Ice Melts, Water Level Changes in Beaker

In summary, the level of water in a beaker will not change when ice melts because the volume of water displaced by the ice is equal to the volume of water produced by melting the ice, regardless of any changes in volume or mass of the ice. Therefore, the water level will remain the same.
Harshatalla
Whar happens to the level of water when ice melts in a beaker

Physics news on Phys.org
since liquid water is more dense than ice, the water level would go down because more water would be able to fit in less space.

There is no change in the level. The ice floats because it displaces a volume of water which weights as much as the ice.
When the ice melts, it turns into water, that will occupy the same volume.
(I am assuming that prior to melting the water in contact with the ice will be at 0 degrees C).

Harshatalla said:
Whar happens to the level of water when ice melts in a beaker
Is the ice floating?

Doc Al said:
Is the ice floating?
Is there any reason to think it wouldn't be?

DaveC426913 said:
Is the ice floating
Is there any reason to think it wouldn't be?
Could be a trick question involving the other stages of ice (frozen under high pressure), which I assume are more dense.

Or the ice could be physically held underneath the water.

Hootenanny said:
Or the ice could be physically held underneath the water.
Is there a reason to think it is?

Ok, I will take a crack at it. Correct me if I am wrong Folks.

Let's take a differential element of water, where the top cube of the water lies at the free surface of the water. (i.e. the cube is just under the water).

This cube has dimensions, dx, dy, dz.

The volume of this cube is:

[tex] dV = dx dy dz [/tex]

the associated mass is:

[tex] m = \rho_w dx dy dz [/tex]

when water expands to ice, it increases by volume at about 9%, but the mass remains constant, therefore:

[tex] m = \rho_w dx dy dz = \rho_{ice}( 1.09 dx dy dz )[/tex]

So that means:

[tex] \rho_w = 1.09 \rho_{ice} [/tex]

We can now do a simple force balance to see our result: (weight of ice must balance buoyancy force)

[tex] dF_b = \rho_w g dV' = \frac {\rho_w}{1.09} g (1.09 dx dy dz) [/tex]

**Edit: Forgot the (1.09) infront of the dxdydz, thanks Gokul!

Now we simplify and get:

[tex] dV' = dxdydz[/tex]

Where dV' is the volume of displaced water by the ice.

Because dV' is equal to dV=dxdydz, (which was the original volume of differential water), the water level will stay the same when the ice melts.

I just wrote this proof down myself, so if its got a mistake point it out!

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I just wrote this proof down myself, so if its got a mistake point it out!
Your mistake is assuming that the ice floats yet is totally submerged. Yes, the volume of ice is greater than the volume of an equal mass of water--but only part of the ice is submerged and thus displacing water. (See SGT's post for a simple argument.)

On the other hand, if the ice is not floating but resting on the bottom of the beaker (exerting a non-zero force on the bottom of the beaker), then the water level will rise when the ice melts. In such a case the ice obviously weighs more than the displaced water, otherwise it would be floating.

Not quite. I never assumed that. Take a second glance.

I started with a differential element of water just under the surface to see the volume it would occupy.

Then I compared that volume to the displaced volume of the ice (that had the same mass as the water).

I assumed the ice was some fractional distance from the surface, kdz, where k turns out to be 1/(1.09)^2.

Last edited:
Simply put, the ice will float at a height where it displaces an amount of water exactly equal to its mass. If the volume of that block of ice happened to increase (for whatever reason), or even decrease (for whatever reason), without changing it mass, it is the volume above the waterline that will grow or shrink. The volume below the water line will not change, and thus the displaced amount of beaker water will not change. (It couldn't change! The volume displaced in the beaker water is directly created by the displacement from the mass of the block of ice, which hasn't changed in mass!) Since the amount of wtaer displaced in the beaker does not change, it has no effect on the water level.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Ok, I will take a crack at it. Correct me if I am wrong Folks.

Let's take a differential element of water, where the top cube of the water lies at the free surface of the water. (i.e. the cube is just under the water).

This cube has dimensions, dx, dy, dz.

