What attracts you?

by Evo
Tags: attracts
Evo
Jan23-04, 09:42 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
They say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I am curious as to what attracts you to another person (I would say of the opposite sex, but that doesn't apply to everyone so...)

Let's break it down farther. What "initially" attracts you to someone?
Does this initial attraction tend to wear off quickly? If so, what qualities do you find are more attractive in the long run?

What is most important to you in a potential mate? If it is a combination, rank them in order of importance to you.

1) physical beauty

2) intelligence

3) personality

4) other - please specify

Do you find that your initial attractions generally do not work out? If so, why do you think that is?

Please feel free to add to, or modify this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Hurkyl
Jan23-04, 10:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
How initially is initially? Physical beauty is, of course, the dominating factor if I have no exposure to a girl's personality/intelligence/sense of humor/whatever.

However, physical beauty fades quickly in importance after the first few moments of interaction I have with a person. I've been friends with girls that others have told me were very hot, but I never even noticed!

To be honest, I'm not sure what really attracts me; I'm very picky, and it's rare for me to encounter a girl to whom I have any sort of real attraction.
Evo
Jan23-04, 10:54 PM
Mentor
Hurkyl, good point, I guess realistically, it's going to be a "physical" initial attraction, in "real" life. I can't honestly say I ever saw a guy across a room and said to myself "wow, he has a great sense of humor".

So let's say "initially" starts 10 minutes after you've started talking to the person. I've met many men that at first glance I considered "attractive" but as soon as they opened their mouths, I couldn't wait to get away from them.

On the other hand, I found myself becoming very attracted to men that at first glance I was not interested in, but were fascinating to talk to.

Zero
Jan23-04, 11:50 PM
P: 1,509

What attracts you?

I think you kids need less computer time and more outside the house time...seriously.
Tsu
Jan24-04, 12:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 637
Well, let's see...
Evo has an avg. of 2.02 posts per day.
Hurkyl has 5.24.
I, myself, am running a little over one post per day on average.
And Zero has... [o)] ...9.58!!!
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Zero. You crack me up. [6)] [:D]
Evo
Jan24-04, 12:09 AM
Mentor
I guess I do need to play outside more...
chroot
Jan24-04, 12:40 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
Beyond the obvious (physical attraction), I look for three things:

1) intelligence

2) open-mindedness

3) passion (about anything)

- Warren
Zero
Jan24-04, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Tsunami
Well, let's see...
Evo has an avg. of 2.02 posts per day.
Hurkyl has 5.24.
I, myself, am running a little over one post per day on average.
And Zero has... [o)] ...9.58!!!
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Zero. You crack me up. [6)] [:D]
No, really...I sleep three hours a night...for the rest of you, get some sleep, get out and date someone already!
Evo
Jan24-04, 01:12 AM
Mentor
Three hours a night??? No wonder you appear to have superhuman abilities.

BTW, I am too old to date (at my age I believe it's called charity). I am asking the questions for a friend of mine.
Zero
Jan24-04, 02:01 AM
There's no such thing as too old...

Mostly, I care about a woman's brain...an old mentor-type guy told me to look for a woman you want to talk to, after the physical stuff is over.
Evo
Jan24-04, 02:10 AM
Mentor
Nah, too old. I guess you didn't see where I compared you to someone I once went out with that was a leader of the SDS (students for a democratic society), he was VP back in '65 after Tom Hayden took a less direct role. (I meant that as a compliment to your ascerbic wit & political savvy.) Of course he was MUCH older than me, but it still dates me.

*edit* I met him in the 70's, and I was a child..., Ok, sheesh, I'm not THAT old...
Monique
Jan24-04, 07:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622
Physical beauty, nah, rather there are certain element that make a person attractive, which doesn't really have anything to do with physical beauty. Dark hair, happy eyes, small chin, holes in cheeks.

Important I find the way a person carries himself. Style of clothes, hairdo, taken care of image. Men in suit are *hot* [8)] [:D]

Then ofcourse comes the inside: respect, interests, goals, philosophy. I don't really care what a person looks like once the personality comes through, well, actually looking taken care of is always important..

Like Hurkyl, I'm very picky :)
Mr. Robin Parsons
Jan24-04, 09:20 AM
P: 1,560
Originally posted by Monique
(SNIP) Physical beauty, nah, rather there are certain element that make a person attractive, which doesn't really have anything to do with physical beauty. Dark hair, happy eyes, small chin, holes in cheeks. (SNoP)
HUH?? according to this *link*...

Hummm.....( [a)] )
Monique
Jan24-04, 09:33 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ain't he got dark hair and a small chin? I also commented that I like the character because of the dry sense of humor.. a total package!! [:))] AND he is smart AND he wairs suits.
Mr. Robin Parsons
Jan24-04, 09:36 AM
Ain't he got dark hair and a small chin? I also commented that I like the character because of the dry sense of humor.. a total package!! [:))] AND he is smart AND he wairs suits.
Is that his "Actor Character" or his "real character"?

(P.S. Yes I know, just sorta having fun [6)])
Monique
Jan24-04, 09:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I solely like him because of Fox Mulder [:))] I've always had a crush on him from the first episode that I watched at some guestfamily's house in London :) I guess he (fox) has become my role model of what men should be like [6)] [8)]
Mr. Robin Parsons
Jan24-04, 02:05 PM
(SNIP) I guess he (fox) has become my role model of what men should be like (SNoP)
You don't mean married, do you? cause he is....[6)]
Monique
Jan24-04, 02:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
We are talking about mulder and not duchovny here :)

Register to reply