What are some of the worst names people have given their children?

• Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
In summary, more people are naming their kids things like Metal Alloy, Meconium, and Sh*thead. These are all pretty terrible names, and I just feel sorry for the kids who have to deal with them.
I once knew a girl called Genna Taylor. Say it out loud a few times if you don't get it.
And a schoolmate's father was called Mike Hunt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
My mom worked at a hospital for years and saw some pretty crazy baby names come through. One woman named her baby Female (pronounced feh-MAH-lee) because it was on the baby's hospital wristband. Another couple named their child Urine (pronounced yuREEN)

Since we're necroposting...

My mom worked at a government office and ran into similarly odd names. One women named her children after ritzy Chicago suburbs: her sons were Willmette (called Will), Evanston (called Evan) and Kennelworth (called Ken), and daughters were Winnetka and Northbrook (called Brook). There might have been a Glen in there...Glencoe or Glenbrook.

I'm glad she stopped before Buffalo Grove!

matthyaouw said:
I once knew a girl called Genna Taylor. Say it out loud a few times if you don't get it.

Funny, there was a guy named Mike Hawke on TV the other day. Wonder if they know each other:biggrin:

Le-ah. Pronounced 'Lee-dash-uh'.

I worked off and on with a highly respected paper machine engineer whose first name was Omega. He was a lanky southerner who claimed his mother named him that after declaring "No more kids!"

In high school, there was a special-ed kid named Mike Hunt that got paged frequently when he went missing or hadn't showed up for scheduled programs. His oldest sister was the prettiest girl in school, and a real sweetie, and it ticked me off that other kids teased her when Mike was being paged.

Jimmy is a nice name.

Bright Wang said:
<----

I like my name though.

EDIT: It would be "Yu" if I didn't change it. Imagin how confusing that would be.
I have a colleague name Yu. I don't need to imagine.

One of my friends has a chinese or Korean colleague named "Tao Lee". In my language, it means mother-f..ker.

Chi Meson said:
My friend from Florida knew of a woman who looked in her cupboard and decided to name her son Lemonjello ("le-MON-je-lo").

And a long ago friend of mine gave his son a random middle name. Specifically, Random.

Twins, actually. Lemonjello and Oranjello. My mom (a doctor) knows who delivered them.

Ben Niehoff said:
Twins, actually. Lemonjello and Oranjello. My mom (a doctor) knows who delivered them.

Wow...are you serious, Ben? That has to be the weirdest coincidence ever...wow.

larkspur said:
More people seem to be making up names for their kids these days. The worst ones I have personally come upon are:
Sh*thead (*=i, PRONOUNCED "Shuh-theed"),

I'm very nearly positive this one's an urban legend. Until someone can produce an actual, bona fide birth certificate with this name on it, I'm calling bullcrap on anyone who claims to have come across it.

Ditto Lemonjello and Orangello.

These and other examples come up repeatedly on urban legends sites, such as Snopes but no one has ever managed to produce any satisfactory evidence.

This is pertinent...

Ima Hogg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg

"Texas legend insists that when Jim Hogg ran for re-election as Texas governor in 1892 he often traveled with Ima and a friend of hers and introduced them as his daughters Ima and Ura. Ima Hogg maintained throughout her life that this never happened. She was frequently forced to dispel the myth; hundreds of people wrote her letters inquiring whether her name was real and if she really had a sister named Ura.The Kansas City Star even invented another sister, Hoosa."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Dick_(ice_hockey )

Still none of these come close to the ridiculousness already mentioned...

Last edited by a moderator:
matthyaouw said:

Took me a while to get those!
We had a substitute teacher in high school named Mr. Bates

junglebeast said:
We had a substitute teacher in high school named Mr. Bates

I'm sure he could hold his own.

Another bad name trend: having the same first and last names. I know of a Warren Warren, just for example.

Theres a "Ima Cracker", "Al Kaida", and a "Ball Sak" on Facebook.

My friend was also telling me about a "Lardas Amerika"

larkspur said:
... Meconium(the parents saw it on their discharge papers...

Meconium. Discharge.

Ahahaha! :biggrin:

Ben Niehoff said:

Bill Cosby?

I'll have to ask her to confirm the story. I didn't know it was a common urban legend.

I know somebody called Robert.

I dated a speech therapist once who told me about a patient named Psalm Siv. She asked where they got such an unusal name and they replied that they wanted to give their child a name from the bible. They had randomly opened the bible and chose Psalms IV.

Harry Balzer
http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_about_hbalzer.html

(Sorry if this was already mentioned -- I didn't read through the whole thread) Anyone else run into this yet? A friend of mine works at a daycare and defied us to pronounce this name:

La-a

One of my friends' friends had a run-in with La-a also...small world.

Mortimer Titian.

GeorginaS said:
(Sorry if this was already mentioned -- I didn't read through the whole thread) Anyone else run into this yet? A friend of mine works at a daycare and defied us to pronounce this name:

La-a
Hope it's not as hard to do as Nippl-e.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend who name his dog "dee-OH-gee" (kind of strung together, hard to write it down)
Cat was named "see-A-tee" (again strung together)

My friend has two cats one named butaum {but ummm} and the other andum {and ummm}.

My friend has a pair or turtles named Sam & Ella. :biggrin:

Who knew that Bill Cosby's real name was Jesus Christ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFy8RK-MFg

Well, if you want to get into pet names, here are a few of ours from four generations of pets. There were more...

Yiddo, Dirt (I), (II), and (III) [Dirt the 3rd was known affectionately as Dirt the Turd], Sheepdip, Grunt, Tater, Spud, Speedbump, Crash, Dr. Who, Bun [short for Bunhead, a compromise to Tsu's desired name of Butthead] (I), (II), and (III), and finally, named in honor of our own Zoobyshoe, Zoobie. I think Zoobie is a good name but wanted to mention the motivation. :biggrin:

Last edited:
We had a pygmy goat named Butthead.

But maybe I shouldn't post this in worst names, it was a great name for a great little goat.

lisab said:
We had a pygmy goat named Butthead.

But maybe I shouldn't post this in worst names, it was a great name for a great little goat.

Grunt and Bambi were pygmies, with Bambi being the mother of Tater and Spud. Pygmy goats are a blast! ...a real pain the butt at times but a lot of fun.

Did he [you Zshoe] ever mentioned what his name means? Cause it has a terrible meaning in another language...Only a guy would dare and tell what it means :yuck:

Our ferrets were named (in order of adoption) Spike (tough name for a softy), Lefty (Spike's right-hand man), Pancho (if you don't know about pancho and lefty, you don't know music), Jasmine (my niece was starting jazz dance class), Rocky (he had white paws like they were taped), Bugsy (he put Marty Feldman to shame with his wall-eyed but engaging gaze), Star (called Rats by her former owner), Ruby (OK we got her on a Tuesday), Taz (as a baby, he attacked his owners' adult ferrets, so she gave him to us), Stormy (I drove through a blizzard to adopt her), and Turbo (he had only two speeds and I didn't want to call him Coma).

Last edited:
My sister had a cat named Harry.
And when my parents weren't around ... it went but its full nume Harry Scrotum.