Register to reply

PF Photo Contest - Take Me Home, Country Road (6/22-6/28)

by ZapperZ
Tags: contest, country, home, or 28, photo, road
Share this thread:
Moonbear
Jun23-06, 10:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Ouabache
Stuck on everything hmmmmm... perhaps you mean burdock (nature's velcro). I've had thistle stick me (nasty thorns), but not stick to me.
Yep, that's it. I always called it thistle. I didnt' realize it was a different plant. See why I'm not a botanist?
Moonbear
Jun23-06, 11:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ouabache
Maybe you can take a closeup for us, when they blossom again. You've piqued my curiousity now..
Hmm...looking at the photo again, it could be something different from what's blooming now. It's hard to tell. Even the full-sized original doesn't show the flowers very clearly (that was taken with my old camera...there's a reason I got a new one).

I found what the current flowers are, and it looks like some are still interspersed with the ones in that photo: oxeye daisies.
http://www.pbase.com/donnar/daisies

As I've been looking, I've just identified some odd things I was growing in my garden at my last house...nobody told me they were weeds. They were pretty plants, so I let them grow (then again, that's how I wound up with those burr things too...I was wondering what it was that had giant leaves ).

I think I have some real thistles too, but I haven't seen flowers on them. The leaves look familiar.

At least I know how to identify the poison ivy, which I was pulling out about two weeks ago.
Ivan Seeking
Jun23-06, 11:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Danger
Jun23-06, 11:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Whooaaa, Ivan! Gorgeous shot!
Ouabache
Jun23-06, 11:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,326
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I found what the current flowers are, and it looks like some are still interspersed with the ones in that photo: oxeye daisies.
http://www.pbase.com/donnar/daisies
Oxeye daisies are great.. Pretty flower for the garden.. Another
common one that reminds me of is blackeyed susan. I've seen them blooming in wild meadows.

I think I have some real thistles too, but I haven't seen flowers on them. The leaves look familiar.
If you run into thistle I guarantee you will remember it.. (there are several species).. Here's an image of their stem & leaves. As you can tell, it's not a good idea to try and rip one of these plants out with your hands.
ZapperZ
Jun24-06, 05:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
I think we just found our greenhouse gas source, and acid rain source, and black lung disease source, and .......

:)

Zz.
George Jones
Jun24-06, 06:18 AM
Mentor
P: 6,232

Cooper's Rock State Forest, West Virginia.
larkspur
Jun24-06, 11:31 AM
P: 791
Quote Quote by George Jones

Cooper's Rock State Forest, West Virginia.
West Virginia is a truly beautiful state. I would like to visit Harpers Ferry again. My family went there in the Fall when
I was in high school. Absolutely breathtaking!
rocketboy
Jun24-06, 12:05 PM
P: 251
This photo was taken in May at my friend's cottage near Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Dan's cottage scenery.jpg  
Ivan Seeking
Jun24-06, 12:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by ZapperZ
I think we just found our greenhouse gas source, and acid rain source, and black lung disease source, and .......

:)

Zz.
It amazes me that these are allowed to run these anymore. They have grown quite popular worldwide for dinner and day tours.

Oh yes, that's Mt Shasta in the background.
wolram
Jun24-06, 04:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,682
Zapper if i buy a camera will you have a (my rickety old cottage) thread?
ZapperZ
Jun24-06, 04:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by rocketboy
This photo was taken in May at my friend's cottage near Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada.
Again, please read our Rules. You must upload your picture to one of the picture hosting sites, and then use the IMG tags to display the picture here. If you are not sure how to use the IMG tags, just QUOTE one of the post that has a picture and look at the syntax.

Zz.
Moonbear
Jun24-06, 10:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by larkspur
West Virginia is a truly beautiful state. I would like to visit Harpers Ferry again. My family went there in the Fall when
I was in high school. Absolutely breathtaking!
It is beautiful. I absolutely love living here!

Ouabache, there are a lot of prickly, thorny things, so I might not recall specifically thistle. But the leaf patterns do look like something growing that hasn't bloomed yet (it's in the patches of weeds growing by the road...not in my backyard thankfully!) I haven't seen any black-eyed susan's here. Those are one of my mom's favorite flowers (it sure made it easy to pick her a bouquet when I was a kid...there was a spot by the side of the road where I was growing up where they grew in pretty thickly, so I could just pluck a handful and bring it to her when they bloomed).
Danger
Jun24-06, 10:21 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I haven't seen any black-eyed susan's here. Those are one of my mom's favorite flowers
Which brings up another from my dad's 1901 joke book:
I used to love my garden
But now my love is dead.
I found a bachelor button
In Black-Eyed Susan's bed.
scorpa
Jun24-06, 11:29 PM
P: 372
I know this pic is no match for any of the ones submitted already but it's all I have right now.
Danger
Jun25-06, 01:41 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by scorpa
I know this pic is no match for any of the ones submitted already but it's all I have right now.
I have to go with this... no matter what else turns up. That is so out-my-back-door. Unfortunately, development has taken most of that away. In fact, I wanted to post something like that for the 'Gone But Not Forgotten' contest, because it doesn't exist around my area any more. I'd have to go at least a couple of miles out of town to see a vista like that now.
Integral
Jun25-06, 02:57 AM
Mentor
P: 7,315
Wow! Talk about some goergeous pictures. I am humbeled, and with tons of what I thought were great scenery shots I can find nothing that holds a candle.... So... I'll go cute and furry... At least it is different

scorpa
Jun25-06, 07:25 AM
P: 372
Quote Quote by Danger
I have to go with this... no matter what else turns up. That is so out-my-back-door. Unfortunately, development has taken most of that away. In fact, I wanted to post something like that for the 'Gone But Not Forgotten' contest, because it doesn't exist around my area any more. I'd have to go at least a couple of miles out of town to see a vista like that now.
Yeah that is pretty much what it looks like in all directions around my house, you can literally see for miles. I go home to every chance I get, I don't think I will ever get used to the city, I just miss it way to much out there. My other pic was a lot better but I had already used it for the your city or neighbourhood contest :(

Register to reply