The Food Thread

by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
Evo
Dec13-13, 03:40 PM
Mentor
P: 26,472
This is my girl's favorite Christmas cookie. I started making these with my mom when I was a small child, an old recipe off a box of corn flakes.

Cherry Winks

Ingredients

3/4 cup shortening (I use crisco) Do not use oil!!! This is the white stuff in the can, now available in sticks.
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
2 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
10 maraschino cherries, quartered

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets (or line with aluminum foil, shiny side down, parchment, etc...)

Cream the shortening with the sugar. Blend in the eggs, milk and vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chopped pecans, chopped dates and 1/3 cup maraschino cherries.

Shape teaspoonful sized chunks of dough into balls. Roll each ball in the crushed corn flakes. Place balls on the prepared baking sheets and top each cookie with 1/4 maraschino cherry (pressed lightly into center, cut side down).

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
danago
Dec15-13, 10:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,131
Sounds great Evo. I would probably use butter instead of shortening though, because I really do love butter (probably too much).
danago
Dec15-13, 10:15 AM
PF Gold
I'm in Nice at the moment, and just had some socca, one of the foods eaten regularly here. Socca is a flat cake made from chickpea flour and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

Evo
Dec15-13, 10:53 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by danago View Post
Sounds great Evo. I would probably use butter instead of shortening though, because I really do love butter (probably too much).
The shortening is needed for the texture, and they would spread too much with butter. I also usually prefer the taste of butter in my cookies, but you won't miss it in this one.
Evo
Dec15-13, 11:35 AM
Mentor
I'm in Nice at the moment, and just had some socca, one of the foods eaten regularly here. Socca is a flat cake made from chickpea flour and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

I have family in Nice! When I was there I don't remember seeing these, but it was ages go. They look good, and I actually have chickpea flour.
danago
Dec15-13, 03:20 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I have family in Nice! When I was there I don't remember seeing these, but it was ages go. They look good, and I actually have chickpea flour.
Just about every second cafe seems to sell it, although the place I went to had a long line (I waited about 30 minutes, and socca directly from the wood fire was the only thing they sold) so I assume this was on the better end of the scale. It's very addictive!

So far, Nice seems like a great, albeit very small, city. It is my first time in France, and I am trying to speak French wherever possible, mais malheureusement mon français n'est pas trés bon!
Astronuc
Dec15-13, 04:11 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
I made oatmeal with egg nog for breakfast this morning. It's pretty good.
danago
Dec17-13, 05:18 AM
PF Gold
I was walking through some market stalls and couldn't help myself...I go weak at the knees for Nutella.

Monique
Dec17-13, 12:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Ewwww, that's no food for me.

Last weekend I was busy cooking again for friends and made a "Persian" dinner.
Amuse: stuffed apricot (with herb cheese, dille and a pecan nut)
Appetizers: stuffed cherry tomatoes (with diced onion/herbs/and an olive), stuffed mushrooms (bread crumbs/pecorino/herbs) and stuffed bell pepper (spiced couscous)
Main course: beet/sweet potato/grated carrot salad with orange dressing, lentil/tomato salad with blue berries/ basil/ pistachio nuts, rice cake filled with spinach, and a herbed omelet.
Dessert: simple vanilla ice cream with warm blue berries and a waffle.

Tonight I have left-over rice cake with the beet/sweet potato salad.. can't wait to dig in *edit* a blurry picture, but the fragrance coming off the dish is amazing:
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
danago
Dec17-13, 03:01 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
Ewwww, that's no food for me.

Last weekend I was busy cooking again for friends and made a "Persian" dinner.
Amuse: stuffed apricot (with herb cheese, dille and a pecan nut)
Appetizers: stuffed cherry tomatoes (with diced onion/herbs/and an olive), stuffed mushrooms (bread crumbs/pecorino/herbs) and stuffed bell pepper (spiced couscous)
Main course: beet/sweet potato/grated carrot salad with orange dressing, lentil/tomato salad with blue berries/ basil/ pistachio nuts, rice cake filled with spinach, and a herbed omelet.
Dessert: simple vanilla ice cream with warm blue berries and a waffle.

Tonight I have left-over rice cake with the beet/sweet potato salad.. can't wait to dig in *edit* a blurry picture, but the fragrance coming off the dish is amazing:
Sounds like a great menu, although I've never had a salad of blueberries and basil before. Is that a combination typical of the Persian cuisine, or is it something you came up with?
Monique
Dec17-13, 03:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Sounds like a great menu, although I've never had a salad of blueberries and basil before. Is that a combination typical of the Persian cuisine, or is it something you came up with?
That's the one thing (well, together with the dessert) that wasn't Persian The ingredients are combined with the lentils and cherry tomatoes and the vibrant colors, in my opinion, made it fit for a "Persian" dinner theme

What the salad looks like (image not mine):
danago
Dec17-13, 03:27 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
That's the one thing (well, together with the dessert) that wasn't Persian The ingredients are combined with the lentils and cherry tomatoes and the vibrant colors, in my opinion, made it fit for a "Persian" dinner theme

What the salad looks like (image not mine):
Looks great! I've got a thing for salads with nuts, although I usually default to pine nuts. I think I'll use pistachios in my next salad now though :)
Ivan Seeking
Dec21-13, 01:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Elk stir fry!

My normal main meal these days is generally stir fry, with kale, spinach, chard, broccoli, cauliflower, three colors of bell pepper, carrots, onion, mushrooms, pea pods, sharp cheddar, maybe some tomatoes, and usually some kind of meat.

It goes well with pretty much anything - beef, chicken, turkey, ham... But a friend recently gave me some elk meat, which I had never tried. So I tried it in my stir fry and it was extremely tasty!
Borek
Dec22-13, 10:32 AM
Admin
P: 23,386
12 dishes of Polish Christmas:

http://culture.pl/en/article/the-12-...lish-christmas
dlgoff
Dec22-13, 10:52 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
This is the best part of the article IMO.

Although this meal is reserved for the closest family, it is customary to set an extra plate and seat for an unexpected guest or even a vagrant.
OmCheeto
Dec22-13, 11:46 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
hmmmm..... My mother was born in Poland, and she never mentioned this.....

Though she did have a fondness for red beets. But she never made borscht. I've just recently heard that, made properly, it is delightful.

And what the heck is Pierogi. Isn't that a line from Men in Black?

google google google

Ah ha!

My mother made the best Pierogi on the planet.
Yanick
Dec22-13, 05:39 PM
P: 380
I have two questions for you, sir.

1. Do you actually do this for the holiday?

If yes to #1 then:

2. Can I come over for Christmas?

I miss my mom's food
lisab
Dec22-13, 07:32 PM
Mentor
P: 2,976
The cabbage rolls sound especially delicious .

Register to reply