3 or 4 year degree

by matthieulabelle
Tags: degree
matthieulabelle
Aug26-06, 07:02 PM
P: 7
I'll be starting my physics program next week at U of Toronto but im debating one thing, to get accepted into a top university in the USA ( mit or harvard ) for graduate studies, would i require to take a 4 year honors program or will a 3 year program suffice with good enough marks?

As a side note, how long does it take to get a Msc and a Phd (average)

thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
neurocomp2003
Aug26-06, 07:10 PM
P: 1,373
4 years at UFT...unless your able to cram all those requirements at UFT into 3 years(which includes summerschool)..though people would say take your time to completely understand what you are learning, doing undergrad research would probably be a plus(especially if you can obtain one fo those NSERC undergrad scholarships for the summer).

MSc(1yr-1.66yr),Phd(2.5-3)..total almost 5 years after undergrad
Tasaio
Aug30-06, 10:02 AM
P: 20
I'm not in Physics, myself, but I recommend taking the extra fourth year.

I don't know about Physics, but for UFT math and CS, the Grad Schools generally only have access to your marks from your *second-last* year -- so if you only take 3 years, they'll be looking at your second year marks.

If you take 4 years, you'll be able to take numerous extra courses, and spread out your workload and degree sufficiently.

matthieulabelle
Aug30-06, 06:15 PM
P: 7

3 or 4 year degree

how about summer courses? if i do a 4 year programme in 3 years that will allow me 3 summers to take courses. wouldn't it be even it out?
leright
Aug30-06, 07:00 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by matthieulabelle
how about summer courses? if i do a 4 year programme in 3 years that will allow me 3 summers to take courses. wouldn't it be even it out?
IT is a more wise investment to spend your summers getting research experience than it is to take classes.

Register to reply