Free Math Textbooks

by Mickey
Tags: free, math, textbooks
Share this thread:
Mickey
Jul30-06, 04:34 PM
P: 212
http://www.totallyfreemath.com/

With the current price of a new algebra textbook approaching $110 and publishers bringing out a new edition every three to four years just to prevent students from selling their used books, we have decided to create a site where the textbooks are free. We wish to share our knowledge of mathematics with anyone who wants to learn new material, increase their current understanding, review previous topics, or just explore mathematics. We hope this will be a useful resource for families doing home schooling, people tutoring mathematics, schools that cannot afford to purchase up-to-date textbooks, and anyone else who can benefit from our materials.

We have posted one of our beginning algebra textbooks linked to student's solutions manual and instructor's resource manual. The instructor's resource manual includes tests, quizzes, syllabus, challenge problems and teaching tips. You will be able to view it on the web, or download the textbook and the solutions as complete sections. As time and resources allow, we will be adding 9 more free textbooks to this site, and the material will always be accessible to even the slowest of Internet connections.
Wooo!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
Mattara
Jul30-06, 04:46 PM
P: 398
There is currently one book only posted on that site. Interesting though :)
Mickey
Jul30-06, 05:27 PM
Right, but they'll be adding nine more, so check back.

In the mean time, it's still good for anyone who wants to learn physics to go back to a beginning algebra book and make sure it's mastered, hey?

I've already realized that I had forgotten a method for finding a least common denominator (I've always been able to get by just playing with multiplying the numbers in my head... they make it so easy).

PPonte
Jul31-06, 12:59 PM
P: n/a
Free Math Textbooks

Quote Quote by Mickey
The site appears to be down.
Is there an alternative site to download the book?
Mickey
Jul31-06, 02:30 PM
Quote Quote by PPonte
The site appears to be down. Is there an alternative site to download the book?
Shoot. That's because it was recently featured on Digg. There's no mirror because, although it's free, it's still copyrighted. It'll be back up another day.
wavemaster
Aug1-06, 02:08 PM
P: 19
By now, it's up.
mathwonk
Aug1-06, 04:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,470
my websitye ahs several freely downloadable books.

also in general the quality of a book is in many cases in versely related to th price, so you can find a large number of excellent books on the web used for very cheap price that are vastly superior to the costly ones that schools use.
J77
Aug2-06, 03:48 AM
P: 1,157
Those free books like surprisingly like an advert for that getmath diskette they advertise...

SPAM.
jbusc
Aug2-06, 03:57 AM
Quote Quote by mathwonk
also in general the quality of a book is in many cases in versely related to th price, so you can find a large number of excellent books on the web used for very cheap price that are vastly superior to the costly ones that schools use.
at my school quite a few advanced graduate courses (intended for PhD and advanced master's students) have no required textbook, just online notes and other resources.

This is partly because there are very few textbooks which cover all the content the professor wishes to cover, partly due to the fact that much of the material is still in the research phase and so the primary sources of information are formal journal papers and informal research notes, and partly because buying textbooks is ridiculous when free high-quality resources are available.

You have to always make sure that what you read has no errors in it, but you have to do that with standard textbooks also. I remember when I took calculus 3 I discovered an error in one of the examples in the textbook (which was in 7th edition and presumably reviewed by tens of thousands of students and teachers)
mathwonk
Aug6-06, 10:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,470
the gatec=h website ahd a great book by a math prof and a oprof of mechanixl enginering on tensors. they say they almost ahd to relearn the subject before using it in ersearch due to the old fashioned way it was first atught to therm. i have been arguing this point now for over 2 years here. here is the confirmation from non math types.

[Bowen and Wang]

"In preparing this two volume work our intention is to present to Engineering and Science
students a modern introduction to vectors and tensors. Traditional courses on applied mathematics
have emphasized problem solving techniques rather than the systematic development of concepts.
As a result, it is possible for such courses to become terminal mathematics courses rather than
courses which equip the student to develop his or her understanding further.

As Engineering students our courses on vectors and tensors were taught in the traditional
way. We learned to identify vectors and tensors by formal transformation rules rather than by their
common mathematical structure. The subject seemed to consist of nothing but a collection of
mathematical manipulations of long equations decorated by a multitude of subscripts and
superscripts. Prior to our applying vector and tensor analysis to our research area of modern
continuum mechanics, we almost had to relearn the subject. Therefore, one of our objectives in
writing this book is to make available a modern introductory textbook suitable for the first in-depth
exposure to vectors and tensors. Because of our interest in applications, it is our hope that this
book will aid students in their efforts to use vectors and tensors in applied areas. "
DavidBektas
Aug23-06, 12:32 AM
P: 9
A great way to get free math/physics books is over bittorrent. I just recently downloaded a 600 MB collection of physics books... Great stuff!
Mickey
Aug23-06, 01:33 AM
Quote Quote by DavidBektas
A great way to get free math/physics books is over bittorrent. I just recently downloaded a 600 MB collection of physics books... Great stuff!
Ahh, GNU, CC, or public domain, no doubt?
cracker
Aug24-06, 09:41 PM
P: 38
hmm... your a bad boy. :D
frozen7
Aug27-06, 04:00 AM
P: 167
who can find me a free static textbook? :)
Bert
Sep3-06, 06:26 AM
P: 29
who knows where can I find a good book for trainig calculus skils?
feod2003
Oct17-06, 10:17 PM
P: 16
cool finds

Register to reply