The Food Thread

by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Dec25-06, 11:14 AM
Admin
P: 21,871
I have several hot sauces from this place.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/index.php

Devil's Duel Habanero Pepper Sauce (not too hot, but great Habanero taste)
http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/viewProduct.php?p=43
Fiendishly Hot... the all natural blend of fresh herbs and those evil flame-licking habanero peppers bring hellfire to your tongue!

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/viewRecipe.php

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/viewProduct.php?p=37
Moonbear
Dec25-06, 03:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
All my plans to sit around the house eating away have gone totally awry! I'm sick. Anyone have a good recipe for water? I can't even get that to stay down. I'm going to brave some chicken broth though, in the hopes that some nutrients get absorbed before it comes back up, because the only thing worse than being sick is being sick and hungry and not able to eat.
Evo
Dec25-06, 04:45 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
All my plans to sit around the house eating away have gone totally awry! I'm sick. Anyone have a good recipe for water? I can't even get that to stay down. I'm going to brave some chicken broth though, in the hopes that some nutrients get absorbed before it comes back up, because the only thing worse than being sick is being sick and hungry and not able to eat.
Oh Moonbear, that's terrible! Do you have any REAL coca cola? The cola syrup is good for releaving nausea. I won't tell you what I eat when I'm sick, it'll just make you sicker, but it works for me.
Moonbear
Dec25-06, 04:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Oh Moonbear, that's terrible! Do you have any REAL coca cola? The cola syrup is good for releaving nausea. I won't tell you what I eat when I'm sick, it'll just make you sicker, but it works for me.
Nope. All the stores are closed and my friends and co-workers are out of town, so there's nobody local to call and plead for them to bring me medicine for my tummy. I attempted some chicken broth, though, and that seems to be staying put (it took effort to sip it slowly rather than gulp it down, because it tasted so good). I had to drink some Pepsi too, which didn't go down as easily, but I was adding a caffeine w/drawal headache on top of everything else (I didn't have my morning coffee, because I was trying to avoid caffeine to prevent any further dehydration).

This is a horrible whatever it is, because I AM hungry and have my normal appetite, but nothing was staying down. What I would give just to have a lemon to squeeze into some water to get some vitamins in.

And Ember is sitting here surrounded by her piles of new toys, and nobody to help her play with all of them.
Evo
Dec25-06, 05:45 PM
Mentor
Oh, that's terrible. If I was closer, I'd bring you something. Main thing is to not get dehydrated.
Astronuc
Dec25-06, 07:22 PM
Admin
Make sure the Coke Cola is decarbonated. Pepsi does not work.

Isn't there anyone you can call? Even if you call a pizza (or other food) delivery place and just order Coke - real or classic Coke as Evo specified - that would do. Or you could order something for later when you are well.

Always keep Coke and Gatorade for emergencies!

I hope you recover quickly.
Moonbear
Dec25-06, 09:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Isn't there anyone you can call? Even if you call a pizza (or other food) delivery place and just order Coke - real or classic Coke as Evo specified - that would do. Or you could order something for later when you are well.

Always keep Coke and Gatorade for emergencies!
College town on Christmas day...things are pretty much all closed. Definitely nobody delivering. I should have sent a PM to Physics_Wiz...he's still in town and we met last week.

I'm not sure I could stomach Coke or Gatorade...I don't like either on a good day...too sweet. I have to drag myself out to the farm tomorrow, and to feed my friend's cat, so I'll drag myself to the grocery store too and depending on how I feel, stock up on easy to eat things. I don't really like yogurt either, but I think I better eat some of that to repopulate all the bacteria that I think have been stripped from my gut today. If I still feel really awful tomorrow, one of the grad students will be back to help on the experiment we're running this week, so I can probably persuade him to run the errands for me instead.

I always have chicken broth in the pantry, and that went down well. And now I've moved up to oatmeal. That's better than the teaspoon of sugar I started with this afternoon when I knew I had to get something into me and nothing would stay put...just sucked on that for a while and got some sugar into my bloodstream which helped somewhat.

I think the worst is over now...I'm suspecting food poisoning from fish I had yesterday...the symptoms started showing up a few hours after eating that, and I didn't eat anything else unusual (baked potato and boiled frozen peas from a bag I had eaten from the day before). Now that it's all out of my system, I'm starting to get better. Still feel a bit nauseous and just plain wrung out, but nothing like this morning.
Evo
Dec25-06, 10:00 PM
Mentor
Poor Moonbear, I know that feeling and it's the worst.

