Register to reply

Is Turin Shroud a fake?..

by eljose
Tags: fake, shroud, turin
Share this thread:
eljose
Apr12-06, 01:54 PM
P: 501
Is the Turin Shroud a "fake"? i mean in the sense that the supposed cloth Jesus was buried with was only a paint or a fake...if so (that,s possible) the man who did it should have been a complete unknown "genius" superior to Leonardo Da Vinci in all aspects..

-he should know anatomy, Botanic,Paint,some kind of photography and more things, although on the other hand there are several contradictions (the face and body are deformed, there is some paint on it, ..)

what do you think?...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Ivan Seeking
Apr12-06, 02:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
The Shroud's Second Image
New evidence reopens debate about the controversial relic.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/012/32.56.html
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57058
12noon
Apr30-06, 12:52 AM
P: 4
Hmmm, it's a very good fake.

From what i've read, it isn't the same shroud that was first talked about and this one turned up about the same time as Leonardo Da Vinci lived. Also wasn't Jesus supposed to be a small ugly looking hunch back ?

Pengwuino
Apr30-06, 12:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Is Turin Shroud a fake?..

Quote Quote by 12noon
Hmmm, it's a very good fake.

From what i've read, it isn't the same shroud that was first talked about and this one turned up about the same time as Leonardo Da Vinci lived. Also wasn't Jesus supposed to be a small ugly looking hunch back ?
Unfortunately, it carbon dates to before DaVinci's life (inaccuracies even taken into account).
Cyrus
May2-06, 12:54 AM
P: 4,780
They had this on tv a while back. A guy figured out how to make these fake shrouds. It involves using a piece of glass and a picture. The light shines through the glass. In the processes, the picture blocks out some sunlight and causes a slight discoloration between the areas where the picture is and is not. It makes a 3d effect. He showed several pictures he had used to create similar "shrouds."
Schrodinger's Dog
May5-06, 06:55 AM
P: 1,142
Not that I want to get into a religous discussion but you'll generally find the Catholic church has long had a policy of advicating that which agreed with it's messages and denying or even destroying that which didn't much like any organisation, most organisations dont resort to burning people who advocate a difference of opinion but still

The Church has a deal of trouble with many of it's artefacts this being one among many that are hoaxes. Although if your the church you would welcome anything as well hoaxed as this whether you knew it was a fake or real, means to an end, understandable.

Same with everything Christian be it apocrypha, gnostic texts etc, etc, all genuine text but not necessarily conducive to the message: it's good practice to only include that which agrees with the churches message, otherwise people get confused and the message becomes diluted. Whether it's the right message though is anyones guess? But a shroud or a knuckle bone of Jesus never hurts when stirring the religous ferver pot :)

During the middle ages you could pick up religous relics all over christendom, it's hardly surprising some genuine ones got mixed up with fakes. The Aramaic scrolls of the new testament, pukka, the left toe nail of St John the divine and the holy hand grenade of antioch, ahhh probably not

In conclusion in holy terms what is real fake and genuine and the true words of Christ is strictly decided by the Church, and apparently God tells them they are right To be honest though, I find all of it pretty interesting whether it agrees with the catholic message or it's fake or genuine.

BTW I really do have a knuckle bone of Christ if your interested and part of the holy cross, I'll sell you both for oooh a score? Interested?
ray b
May8-06, 02:29 PM
P: 428
old quote
there is enuff wood from the true cross to build the ark!!!
Schrodinger's Dog
May10-06, 02:12 PM
There is!!! God be praised it's a miracle!!
Wishbone
Jun9-06, 03:22 AM
P: 146
Quote Quote by Schrodinger's Dog
Not that I want to get into a religous discussion but you'll generally find the Catholic church has long had a policy of advicating that which agreed with it's messages and denying or even destroying that which didn't much like any organisation, most organisations dont resort to burning people who advocate a difference of opinion but still
what a poor interpretation of the history of the church. Compared to most organizations, the church is probibaly one of the better ones. And I'm sure on average the everyday person employed by the church, whatever the job may be, is more helpful to the community than the common man, or common poster on an internet physics board. When you watch too many PBS specials on the Crusades/Dan Brown books, I can see why people share your view.

