The Food Thread

by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
turbo
Jan6-08, 11:30 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Since I discovered Applegate Farm's All Natural Organic hot dogs, I have been doing a lot of independent research on quantum hot dogs. Through diligent and careful experimentation, I have discovered the fundamental units of this field. The frank length, the frank mass, and the frank time. The elementary units of the frank appear in multiples of 8, though the elementary units of the complementary bread seem to arise in multiples of 6 - an inequality that is inexplicable, and does not adequately resolve until one has fabricated 24 units of the basic compound.

Through the liberal application of habanero relish, I have been able to test these fundamental food compounds at higher and higher energies, though as yet I have been unable to find traces of the theoretical Hot Diggity Dog-zon from which the frank mass originates. I am approaching the energy-limitations of my testing apparatus, and judging from the looks of the larder, I may have to ration energy and either test less frequently or forgo testing at the highest energy levels until the inventory is replenished. 9 months/3 half-pint energy cannisters = almost certain curtailment.
turbo
Jan6-08, 05:02 PM
PF Gold
We hosted dinner for my father today, with a large pork rib roast, baked potatoes, home-grown buttercup squash from our cold-cellar, frozen home-grown Swiss chard, and other goodies. We brined the roast overnight with the same brine that Alton Brown recommends in "Romancing the Bird" rinsed it thoroughly, and dredged it in a coating of flour with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and turkey seasonings (Sage is SO good with pork). We roasted the pork in a shallow pan with a little water in the bottom, lightly covered with aluminum foil. When the pork was done, I made up a flour-water mix and whisked that into the juices that were boiling on the stove-top. The roast and the gravy were to die for! Moonie, even your inept brother-in-law (he of the dry pork roasts) cannot screw this up. When you brine the roast, it drives in juices, and the coating keeps in the juices while it's cooking. You've got to use very little water in the pan, so the juices from the pork get a chance to caramelize in the pan so you can make a nice DARK rich gravy! Since we tried brining roasts, we keep a super-sharp eye out for sales on pork - it has turned into our favorite meal.

My father's 82nd birthday is Wednesday, and we sent him home with a ton of food, as always.
wolram
Jan7-08, 08:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,671
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Since I discovered Applegate Farm's All Natural Organic hot dogs, I have been doing a lot of independent research on quantum hot dogs. Through diligent and careful experimentation, I have discovered the fundamental units of this field. The frank length, the frank mass, and the frank time. The elementary units of the frank appear in multiples of 8, though the elementary units of the complementary bread seem to arise in multiples of 6 - an inequality that is inexplicable, and does not adequately resolve until one has fabricated 24 units of the basic compound.

Through the liberal application of habanero relish, I have been able to test these fundamental food compounds at higher and higher energies, though as yet I have been unable to find traces of the theoretical Hot Diggity Dog-zon from which the frank mass originates. I am approaching the energy-limitations of my testing apparatus, and judging from the looks of the larder, I may have to ration energy and either test less frequently or forgo testing at the highest energy levels until the inventory is replenished. 9 months/3 half-pint energy cannisters = almost certain curtailment.
LOL, you should be the funniest member.
turbo
Jan7-08, 08:43 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by wolram View Post
LOL, you should be the funniest member.
Hey! I'm serious about this field of research!
wolram
Jan7-08, 09:25 AM
PF Gold
Turbo, may be you are the one to ask about corned beef, not the stuff you get in a tin, this is joints of meat preserved in some way, the only place i have eaten it is Ireland and it is very good, i have searched all over for the method used without result.
turbo
Jan7-08, 10:03 AM
PF Gold
Corned beef is beef that has been picked in brine. It is generally available in supermarkets year-round here, though some stores run special sales ahead of St Patrick's day. I've never had tinned corned beef, so I wouldn't know how they compare. Corned beef makes a nice boiled dinner, cooked in the same pot with cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc.
wolram
Jan7-08, 10:17 AM
PF Gold
Is there a prefer ed brine? it is annoying you guys seem to have every thing, why the heck is England is so food poor.
turbo
Jan7-08, 10:27 AM
PF Gold
I don't know what kind of brine the meat-packers use - I imagine that it's a saturated solution of salt in water, with some spices added.

Here's a recipe for corning your own beef briskets.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/beef...r/blbeef29.htm
wolram
Jan7-08, 04:35 PM
PF Gold
Thanks Turbo, i printed off a copy for my file.
wolram
Jan8-08, 09:43 PM
PF Gold
I found this in a mag and it is good.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
3-4 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut in pieces
2 onions chopped
2 green bell peppers
1 can 4 ounces chopped jalapenos
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup beer

Heat 2 table spoons oil in a skilllet over medium heat, add the beef and brown,
transfer to slow cooker, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skilllet and saute the
onions and green peppers until soft, transfer to slow cooker, stir in jalapenos, chili powdwer, oregano, cumin , salt and beer, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 houres.

I had to half the measures.
hypatia
Jan8-08, 11:33 PM
P: 1,296
BLUEBERRY BUCKLE

Mix together
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter, room temp
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk

Mix in
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp any spice you like{I use cinnamon}

Fold in 1 quart of berries

spread into a 8x8 buttered pan

In a small bowl mix until crumbly.
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter
spread on the top

Bake in preheated 375 oven about 45 minutes.

This stuff rocks! heheh eating some now!
wolram
Jan9-08, 12:34 AM
PF Gold
How come you ladies are not as fat as barrels eating all this sweet stuff?

I mean 3/4 cup of sugar!!
rewebster
Jan9-08, 10:09 AM
P: 880
hey--turbo

have you ever 'brined' chicken?
turbo
Jan9-08, 10:16 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
hey--turbo

have you ever 'brined' chicken?
I have brined turkeys, and they come out juicy and delicious. I imagine chicken would be even more tender. I don't eat commercially packed chickens or turkeys because they are injected with MSG and I'm very allergic to that. I have to be careful of pork, too because a lot of pork is now water-added (with MSG included).
rewebster
Jan9-08, 10:19 AM
P: 880
What?!!

no chickens running around that garden keeping the bugs down?

-----------------

are they too much, or have you got a local supplier then?
hypatia
Jan9-08, 12:37 PM
P: 1,296
Quote Quote by wolram View Post
How come you ladies are not as fat as barrels eating all this sweet stuff?

I mean 3/4 cup of sugar!!
Because you only eat one slice of it, and take the rest of it to work and leave it in the break room.
turbo
Jan9-08, 12:44 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
What?!!

no chickens running around that garden keeping the bugs down?

-----------------

are they too much, or have you got a local supplier then?
There is a farm a few miles from here that raises free-range Black Angus and free-range chickens and we buy from them. There is another place that raises turkeys, nearby. We are currently about out of poultry and will have to hit one of these places and stock up again. I don't want to get into raising chickens, in part because I would have to keep them penned. Where we live, there are weasels, fishers, raccoons, and other critters that would love me to provide them free chickens.
jim mcnamara
Jan9-08, 01:00 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,355
Quote Quote by hypatia View Post
Because you only eat one slice of it, and take the rest of it to work and leave it in the break room.
Aw shucks, our break room is broken. It's specialized a black hole. Any remotely edible object or collections thereof are sucked into a gravity well instantaneously. Put 'em down, poof! gone. The gravity well seems to reject plates, though. It ate fourteen pizzas last week, leaving just the cardboard boxes. Any attempt to measure entropy fails as it also eats that as well. I can accept no other conclusion All the data is gone, too.

Register to reply