Top C Programming Resources for Practice and Development

In summary, the conversation participants discuss various options for obtaining the necessary files and tools for creating, compiling, and running C programs. Suggestions include using Pacific C, downloading Cygwin or DevC++ for Windows, or using a Linux distribution like Knoppix. Someone also recommends Microsoft Visual Studios for its comprehensive features. The conversation ends with a quote about learning from others and a link to a website.
Benny
Hi, does anyone know of any websites which I can access to obtain the necessary files for me to able to create, compile and run C programs? I really need some programming practice and reading my textbook won't be enough. So any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've used Pacific C in the past for simple stuff, and it's available as a free download:

http://www.htsoft.com/products/PACIFICc.php

BTW, to find that previous pointer, I googled pacific c free download, and got lots of related hits for other compilers. Maybe try that google to see if any of the others interest you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're running Windows, my advice is to download Cygwin. The default install includes both gcc and mingw.

If you're interested in an integrated development environment, I suggest DevC++.

- Warren

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Get a linux distribution! Full of programming stuff like that. You don't even really have to re-install your system if you want -- you could get a Linux distribution that boots off a cd (google for Knoppix)! Compiling and running C code is part of the OS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

http://www.surgecurrent.com

Not sure if you are still looking, but I encountered the exact same issue not long ago. I did my research and ended up going with Microsoft Visual Studios (or Visual C++) it includes everything you need, the IDE and compilers and everything. I know the name says Visual C++ but it is not limited to C++ programming, it works great for C as well (which is what I'm programming in).

1. What is C programming?

C programming is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that was originally developed in the 1970s. It is widely used for system and application software, as well as in embedded systems and microcontrollers. C is known for its efficiency, portability, and flexibility.

2. Where can I find resources for learning C programming?

There are many online resources available for learning C programming, such as tutorials, courses, and coding challenges. Some popular websites include Codeacademy, Udemy, and Coursera. You can also find books and online forums dedicated to C programming.

3. What are some good IDEs for C programming?

Some popular integrated development environments (IDEs) for C programming include Visual Studio, Eclipse, and Code::Blocks. These IDEs provide a user-friendly interface for writing, compiling, and debugging C code.

4. How can I improve my C programming skills?

To improve your C programming skills, it's important to practice regularly and work on challenging projects. You can also attend workshops or join coding communities to learn from others and get feedback on your code. Reading and studying code written by experienced C programmers can also be helpful.

5. Is C programming still relevant in today's technology landscape?

Yes, C programming is still widely used in many industries, including software development, electronics, and operating systems. While it may not be as popular as newer languages like Java or Python, it remains an important language for low-level programming and high-performance applications.