How long does a typical laptop last?

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the conversation discusses the longevity and value of a laptop purchased from eBay. It is suggested that the laptop should only be kept if it is being used, as computers lose value quickly. The speaker shares their personal experience with a Compaq laptop from 1997 and mentions the importance of having the necessary connectivity for one's needs. The discussion also touches on the physical lifespan of a laptop and the factors that can affect it. Ultimately, the decision to keep or resell the laptop depends on one's usage and needs.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've recently purchased a laptop from ebay, it's in pretty good condition and runs great. However, I think that it's 2002 model and was wondering on how long will it continue to function without giving me any problems? Should I try to resell it, or is it worth the keep?

Physics news on Phys.org
Computers are like cars in that they lose value relatively quickly. You really should only have computers that you use.

So, if you're using it keep it. If you don't use it sell it.

Depends on what you use the m for. I had a Compaq laptop from 1997 that I used until last year. I only did MS word and Excel on it though. It used to be connected to the internet at 32,000 (whah!) but not since 2000.

How long will it last? From the time it slips off the table to the time it hits the floor...(this being a physics forum, all you need to tell us is the height of the table for a fairly accurate estimate of how long that would be.) :tongue: Oh, plus any time before it falls. :biggrin:

Seriously, as long as they run the programs you need at a speed you can stand and have all the connectivity you require. I still have a IBM with a Pentium 166Mhz CPU, it still works great for word processing and some other productivity programs, but it does not have a USB port and the card port USB doesn't work with it, so it lacks some of the connectivity that I need.

1. How long does a typical laptop last?

The lifespan of a laptop can vary depending on its usage and care. On average, a laptop can last anywhere from 3-5 years.

2. Does the brand of the laptop affect its lifespan?

Yes, the brand of the laptop can have an impact on its lifespan. Generally, well-known and reputable brands tend to have longer lifespans compared to lesser-known brands.

3. Can a laptop's lifespan be extended?

Yes, a laptop's lifespan can be extended with proper care and maintenance. This includes regular cleaning, avoiding overheating, and updating software and hardware.

4. What factors can shorten a laptop's lifespan?

Some factors that can shorten a laptop's lifespan include exposure to extreme temperatures, physical damage, and excessive usage without proper care.

5. Is it worth repairing an old laptop or should I just buy a new one?

It depends on the extent of the damage and the cost of repairs. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to buy a new laptop instead of repairing an old one. However, if the damage is minor and the laptop is still functioning well, repairing it can be a good option.