Rightarrow t = \frac{x}{v}[/tex]
[tex]5 - x = v(t + 0.03)[/tex]

Subbing [itex]t = \frac{x}{v}[/itex] into [itex]5 - x = v(t + 0.03)[/itex] gives;

[tex]5 - x = v\left( \frac{x}{v} + 0.03 \right) = x + 0.03v[/tex]

[tex]2x = 5 - 0.03v \Rightarrow x = \frac{5 - 0.03\times 91.9866}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\fbox{ x = 1.120201m }[/tex]

I'm not sure that I'm right though :confused:

-Hoot

nick85 said:
Hi, I am having difficulty understanding this question:

A wire 5.0 m long and having a mass of 130 g is stretched under a tension of 220 N. If two pulses, separated in time by 30.0 ms, are generated, one at each end of the wire, where will the pulses first meet?

m (distance from the left end of the wire)

From my deduction the each wave starts from the opposite side.
I figured out the v=91.9866 b/c the square root of 220/(.13/5)=91.9866 m/s

I then set up equations
t=time x=distance
91.9866t=x
91.9866(t-3*10^-3)=5-x

I got x to equal 2.6379799 m
However, I am not certain if this is the correct answer and I am down to my last submission. I was wondering if anyone could agree with what I got.

I disagree with your answer and agree with Hootenanny. Your mistake is the sign of the 3*10^-3 in the second line. It should be a plus sign.

Basically (after substitution) you wrote x- 91.99* 3*10^-3 = 5 -x or
2x= 5 + 91.99*3*10^-3 or

2x= 5 + 2.76

But it should be 2x= 5 - 2.76.

(it's easy to see. In the first 30 ms, the first pulse travels 2.76 m. There is still a distance of 5-2.76 to travel for both pulses when the second pulse will be emitted. They will obviously meet halfway through this remaining distance, therefore the answer is x= 1/2(5-2.76).

Patrick

1. What are pulses in wire-waves?

Pulses in wire-waves refer to the transmission of electrical signals through a wire in the form of discrete, short bursts of energy. These pulses can be used to carry information, such as data or audio signals.

2. How are pulses created in wire-waves?

Pulses in wire-waves are created by applying a sudden voltage or current to a wire. This creates a disturbance in the electric field, which travels down the wire in the form of a pulse.

3. What is the purpose of using pulses in wire-waves?

The use of pulses in wire-waves allows for the efficient transmission of information over long distances. This is because the discrete nature of pulses reduces interference and loss of signal during transmission.

4. How are pulses detected in wire-waves?

Pulses in wire-waves can be detected using various electronic devices, such as oscilloscopes or signal analyzers. These devices measure the amplitude and frequency of the pulses to decode the transmitted information.

5. What are some applications of pulses in wire-waves?

Pulses in wire-waves are used in various applications, such as telecommunications, data transmission, and audio equipment. They are also used in scientific research, such as in experiments involving the study of electromagnetic waves.