The Church has a deal of trouble with many of it's artefacts this being one among many that are hoaxes. Although if your the church you would welcome anything as well hoaxed as this whether you knew it was a fake or real, means to an end, understandable.
This really isn't a coherent paragraph, but if you are attempting to imply that the church would knowingly promote a artifact they knew to be false, I would like to see proof that they would promote such activities. I think you are pulling this out of thin air.

Same with everything Christian be it apocrypha, gnostic texts etc, etc, all genuine text but not necessarily conducive to the message: it's good practice to only include that which agrees with the churches message, otherwise people get confused and the message becomes diluted. Whether it's the right message though is anyones guess? But a shroud or a knuckle bone of Jesus never hurts when stirring the religous ferver pot :)
The right message is anyones guess? More like the daunting reasearch of countless scholars, historians, priests, and others. And I doubt they promoted the shroud of turn in order "stir things up".
Ivan Seeking
Jun9-06, 04:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Okay, everyone got in their shots. Please stick to the topic.

Off topic posts will be deleted.
Mech_Engineer
Jun22-06, 02:33 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,242
I remember hearing someone carbon-dated the blood on the shroud and found that it came 1000 years after Jesus's death... Also, I think it was determined that the punctures in the hands were in the wrong place, and the nails would have ripped out...

Quote Quote by eljose
...if so (that,s possible) the man who did it should have been a complete unknown "genius" superior to Leonardo Da Vinci in all aspects.
Why do you say that? I haven't seen anything about this shroud to make me suspect this.
Schrodinger's Dog
Jun27-06, 06:43 AM
Quote Quote by Wishbone
what a poor interpretation of the history of the church. Compared to most organizations, the church is probibaly one of the better ones. And I'm sure on average the everyday person employed by the church, whatever the job may be, is more helpful to the community than the common man, or common poster on an internet physics board. When you watch too many PBS specials on the Crusades/Dan Brown books, I can see why people share your view.

This really isn't a coherent paragraph, but if you are attempting to imply that the church would knowingly promote a artifact they knew to be false, I would like to see proof that they would promote such activities. I think you are pulling this out of thin air.

The right message is anyones guess? More like the daunting reasearch of countless scholars, historians, priests, and others. And I doubt they promoted the shroud of turn in order "stir things up".
I'm afraid I can't answer your questions or it would break forum rules I will say this though I have done a deal of studying of the Church and I don't make claims like this off the top of my head, shame we can't discuss it but rules is rules.

I'm sorry my grammar doesn't meet with your approval btw
arildno
Jun27-06, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
I'm sure that if you got a group of some knowledgeable non-believers to look into the Shroud business, they would puzzle out the "miracle" of the Shroud in a couple of months.
J77
Jul4-06, 06:54 AM
P: 1,157
When did the present day, popular ''image'' of Jesus enter the public's minds?

That is, when did we first see this image of Jesus as a long-haired, almost hippy-like man?

This must be key in understanding that the Shroud is a romantic fake.

linkto shroud: http://www.shroud.com/shrdface.htm

btw: I have seen the blood of Jesus - though I left the Basilica when the donation tins were handed round

here's the blood -

it'd be cool to get a dna test on that!
arildno
Jul4-06, 07:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
The handsome, soulful Jesus-with-a-beard first appeared in the 12th-13th centuries.
J77
Jul4-06, 07:40 AM
P: 1,157
For me that says a lot - however, I don't take religion as written - I just think there are some good stories in there.

And the J man does have soul
arildno
Jul4-06, 07:56 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by J77
And the J man does have soul
Yes he does, particularly because he is so haaaaandsome*

*Okay, that was perhaps somewhat superficial of me, he did say something important as well.
Schrodinger's Dog
Jul4-06, 10:35 AM
Quote Quote by J77

here's the blood -

it'd be cool to get a dna test on that!
That's one of the knowingly promoted fakes I'm talking about, the church has known it isn't blood for centuries, it's just an interesting chemical reaction is all.

Register to reply