Basic physics, solve for speed?

In summary: In inelastic collisions, such as a head-on collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted to heat.
mhb22079
It has been years since I have taken physics and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to solve the following real-world problem.

Given 2 vehicles a & b:
a's speed = 0, weight = 4,250 lbs
b's speed = x, weight = 3,260 lbs.

After b impacts a from behind and leaving a space of 8 feet between the two vehicles, what is the is approximate speed of vehicle B. I realize of course road conditions, brakes applied, vehicle absorbing the blow, etc plays a big part but I'm just trying to get a near-figure.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
this is a conservation of momentum question where the initial momentum must be equal to the final momentum. The initial momentum is clearly:

[tex] p_i = m_b v_bi[/tex]

The momentum immediately after impact must be equivalent to this:

[tex] p_f = m_a v_a + m_b v_bf = p_i = m_b v_bi [/tex]

The only problem I can see is working out the velocity soon after impact. Is there any other data supplied with this question or not? If not just make an estimate of the deceleration of car a and work backwards from the distance moved.

Apologise for hijacking the thread may I ask something regarding momentum as well.

In my syllabus I'm usually given questions on head-on collisions with masses moving in the same direction intially one faster than another or one being stationary.

Lets say if there are 2 masses moving in the opposite directions approaching each other before collision, for the total KE of the system, should I add or find the difference the KE of the 2 masses? I suppose it is to add as it is in traveling in the same direction since KE is a scalar?

Thanks for the clarification.

"Lets say if there are 2 masses moving in the opposite directions approaching each other before collision, for the total KE of the system, should I add or find the difference the KE of the 2 masses? I suppose it is to add as it is in traveling in the same direction since KE is a scalar?"

no al 201314, you always add the KEs as its a scalar

An important point to note however, is that kinetic energy is only conserved in elastic collisions.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for speed is speed = distance / time. This means that in order to calculate the speed of an object, you must know the distance it has traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do I convert units when solving for speed?

To convert units when solving for speed, you must make sure that the units for distance and time match. For example, if distance is given in meters and time is given in seconds, you must convert the distance to meters and the time to seconds before plugging them into the speed formula.

3. Can speed be negative?

Yes, speed can be negative. This typically occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if an object is moving at a speed of -5 m/s, it means that it is moving in the negative direction at a rate of 5 meters per second.

4. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous speed can vary at different points in time.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that velocity takes into account the direction an object is moving, while speed does not. For example, a car traveling at 60 mph north has a velocity of 60 mph, while a car traveling at 60 mph south has a velocity of -60 mph.