Phase and gain margin (control)

by LM741
Tags: control, gain, margin, phase
Share this thread:
LM741
Sep14-06, 02:25 PM
P: 130
hey guys.

this has to do with determining the phase and gain margins of a system.
i've read and understood the follwing:

"To find GM, first find the phase crossover frequency, wGM. This is the frequency where the phase curve passes through -180. Get the magnitude at that frequency [looking at a bode plot]

To find FM, first find the gain crossover frequency, wFM. This is the frequency where M = 1. Recall at M = 1, 20 log M = 20 log 1 = 0."

what i don't understand is:
in the bode plot - what if the phase plot does not go up to 180 degrees - does this mean there is no gain margin?also - i've only seen examples where the gain margin is from a negative dB number to 0dB. what if the the -180 degrees has a corresponding gain greater then 0dB , then will i have a negative gain margin?

in the magnitude plot - what if the graph does not cut the w axis , does this mean there is no phase margin?

thanks
John
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
SGT
Sep16-06, 07:26 AM
P: n/a
If the graphs don't cross the limits, the gain and phase margins are meaninless. You could say they are infinite.
LM741
Sep16-06, 11:33 AM
P: 130
...........................thanks

Register to reply