Register to reply

Honda Civic Hybrid

by Jimmy Snyder
Tags: civic, honda, hybrid
Share this thread:
MrOrange99
May24-06, 02:03 PM
P: 1
I question the prices of the hybrids and if like gasoline prices, they are inflated.

[[[[[[[[[[ MrOrange99 ]]]]]]]]]]
[[[[[[[[[[ Listening to : Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California ]]]]]]]]]]
Pengwuino
May24-06, 02:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
I must not get out enough because i can think of 1 place that i go at least once every 2 weeks that is within 2 miles and i usually go at roughly midnight so unless my bike has armor plating, im not going out in a bike around here. But seriously, i can say the same thing back at you. The only reason you think getting rid of cars is a ridiculous idea is becaues you are immersed in a biking mindset which uses bikes for everything and you've never had to try anything else. How many times have you tried to bring groceries to a family in a bike or gone on a date in a bike or taken a vacation on a bike. The idea that im wrong because i haven't tried it is a load. That's like if i said people can breathe using water if you're under 10,000 feet and you say you cant and my only response is "you only think that because you've never tried it"
selfAdjoint
May24-06, 02:05 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
All you bicycle fanatics are OT. The question is CARS, and the alternative to what jimmysnyder bought is some other car. Lots of people want to use CARS and they have a right to do so without being hassled by True Believers.

I could equally claim that walking the average two miles is even better for you, but unfortunately my own average distance is more like five miles; my "green" neighbors have jiggered the zoning laws in our village so we won't have any of them nasty polluting stores around.
Jimmy Snyder
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by chroot
Are you also suggesting that the personal automobile is somehow responsible for feeding and clothing Americans?
Absolutely!
Pengwuino
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot
Then why the hell do you live there? That sounds like a stupid place to live.

- Warren
Hey im not the one who lives in the bay area . I mean really, everytime i go to the bay area i can't help but notice how insanely crowded it is. Theres no freedom there. Walking around i felt like i was going to plow into a starbucks if i didnt keep my eyes on whats infront of me on the sidewalk.
chroot
May24-06, 02:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
And I really have tremendous difficulty believing you can get anywhere 5x faster in a bike than a car. I personally could not think of any place where i can realistically get to faster in a bike. Going 50mph vs. 15mph on side streets only is no comparison. Where exactly do you live?
Have you ever... tried it?

Listen, on Friday evenings, I generally pass literally 600-800 cars (extrapolated from counts I've done while flying past them) in just over a three mile section of road near my work. In any kind of traffic situation where the road is more than 70% capacity, I will absolutely own you on a bike. No question.

Now, if you're using a ten lane superhighway in the middle of night with no traffic, of course you'll beat me. Duh!

Again, most trips in this country are less than two miles, and are entirely on surface streets. If you give me an urban surface street > 70% capacity (i.e. at rush hour), I will beat you on a bike every single time.

- Warren
chroot
May24-06, 02:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
I must not get out enough because i can think of 1 place that i go at least once every 2 weeks that is within 2 miles and i usually go at roughly midnight so unless my bike has armor plating, im not going out in a bike around here. But seriously, i can say the same thing back at you. The only reason you think getting rid of cars is a ridiculous idea is becaues you are immersed in a biking mindset which uses bikes for everything and you've never had to try anything else. How many times have you tried to bring groceries to a family in a bike or gone on a date in a bike or taken a vacation on a bike. The idea that im wrong because i haven't tried it is a load. That's like if i said people can breathe using water if you're under 10,000 feet and you say you cant and my only response is "you only think that because you've never tried it"
Give me a break, dude, are you nuts? I own a car -- an expensive one, too. I drove it to work every day for years and years. I grew up in a family with more cars than people. Then I discovered something different, and better. I have never suggested that people use bikes for everything, so stop putting words in my mouth. If you have a family of five and have to carry 100 lbs of groceries, by all means, use your car. On the other hand, most households in the country do not have children, and have far fewer than five members.

I have said, quite correctly, that the majority of American car trips could be done on a bicycle instead with very little inconvenience, and enormous gains in pollution and energy expenditure. Your arguments re: breathing underwater are moronic and irrelevant.

- Warren
chroot
May24-06, 02:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jimmysnyder
Absolutely!
Are you kidding? You really think that without the automobile, people would not be able to obtain their basic necessities like food and clothing? What justification could you possibly have for this assertion? What did people do prior to the invention of the automobile?

- Warren
Pengwuino
May24-06, 02:16 PM
PF Gold
Its very easy to figure it out mathematically. 15 minutes to go 15 miles in a car, go figure. Unless im actually lance armstrong in disguise and don't mind showing up for a lecture drenched in sweat, it isn't happening.

Look at the central valley.... what the hell is a traffic jam? I mean its probably better in rush hour trying to get downtown here and maybe if you're in about 3 miles of your office, its worth using a bike. Otherwise its a joke of a race. I can understand how you could develop such a narrow view on things living in hte bay area but come to a place like Fresno and you wouldn't use your bike that much. I can believe "most trips" are taken within 2 miles because look at big cities! Everythings compact and built ontop of itself. But look at about 99.999% of america. Not big cities.
chroot
May24-06, 02:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by selfAdjoint
All you bicycle fanatics are OT. The question is CARS, and the alternative to what jimmysnyder bought is some other car. Lots of people want to use CARS and they have a right to do so without being hassled by True Believers.
Listen, the OP was talking about buying a hybrid vehicle to save gas and money. I'm simply making the argument that it's a hardly a way to save a significant amount of gas and money. There are better, easier ways.

