Register to reply

Why is there gravity?

by priya_india
Tags: gravity
Share this thread:
priya_india
Sep16-06, 12:52 AM
P: 2
hey! can anyone tell me the reason for gravitation?
it may seem a very simple but i hav not been able to find it anywhare.and i think noone in the world knows it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
jtbell
Sep16-06, 01:05 AM
Mentor
P: 11,772
Nope, no one knows why there is gravity. Maybe whoever or whatever created the universe thought it would be cool for matter to stick together.

Seriously, though, there are different kinds of "why" explanations, also I guess English might not be your native language. Perhaps you should explain in more detail what sort of answer you are looking for.

The usual answer that you'll probably get from physicists is that matter and energy cause spacetime to curve, and that causes the "natural" paths of objects to come together as if they were attracted by a force. That's the explanation provided by Einstein's theory of general relativity. About that, you should ask in the relativity forum, the next one down from this one.
Thrice
Sep17-06, 12:36 AM
P: 233
Yup. The presence of matter curves spacetime in such a way as travelling through time now causes you to move (accelerate) through space.

michael879
Sep17-06, 12:28 PM
P: 630
Why is there gravity?

you can imagine this "curve" of space-time better if you think of a 2d universe. If you stick a bowling ball on a trampoline, it curves the surface of the trampoline so that if you stick a marble on it, it will be "attracted" to the bowling ball and may even orbit it once or twice.
notknowing
Sep17-06, 11:23 PM
P: 185
Quote Quote by priya_india
it may seem a very simple but i hav not been able to find it anywhare.and i think noone in the world knows it.
I know it : see http://home.online.no/~avannieu/darkmatter/
and look at the first article (on quantum gravity).
gijeqkeij
Sep18-06, 03:24 PM
P: 20
Nope, the "why" questions can't be answered in physics. We know "how": space-time curvature generate what we feel as gravity.

gijeqkeij

Universe principles are so simple that it's almost impossible for us to understand them
michael879
Sep18-06, 03:33 PM
if you view the universe as an expanding hypersphere you can explain gravity by saying that the more massive an object is the slower it travels through time. it would be like blowing up a balloon but sticking your finger in the way. With the universing expanding faster than massive objects, curves are formed like gravity. This isnt exactly complete though, youd still have to accept some unexplained force that makes massive objects age slower. Maybe the fact that the universe's expansion is accelerating (not sure if thats right) explains that though (i.e. F = ma).
gijeqkeij
Sep18-06, 04:06 PM
P: 20
Nope, the "why" questions can't be answered in physics. We know "how": space-time curvature generate what we feel as gravity.

gijeqkeij

Universe principles are so simple that it's almost impossible for us to understand them
michael879
Sep18-06, 04:27 PM
umm whyd you say the exact same thing twice?
masudr
Sep18-06, 05:11 PM
P: 932
gijeqkeij,

I know it's not possible to have LaTeX, or even any semblance of formatting, for usernames, but one can in posts. Perhaps it might be better to answer OP's questions with better formatting for equations.

Gravitational field equations are:

[tex]G_{ij} = kT_{ij}[/tex]

There's only one equation there, I hear you say. So why did I use the plural "equations" above? Well, [itex]i,j=1,2,3,4[/itex], so there are 16 equations.

There's lots more about this equation, and what it actually means (and what k is), in all kinds of books and websites. So I won't comment here. In fact, I'm not even sure who I've really addressed this to. I know it says gijeqkeij at the top, but he/she is presumably familiar with all this already. In any case, I've typed it, so I'll post it.
unscientific
Sep24-06, 06:26 AM
P: 1,107
Theoratical physicists have suggested string theory. Just type in " String Theory " in google and discover the fascinating world about it! :D

Register to reply