Am I to the end of this Boolean Algebra Problem?

In summary, the problem given is a Boolean expression that has been simplified to ac'd' + b'c'd' + a'b'c. The person is seeking help in further simplifying it and mentions using a Karnaugh map. After finding an error in their initial attempt, they now have the same answer as the person they are communicating with. They mention wanting a smaller expression to use in a query.
Caponae
Here's the problem:

a'b'c'd' + a'b'cd' + a'b'cd + ab'c'd' + abc'd'

I've gotten it down to:
ac'd' + b'c'd' + a'b'c

Having trouble coming up with a way to simplify it more...Is this as far as it can go?
Any help appreciated, thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a quick K-map, and got it down to 3 terms, but my terms are different from yours. I got 2 3-terms and one 4-term.

Did you use a Karnaugh map? Where did the ac'd' term come from, for example?

I used Boolean Algebra Axioms that I had learned in college to simplify it to the result that I got...

The lines are on the board at work, I'll try to update this thread with them tomorrow from work...

Thanks for the response...

berkeman said:
I did a quick K-map, and got it down to 3 terms, but my terms are different from yours. I got 2 3-terms and one 4-term.

Did you use a Karnaugh map? Where did the ac'd' term come from, for example?
I found an error in my quick K-map. I now get the same answer as you. For problems like this with up to 4 inputs, the K-map is the easiest way to see what the simplest answer is. Well, assuming you don't make an error like I did yesterday :blushing:

no problem...it happens...thanks for the update...i feel confident about the math, i just wanted it smaller to help out in a query that i was writing...

1. What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a type of mathematical system that deals with binary values (true or false) and logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT.

2. What is the purpose of Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is used to simplify and manipulate logical expressions, which are commonly used in computer programming and digital electronics.

3. How do I know if I have reached the end of a Boolean Algebra problem?

In a simplified Boolean Algebra expression, all variables should be paired with their complement (NOT) and there should be no more operations that can be performed.

4. What are some common mistakes in solving Boolean Algebra problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to distribute NOT operations across parentheses, using incorrect logical operations, and not simplifying expressions fully.

5. Are there any tips for solving Boolean Algebra problems more efficiently?

Yes, some tips include using De Morgan's Laws to simplify expressions, drawing truth tables to visualize the logic, and practicing simplifying expressions by hand.