Find Resonant Freq, Q, Power Diss pwr Half Pwr Freq in RLC Circuit

In summary, for a parallel RLC circuit with R=500Ω, L=0.5mH, and C=20μF, the resonant frequency is 10000 rad/sec, the Q factor is 100, and the bandwidth is 100 rad/sec. The half-power frequencies are 1005.01 and 995.01 rad/sec. The average power dissipated at resonant frequency and at the half-power frequencies can be easily calculated.
FrogPad
Question:
A parallel RLC circuit, which is driven by a variable frequency 10-A source, has the following parameters:
[tex] R=500\Omega [/tex]
[tex] L=0.5mH [/tex]
[tex] C=20\muF [/tex]

Find the resonant frequency, the [itex] Q [/itex], the average power dissipated at resonant frequency, the [itex] BW [/itex], and the average power dissipated at the half-power frequencies.

Answer:
[itex] Q [/itex], [itex] \omega_0 [/itex], and [itex] BW [/itex] are all straightfoward calculations.

[tex] Q = 100 [/itex]
[tex] BW = 100 \frac{rad}{sec}[/tex]
[tex] \omega_0 = 10000\frac{rad}{sec} [/tex]

The half power frequencies are:
[tex] \omega_{hi} = 1005.01 [/tex]
[tex] \omega_{lo} = 995.01 [/itex]

I don't understand how to calculate the average power dissapated at resonant frequency, OR at the half power frequencies. If someone could give me a push in the right direction, that would be swell :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:smile: nm, figured it out. That was embarrassingly easy.

Hello,

To calculate the average power dissipated at resonant frequency, we can use the formula P = I^2R, where I is the current through the circuit and R is the resistance of the circuit. In this case, the resistance is equal to R = 500Ω.

To find the current at resonant frequency, we can use the formula I = V/R, where V is the voltage across the circuit. The voltage across the circuit can be found using Ohm's Law, V = IZ, where Z is the impedance of the circuit. In a parallel RLC circuit, the impedance is given by Z = R/(1 + j(Q/Q0)), where Q0 = 1/(RCω0).

Thus, the current at resonant frequency is:
I = V/R = (10 A)/(500Ω) = 0.02 A

The average power dissipated at resonant frequency is then:
P = I^2R = (0.02 A)^2(500Ω) = 0.02 W

To calculate the average power dissipated at the half-power frequencies, we can use the same formula P = I^2R, but we need to find the current at these frequencies. The current through a parallel RLC circuit is given by I = V/Z, where Z is the impedance of the circuit. At the half-power frequencies, the impedance is equal to Z = R/√2.

Thus, the current at the half-power frequencies is:
I = V/Z = (10 A)/(500Ω/√2) = 0.028 A

The average power dissipated at the half-power frequencies is then:
P = I^2R = (0.028 A)^2(500Ω) = 0.039 W

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a resonant frequency in an RLC circuit?

A resonant frequency is the frequency at which an RLC circuit exhibits the greatest response to an applied AC voltage. This means that the circuit will have the highest amplitude of current or voltage at this frequency.

2. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency can be calculated using the formula fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the circuit. This formula assumes a series RLC circuit and a sinusoidal input voltage.

3. What is the Q factor in an RLC circuit?

The Q factor, also known as quality factor, is a measure of the efficiency of an RLC circuit. It is defined as the ratio of the energy stored in the circuit to the energy dissipated in the circuit per cycle. A higher Q factor indicates a more efficient circuit.

4. How do you calculate the Q factor in an RLC circuit?

The Q factor can be calculated using the formula Q = √(L / CR), where L is the inductance of the circuit, C is the capacitance of the circuit, and R is the resistance of the circuit. This formula also assumes a series RLC circuit and a sinusoidal input voltage.

5. What is the half-power frequency in an RLC circuit?

The half-power frequency is the frequency at which the power dissipated in the circuit is half of the maximum power dissipation. This frequency is also known as the bandwidth of the circuit. It can be calculated using the formula fh = fr / Q, where fr is the resonant frequency and Q is the Q factor of the circuit.