Exploring Grid Networking: Find Resources and Learn the Basics

In summary, Grid networking is a high-speed data network that connects multiple sites together. The software and applications used can vary, but network "tweaks" may be necessary for optimal performance. It is typically used for WAN or MAN applications and may not be necessary for learning purposes. There is no specific software for grid networking, but rather it can be achieved through various applications.
karthik3k
Iam new to the concept of Grid Networking.
Can anybody explain it ?
Is there any forum/ site to know more on tht subject ?
What kind of softwares should i use ?

PLz Help !

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you talking about grid networking for wide or metropolitan area networks?

What specifically did you want to know? You mentioned software, but first let me ask you what your application is. Are you trying to do this over a WAN or MAN?

I do the network transport design for these, SONET, GigaMan, gigabit ethernet, etc...

Try these links for a bit of background info and also let me know what it is you are trying to accomplish. I will see what else I can scrounge up for you.

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=33405

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=33405&page_number=18

Last edited:
I am sorry . i just need it for Learning purpose.
I need freewares. I have already seen those links.
I need softwares.How to use it. And how to grid computers.

Grid networking is not created by any specific software, at least not in the common use of the term. I think the term is also used in some gaming applications? Perhaps you are thinking about playing games?

True grid networking is a high speed data network linking multiple sites together. The software and applications used can be just about anything. Depending on which applications you are deploying, network "tweaks" would be necessary to gain optimal performance. Things like windowing need to be considered, was the app made to run on a LAN? if so, it will usually perform terribly over a WAN.

So unless you have a need for gigabit ethernet or greater links between geographically diverse locations, you won't be doing grid networking in it's true sense.

Maybe you are referring to something else? Did you look at the links I posted explaining grid networking?

What is grid networking?

Grid networking is a type of computer networking that allows multiple computers to work together as a single system. It involves connecting geographically dispersed resources, such as computers, storage devices, and software applications, over a network to achieve a common goal.

What are the benefits of grid networking?

Grid networking offers several benefits, including increased computational power, improved resource utilization, and cost savings. It also enables collaboration and data sharing among different organizations, making it ideal for scientific research and data-intensive applications.

What are the key components of grid networking?

The key components of grid networking are the grid infrastructure, which includes hardware and software resources, the grid middleware, which enables communication and coordination among resources, and the grid applications, which are the software programs that run on the grid infrastructure.

What is the difference between grid networking and cloud computing?

While both grid networking and cloud computing involve connecting resources over a network, they differ in their purpose and architecture. Grid networking is primarily used for scientific research and data-intensive applications, while cloud computing focuses on delivering on-demand computing resources and services to users. Additionally, grid networking typically involves a distributed and decentralized architecture, while cloud computing is often centralized.

How can one get started with grid networking?

To get started with grid networking, one can begin by learning the basics of grid computing, including its architecture, key components, and applications. They can also explore available resources and tools, such as grid middleware and applications, and participate in grid networking communities and events to gain hands-on experience and network with other professionals in the field.