Register to reply

Basic physics, solve for speed?

by mhb22079
Tags: basic, physics, solve, speed
Share this thread:
mhb22079
Jul22-06, 07:40 AM
P: 1
It has been years since I have taken physics and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to solve the following real-world problem.

Given 2 vehicles a & b:
a's speed = 0, weight = 4,250 lbs
b's speed = x, weight = 3,260 lbs.

After b impacts a from behind and leaving a space of 8 feet between the two vehicles, what is the is approximate speed of vehicle B. I realize of course road conditions, brakes applied, vehicle absorbing the blow, etc plays a big part but I'm just trying to get a near-figure.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Kurdt
Jul22-06, 09:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,981
this is a conservation of momentum question where the initial momemtum must be equal to the final momentum. The initial momentum is clearly:

[tex] p_i = m_b v_bi[/tex]

The momentum immediately after impact must be equivalent to this:

[tex] p_f = m_a v_a + m_b v_bf = p_i = m_b v_bi [/tex]

The only problem I can see is working out the velocity soon after impact. Is there any other data supplied with this question or not? If not just make an estimate of the deceleration of car a and work backwards from the distance moved.
al_201314
Jul22-06, 10:19 AM
P: 116
Apologise for hijacking the thread may I ask something regarding momentum as well.

In my syllabus I'm usually given questions on head-on collisions with masses moving in the same direction intially one faster than another or one being stationary.

Lets say if there are 2 masses moving in the opposite directions approaching each other before collision, for the total KE of the system, should I add or find the difference the KE of the 2 masses? I suppose it is to add as it is in travelling in the same direction since KE is a scalar?

Thanks for the clarification.

deepakalways
Jul22-06, 10:27 AM
P: 7
Basic physics, solve for speed?

"Lets say if there are 2 masses moving in the opposite directions approaching each other before collision, for the total KE of the system, should I add or find the difference the KE of the 2 masses? I suppose it is to add as it is in travelling in the same direction since KE is a scalar?"

no al 201314, you always add the KEs as its a scalar
Hootenanny
Jul23-06, 06:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,781
An important point to note however, is that kinetic energy is only conserved in elastic collisions.

Register to reply