Register to reply

3 or 4 year degree

by matthieulabelle
Tags: degree
Share this thread:
matthieulabelle
Aug26-06, 07:02 PM
P: 7
I'll be starting my physics program next week at U of Toronto but im debating one thing, to get accepted into a top university in the USA ( mit or harvard ) for graduate studies, would i require to take a 4 year honors program or will a 3 year program suffice with good enough marks?

As a side note, how long does it take to get a Msc and a Phd (average)

thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
neurocomp2003
Aug26-06, 07:10 PM
P: 1,373
4 years at UFT...unless your able to cram all those requirements at UFT into 3 years(which includes summerschool)..though people would say take your time to completely understand what you are learning, doing undergrad research would probably be a plus(especially if you can obtain one fo those NSERC undergrad scholarships for the summer).

MSc(1yr-1.66yr),Phd(2.5-3)..total almost 5 years after undergrad
Tasaio
Aug30-06, 10:02 AM
P: 20
I'm not in Physics, myself, but I recommend taking the extra fourth year.

I don't know about Physics, but for UFT math and CS, the Grad Schools generally only have access to your marks from your *second-last* year -- so if you only take 3 years, they'll be looking at your second year marks.

If you take 4 years, you'll be able to take numerous extra courses, and spread out your workload and degree sufficiently.

matthieulabelle
Aug30-06, 06:15 PM
P: 7
3 or 4 year degree

how about summer courses? if i do a 4 year programme in 3 years that will allow me 3 summers to take courses. wouldn't it be even it out?
leright
Aug30-06, 07:00 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by matthieulabelle
how about summer courses? if i do a 4 year programme in 3 years that will allow me 3 summers to take courses. wouldn't it be even it out?
IT is a more wise investment to spend your summers getting research experience than it is to take classes.

Register to reply