Best Songs Ever

by Evo
Tags: evo, music, songs
Share this thread:
Borek
Aug29-11, 01:13 PM
Admin
P: 23,600
I have seen her pictures in the past, and the name wasn't completely alien, but I have never heard her signing up to today. Fascinating voice.
SW VandeCarr
Aug29-11, 03:31 PM
P: 2,501
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
I have seen her pictures in the past, and the name wasn't completely alien, but I have never heard her signing up to today. Fascinating voice.
Yes, that voice! That's what people notice first. The British media personality Russell Brand knew Amy when she was teenage "twit" as he describes her. The local older guys called her "Winehouse", not "Amy". They liked to kid around with her. She told them she was a "jazz singer" and had dropped out of school. "Jazz singer"? (Like what's your day job?) She, of course, lived at home with her family (when she was home anyway). Later on, Brand, who by then had known her casually for a number of years, describes his reaction when he first heard her sing. It's a bit over the top, but probably not too far from the reaction many people have when they first actually hear her sing (including me).

"I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a ****ing genius."

http://www.russellbrand.tv/2011/07/for-amy/
Willowz
Aug30-11, 12:38 AM
P: 256
No lyrics but a great 'song'..

Before I go to sleep I'll pretend to have a beer while listening to this one.

TheStatutoryApe
Sep1-11, 07:36 AM
P: 1,550
I recently "discovered" a band called The BellRays. They have a garage rock/punk sound with soul style lyrics. Here is a music video. If you choose to listen and don't care that much for the music at least wait for the vocals, they're what really make the band. And the video is fun too.
SW VandeCarr
Sep1-11, 11:51 AM
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
I recently "discovered" a band called The BellRays. They have a garage rock/punk sound with soul style lyrics. Here is a music video. If you choose to listen and don't care that much for the music at least wait for the vocals, they're what really make the band. And the video is fun too.
That's Lisa Kekaula, the lead singer for this rock-soul band from Southern California. They've been around for a while. I like them too, but it is Lisa's singing that makes them stand out. Otherwise it's fairly standard heavy metal type rock. Frankly, I think the only reason they're not better known is that Lisa is not exactly a petite blue-eyed blonde type.
ElectroPhysics
Sep1-11, 12:03 PM
P: 113
CC Catch: Don't be a hero tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50RC4cQ_1E
Willowz
Sep2-11, 01:06 PM

Makes me all warm. Yay!
SW VandeCarr
Sep3-11, 08:21 AM
By the time of this live performance in London, Amy Winehouse was well into her downward self-destructive spiral. Live performances before large crowds were always difficult for her and she felt the need to "fortify" herself. If you look closely, she's a bit unsteady and there's that faraway look in her eyes. This time at least, she got her "dosage" right, enough to control her nerves, but not enough to ruin her performance. The song "Valerie" was one of her last commercially significant releases. It was originally recorded by the Zutons and is one the few recent songs in Amy's discography that she didn't write herself.

http://letras.terra.com.br/amy-winehouse/1007718/
Willowz
Sep3-11, 01:42 PM
I guess I'll post another.

OmCheeto
Sep5-11, 11:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,434
Facebook will not let me post the following video:

Odd.

This song describes much about me.
BWV
Sep8-11, 01:34 PM
P: 328
lisab
Sep8-11, 09:23 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
How about a country tune, with Jakob Dylan (you may have heard of his dad, Bob).

micromass
Sep10-11, 05:17 PM
Mentor
P: 18,334
I like this song:

rootX
Sep10-11, 05:42 PM
P: 1,294

Stevie Nicks new album, In your dreams!
SW VandeCarr
Sep11-11, 03:11 PM
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Stevie Nicks new album, In your dreams!
I'm glad to see (hear?) that Stevie is recording again. She's one of my favorites from way back when. It's interesting that Mick Fleetwood was interested in hiring her then boyfriend (1975) Lindsey Buckingham, but not her. Lindsey insisted that they were a pair. Mick hired her and soon after they recorded Stevie's composition "Rhiannon". Most everyone in PF over a certain age has probably heard it, but perhaps not some of the younger members and visitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3w5fttedA

EDIT: My only complaint about this performance is that they didn't give Christine more solo time on the keyboard. She was starting to lay down some cool licks.
rootX
Sep12-11, 06:29 PM
P: 1,294
SpringCreek
Sep12-11, 08:24 PM
P: 1
Borek
Sep15-11, 04:39 AM
Admin
P: 23,600

Register to reply