- Warren
DaveC426913
May24-06, 02:18 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
But seriously, i can say the same thing back at you. The only reason you think getting rid of cars is a ridiculous idea is becaues you are immersed in a biking mindset which uses bikes for everything and you've never had to try anything else.
That's a counterargument that is beneath you Penguino. Biking does not have demonstrably wasteful, harmful effects that we as a society have agreed need to be minimized.

Quote Quote by Pengwuino
How many times have you tried to bring groceries to a family in a bike or gone on a date in a bike or taken a vacation on a bike.
We have built cities and moved to the suburbs and adopted a car-based lifestyle to such an extent that the grocery store is now too far away to get to by any other means than car.

We live in the environment we do because we drive cars.

But we don't have to. We can make choices.
Pengwuino
May24-06, 02:20 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot
Give me a break, dude, are you nuts? I own a car -- an expensive one, too. I drove it to work every day for years and years. I grew up in a family with more cars than people. Then I discovered something different, and better. I have never suggested that people use bikes for everything, so stop putting words in my mouth. If you have a family of five and have to carry 100 lbs of groceries, by all means, use your car. On the other hand, most households in the country do not have children, and have far fewer than five members.

I have said, quite correctly, that the majority of American car trips could be done on a bicycle instead with very little inconvenience, and enormous gains in pollution and energy expenditure. Your arguments re: breathing underwater are moronic and irrelevant.

- Warren
The only real, meaningful solution to the pollution and energy problem in this country is to remove cars from the road. Ride a bike instead.
Don't be immature and don't assume everything would be done with little inconvenience since im sure you rarely do a lot of the things necessary to maintain a real family in anything other then NY or LA. Your argument has basically been "I know everything about other peoples lives and any other argument is wrong because everyone else is brainwashed by their culture". This is ridiculous.
chroot
May24-06, 02:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Its very easy to figure it out mathematically. 15 minutes to go 15 miles in a car, go figure. Unless im actually lance armstrong in disguise and don't mind showing up for a lecture drenched in sweat, it isn't happening.
How often do you go 60 miles an hour? As I've said repeatedly -- over and over and over again in this thread -- the majority of American car trips are (1) under two miles (2) have one occupant (3) have no cargo and (4) do not involve freeways. These are the trips I am suggesting should be done on bicycles instead. Not trips to LA down Interstate 5.

Look at the central valley.... what the hell is a traffic jam? I mean its probably better in rush hour trying to get downtown here and maybe if you're in about 3 miles of your office, its worth using a bike. Otherwise its a joke of a race. I can understand how you could develop such a narrow view on things living in hte bay area but come to a place like Fresno and you wouldn't use your bike that much. I can believe "most trips" are taken within 2 miles because look at big cities! Everythings compact and built ontop of itself. But look at about 99.999% of america. Not big cities.
The majority of Americans now commute suburb-to-suburb. The average commute distance continues to rise, but it's still well within the range of a bicycle.

Besides, you're the one who wanted to race me. I don't ride a bicycle because it's faster -- on most trips, I admit, it's not. I ride a bicycle because (1) it saves money (2) it saves natural resources (3) it's fun and (4) I refuse to be a lardass like 70% of the people in the country.

- Warren
Pengwuino
May24-06, 02:22 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by DaveC426913
We have built cities and moved to the suburbs and adopted a car-based lifestyle to such an extent that the grocery store is now too far away to get to by any other means than car.

We live in the environment we do because we drive cars.

But we don't have to. We can make choices.
So all cities should be made in such a way that theres 15,000 people per square mile? You can have it.
Pengwuino
May24-06, 02:23 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot
The majority of Americans now commute suburb-to-suburb. The average commute distance continues to rise, but it's still well within the range of a bicycle.

Besides, you're the one who wanted to race me. I don't ride a bicycle because it's faster -- on most trips, I admit, it's not. I ride a bicycle because (1) it saves money (2) it saves natural resources (3) it's fun and (4) I refuse to be a lardass like 70% of the people in the country.

- Warren
Your whole argument has been based on the idea that we should do it because its "faster". What are you trying to pull here?
chroot
May24-06, 02:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Don't be immature and don't assume everything would be done with little inconvenience since im sure you rarely do a lot of the things necessary to maintain a real family in anything other then NY or LA. Your argument has basically been "I know everything about other peoples lives and any other argument is wrong because everyone else is brainwashed by their culture". This is ridiculous.
No. That's not my argument at all, kid.

Here, let me repeat it AGAIN:

The majority of American car trips are (1) under two miles (2) have one occupant (3) have no cargo and (4) do not involve freeways. These are the trips I am suggesting should be done on bicycles instead. Using a bicycle for such trips would have a far, far greater impact on both the American wallet, waistline and envrionment than buying an expensive hybrid car and using it for the same trips.

- Warren
Pengwuino
May24-06, 02:26 PM
PF Gold
Well im surprised you have resorted to insults and changing your argument mid-stream. Im done wasting my time.
chroot
May24-06, 02:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Your whole argument has been based on the idea that we should do it because its "faster". What are you trying to pull here?
For the kind of trips I advocate using a bicycle (under two miles, on surface streets), a bicycle actually often is faster than a car. I am not making the blanket stament that "bicycling is faster than driving a car," because that would be stupid. Please stop trying to derail me by putting (ridiculous) words in my mouth.

- Warren

Register to reply