Help with Super-Resolution work on a license plate please

by berkeman
Tags: license, plate, superresolution, work
franznietzsche
Sep6-06, 02:56 PM
P: 1,782
Quote Quote by NoTime
Out of curiosity I poked around for a few miniuts.

I'm going to guess it's a New Mexico plate.

Thats what I thought too when i first saw it, but then the letters would be orange.

Incidently, its worth keeping in mind it might be a 6 character plate, especially if it ends up not being a california plate.
NoTime
Sep6-06, 09:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,572
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
Thats what I thought too when i first saw it, but then the letters would be orange.

Incidently, its worth keeping in mind it might be a 6 character plate, especially if it ends up not being a california plate.
I was thinking the "Balloon" plate.
This from pictures has a hot air balloon on left and red lettering. Not the older? plates.

If you mask out the red and green channels it vaguly look like a circle on the left side.
mmccorma
Jan4-07, 12:29 PM
P: 3
I applied super-resolution techniques to your images but the result was not good. Probably they don't contain enough information when combined to produce a higher resolution image. See attached image for an example of 5 low-res license plate images (LR) and producing a good super-resolution (SR) result.

--Mike
Attached Thumbnails
super-resolutionLicensePlate.jpg  
berkeman
Jan4-07, 01:40 PM
Mentor
P: 39,615
Thanks for tryin, mmccorma, and welcome to the PF. What software did you use?
mmccorma
Jan4-07, 01:59 PM
No problem. I wrote the software and a GUI for super-resolution in Matlab. It finds the integer and then sub-pixel offsets among a set of images using the Taylor series method described in this paper: http://www.ph.tn.tudelft.nl/~lucas/p...IE2000CLLV.pdf

Finding the correct sub-pixel offsets is the key to resolving a higher resolution image. Then it's just a matter of interpolating a non-uniform grid of pixels to a uniform and denser grid.

--Mike
DaveC426913
Jan5-07, 10:28 AM
P: 15,325
All you need to do is send your picture to the CSI lab in Vegas for analysis.

They have magical software that can take a blurry, low-rez image of a whole bank interior, zoom in on a credit card in someone's hand, pick out the individual numbers on it, and display them in perfect clarity. Now that's enhancement!
mmccorma
Jan9-07, 07:51 PM
Ok, here you can see how CSI does it :) ie. zoom-in on the license plate movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbvpGomrtk If the link doesn't work just search for Super-Resolution.
ray b
Jan10-07, 02:09 AM
P: 428
from mike's post I read _D267
with the _ looking like the handycapped tag wheelchair grafic

Register to reply