I recently bought a frozen fillet of fish and just as I went to put it into the pan, I noticed some little white things that didn't look quite right. On closer inspection, they were worms. I looked it up on the internet and it seems that worms in fish are quite common. I haven't been able to eat fish since. People eat the worms all the time, they won't hurt you but...

Once the fish cooks and turns white, you can't see the worms anymore.
Moonbear
Dec25-06, 10:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Poor Moonbear, I know that feeling and it's the worst.

I recently bought a frozen fillet of fish and just as I went to put it into the pan, I noticed some little white things that didn't look quite right. On closer inspection, they were worms. I looked it up on the internet and it seems that worms in fish are quite common. I haven't been able to eat fish since. People eat the worms all the time, they won't hurt you but...

Once the fish cooks and turns white, you can't see the worms anymore.
The only worms I want touching my fish is the one that was on the hook when it was caught! I've never had a problem with fish before, even from this grocery store, but they probably were just putting out old stuff to get rid of it before being closed for a day, and I didn't really think about that. I was just in the mood for fish.
Ivan Seeking
Dec25-06, 11:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
A recent discovery: Due to an empty fridge, I found that dry salami and pepperoni with some extra-sharp cheddar and feta cheese makes a great deli-style sandwhich.
Evo
Dec26-06, 12:21 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
A recent discovery: Due to an empty fridge, I found that dry salami and pepperoni with some extra-sharp cheddar and feta cheese makes a great deli-style sandwhich.
That sounds good.

When I have an empty fridge, we're talking 3 month old pineapple slices, green olives and moldy cottage cheese.
Ivan Seeking
Dec26-06, 12:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
When I have an empty fridge, we're talking 3 month old pineapple slices, green olives and moldy cottage cheese.
Who knows? That may also be quite tasty.
radou
Dec26-06, 05:46 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
I know this is no pic thread, but I couldn't resist to give a link to yesterday's after-Christmas-dinner feast, powered by Grandma, of course: http://usera.imagecave.com/polkijuhzu322/PC250521a.jpg.

P.S. We still have loads of these cookies, but they are dissapearing rapidly, so who wants Christmas shipments should subscribe.
Astronuc
Dec26-06, 06:52 AM
Admin
You could start your own pharmaceutical company.

I looked it up on the internet and it seems that worms in fish are quite common.
My brother-in-law is an avid fisherman, and he mentioned that worms occur in older or grandfather fish, and he does not eat those, but throws them back. Some worms maybe OK, but many others are parasites and should not be eaten.

IMO, worms in food are a sign of poor hygiene/cleanliness. Many years ago, I visited the largest fishmarket in Japan where there were huge numbers of fresh fish just off the boats. In everything I saw, there were no worms - and that would be uncommon.

Round worms in fish
http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e00.htm

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../seaphoe.shtml

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap25.html

Well, this site indicates that worms are not bad.
http://research.myfwc.com/products/p...fo.asp?id=1952

Best to buy frozen fillets and cook them well.
Moonbear
Dec26-06, 11:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
That sounds good.

Good thing I'm feeling better today, or that might have sent me wretching again! I've never seen a fridge that empty except when moving into a new apartment when the previous tenants didn't clean out everything and left a few old wine coolers and outdated yogurt.
Evo
Jan5-07, 10:55 PM
Mentor
This is SO GOOD.

FRIED CABBAGE

1/4 pound bacon,
2 small heads of cabbage
1 large onion,
salt and pepper to taste

In large skillet, fry bacon. While it is frying, core and cut cabbage into bite size pieces, then chop onion. Add to skillet, frying on medium heat until tender.
scorpa
Jan5-07, 11:24 PM
P: 372
This is SO GOOD.

FRIED CABBAGE

1/4 pound bacon,
2 small heads of cabbage
1 large onion,
salt and pepper to taste

In large skillet, fry bacon. While it is frying, core and cut cabbage into bite size pieces, then chop onion. Add to skillet, frying on medium heat until tender.
That sounds something like my grandma makes, except she uses saurkraut. First you make homemade bread, then stuff it with hamburger, bacon, onions and saurkraut. It is SO SO good.
scorpa
Jan5-07, 11:28 PM
P: 372
Hmmm after reading the last page I think I may be turned off from fish for awhile....which is sad because i just bought some salmon for a treat. I think I'll put it in the freezer for awhile haha.

Register to reply