The Food Thread

by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
turbo
May14-13, 06:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
We have morels in Maine, too. Very tasty mushrooms. Slice them and pan-fry them. They are easily overpowered by other foods, so it's a good idea to serve them up neat.
Evo
May14-13, 06:23 PM
Mentor
P: 26,522
Morels grow wild in the fields and yards of people in rural areas here. Evo Child and her BF hunted and cooked up a bunch. She loves them, I got none. They're crazy expensive at a restaurant.
turbo
May14-13, 07:25 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Morels grow wild in the fields and yards of people in rural areas here. Evo Child and her BF hunted and cooked up a bunch. She loves them, I got none. They're crazy expensive at a restaurant.
No sharing? That's immorel.
dlgoff
May14-13, 07:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
No sharing? That's immorel.
Around here, you don't even share where you've found them.

BTW One needs to beware of the false morel. Some, like this one, looks very similar to a morel.

reenmachine
May14-13, 08:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 521
sushis are the best

said my piece
turbo
May16-13, 06:23 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Around here, you don't even share where you've found them.

BTW One needs to beware of the false morel. Some, like this one, looks very similar to a morel.

Around here, if you have found a great place to pick fiddleheads you NEVER tell about the place. Those baby ferns freeze well if you blanch them promptly and they are such a welcome addition to sparse winter meals. My wife and I can afford pretty much we want to eat now, but it was not always the case (~40 years back) and local seasonal foods are always a special touch. When I was a kid, my father now 87) would say "one brake will spoil the batch", meaning that if you picked the immature sprouts of a similar fern and they ended up in the steaming pot, their bitterness would ruin the taste of the real fiddleheads.

BTW, around here about the only morels that I find are quite pale (yellow morels), and I haven't found any interlopers, but thanks for that heads-up.
Borek
May16-13, 08:45 AM
Admin
P: 23,530
Why one of the tags associated with the thread is "ninfa"? I checked wikipedia and I don't get what it may have to do with food.
dlgoff
May16-13, 09:49 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Maybe the tag should have been Ninfa's.
Evo
May20-13, 04:16 PM
Mentor
Some things are so simple, you don't think about a recipe, but I realize that we have some people new to cooking, and some of us are getting older and can't remember as well as we once did.

This is one of those simple recipes. It's for corned beef hash, but you can use any leftover meat, roast beef, ground beef, ham... This is SO GOOD.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/corned_beef_hash/

And just in case the URL ever goes bad, here's the recipe.

Corned Beef Hash Recipe

If you have leftover cabbage from corned beef and cabbage, feel free to chop that up as well and add that to the hash.
INGREDIENTS
• 2-3 Tbsp butter
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
• 2-3 cups finely chopped, cooked corned beef
• 2-3 cups chopped cooked potatoes, preferably Yukon gold
• Salt and pepper
• Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
METHOD
1 Heat butter in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) on medium heat. Add the onion and cook a few minutes, until translucent.

2 Mix in the chopped corned beef and potatoes. Spread out evenly over the pan. Increase the heat to high or medium high and press down on the mixture with a metal spatula.

3 Do not stir the potatoes and corned beef, but let them brown. If you hear them sizzling, this is good. Use a metal spatula to peak underneath and see if they are browning. If nicely browned, use the spatula to flip sections over in the pan so that they brown on the other side. Press down again with the spatula. If there is too much sticking, you can add a little more butter to the pan. Continue to cook in this manner until the potatoes and the corned beef are nicely browned.

4 Remove from heat, stir in chopped parsley (if desired). Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper, and add salt to taste.

Serve with fried or poached eggs for breakfast.
Serves 4-6.

If you like it spicy, sprinkle with a bit of cayenne or red pepper flakes when you add the meat and potatoes.
dlgoff
May29-13, 04:34 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Yummy fresh from the pasture.

Check out the results of my simple shroom batter:

whisk 6 Roger egg yolks
whisk in liberal amount of McCormick Perfect Pinch Cajun seasoning
whisk in some NaCl
whisk in 1/2 box (8.5 oz/box) "Jiffy" corn muffin mix
put in the shrooms and gently make sure all surfaces are covered
Place battered shrooms in deep fryer @ 400F until golden brown

trollcast
Jun16-13, 10:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 291
My latest experiment with bread making:

I didn't have enough strong flour so I used about a 70:30 ratio of strong : plain however I wasn't able to build up enough elasticity in the dough so it collapsed a bit although overall the texture is good its more like a dense non yeast risen bread texture.

I also used maple syrup to give the yeast something to grow with (It seems to have given the bread a nicer flavour compared to the normal sugar)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00139.JPG  
drizzle
Jun16-13, 11:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 525
Looks like a slice of a pound cake to me, troll.

But if the bread tastes good, who cares what it looks like.
Evo
Jun17-13, 09:39 PM
Mentor
Ohhhh. ohhhhhhh. I made fried fish tonight, perfectly crispy and crunchy on the outside, moist and perfectly cooked on the inside. I drained it thoroughly on layers of paper towels on both sides.

I haven't done this in ages because I fear fried foods due to my gall bladder. It was sooooo good. And I seemed to have gotten most of the oil off. I should've made tartar sauce, but I ate a pickle on the side instead.
turbo
Jul14-13, 12:22 AM
PF Gold
I had a late night meal of pan-fried baby potatoes. I love small potatoes when they are hard and crispy. Here's how:

Warm up a small cast-iron pan and toss a dollop of butter in there.
Cut up your potatoes (if they are early-season reds, I simply halve them, but larger potatoes get quartered).
Toss the chopped potatoes in the pan and wait for the butter to come back up to temperature. When the butter starts sizzling a bit, cover the pan so the potatoes are steam-cooked and soft.
Check the potatoes from time to time, and uncover the pan in order to brown them.
When the potatoes are browned, enjoy.

I realize that this seems like a simplistic "recipe", but it really does matter how you cook the potatoes to get a decent meal from them.
dlgoff
Jul17-13, 06:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Here's how I make Blackberry topping on the fly.

Two batches of blackberries; one whole, one with sugar to juice out with a colander.

I stuffed the jars with whole berries, cooked (microwaved) the sugared juice, then added fruit pectin (just enough to thicken but not set) to the juice.

I ladled the hot juice into the 12oz jars of berries, tightened on the lids, and brought up the temps in a canner (just long enough to get good seals). Since there wasn't enough juice for all the berries, I sugared the remaining for freezing.

turbo
Jul17-13, 06:59 PM
PF Gold
Killer, Don!
Evo
Jul17-13, 07:29 PM
Mentor
I love blackberries!!! You lucky dog!
dlgoff
Jul17-13, 07:51 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Killer, Don!
Thank you.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I love blackberries!!! You lucky dog!
They were easy to grow. I just set out four starts (3 varieties) last spring. One of the varieties is just now starting to ripen (good to spread the season out). The hardest part was making the trellis deer and bird proof (but not Buddy proof along the bottom of the patch). But beware, they can take over your garden if you let them.

Register to reply