The volume of this cube is:

[tex] dV = dx dy dz [/tex]

the associated mass is:

[tex] m = \rho_w dx dy dz [/tex]

when water expands to ice, it increases by volume at about 9%, but the mass remains constant, therefore:

[tex] m = \rho_w dx dy dz = \rho_{ice}( 1.09 dx dy dz )[/tex]

So that means:

[tex] \rho_w = 1.09 \rho_{ice} [/tex]

We can now do a simple force balance to see our result: (weight of ice must balance buoyancy force)

[tex] F_b = \rho_w g dV' = \frac {\rho_w}{1.09} g dx dy dz [/tex]
Error in the last line, on the RHS.

[tex]dF_{weight} = \frac {\rho_w}{1.09} g dV_{ice} = \frac {\rho_w}{1.09} g dV_{water} \cdot 1.09 =\rho_w g dx dy dz [/tex]

Thanks Gokul, you got it!

Dang, stupid last line threw me off...grrrr! :mad: :mad:

How did I do that! ...oops :blushing:

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Simply put, the ice will float at a height where it displaces an amount of water exactly equal to its mass. If the volume of that block of ice happened to increase (for whatever reason), or even decrease (for whatever reason), without changing it mass, it is the volume above the waterline that will grow or shrink. The volume below the water line will not change, and thus the displaced amount of beaker water will not change. (It couldn't change! The volume displaced in the beaker water is directly created by the displacement from the mass of the block of ice, which hasn't changed in mass!) Since the amount of wtaer displaced in the beaker does not change, it has no effect on the water level.

I think my revision thanks to Gokul has put into equations what you have put into text. Though I think there is need of more equations to back up these arguments at the start of the thread. You guys were right, but it was too informal for my taste.

The way in which the differential element grows or shrinks is not needed in this analysis. All you need to worry about is how much volume the ice displaces, and compare that to how much volume that same element of ice would occupy as a liquid.

The transient is not of concern.

Last edited:
See attached pic. It's so simple that it should be intuitively obvious that the water level doesn't change.

(If anyone thinks my diagram can be improved let me know. But I can't see anything else it needs.)

Attachments

• PF060917ice-water.gif
    PF060917ice-water.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Not to idiots like me :smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Not to idiots like me :smile:
(Hm. Inb retrospect, my post may have sounded almost patronizing. I didn't mean to suggest it's simple to understand, merely that the diagram is simple.)

Does the diagram not work for you?

Meh, don't worry about it. I can't see it until doc approves it. From my perspective, it seemed like everyone was stating the obvious, without actually proving it :tongue2: Something can't be just because you say so!

That is a nice drawing.

cyrusabdollahi said:
That is a nice drawing.
Thanks, but does it make its point?

Well...I can't see that in and of itself as a valid proof. But I do see what you're getting at.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Well...I can't see that in and of itself as a valid proof. But I do see what you're getting at.
Nono. Not proof. Simply answers the question intuitively. i.e. enough to make us all agree that the water level doesn't change. The proof can follow.

If one accepts Archimede's principle, the "proof" that the water level doesn't change (when floating ice melts) follows immediately. DaveC's diagram allows you to see it at once.

Cyrus, your proof can be effected with the following two lines (in words or in [itex]equations[/itex]):

line #1: (the Archimedes Principle) mass of water displaced equals mass of ice:
[tex]\rho_W \cdot V_{disp} = M_{ice} [/tex]

line#2: (mass conservation) mass of water formed by melting ice equals mass of ice melted:
[tex]M_{ice} = M_{w} = \rho_W \cdot V_w [/tex]

Conclusion: (from #1 and #2) mass of water displaced equals mass of water formed by melting, hence level remains unchanged:
[tex]\rho_W \cdot V_{disp} = \rho_W \cdot V_{w} [/tex]

Isnt that what I wrote Gokul?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Isnt that what I wrote Gokul?
Yes, but it's also exactly the same thing that was said by SGT in post#3.

Yes, now his post is clearer to me. I had/have a hard time seeing that visually. I try not to rely on my intuition, because it can lead you to wrong places!

What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to observe and measure the changes in water level in a beaker as ice melts. This can help us understand how melting ice affects water levels in bodies of water such as lakes and oceans.

What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for the experiment include a beaker, ice cubes, a ruler or measuring tape, and a timer or clock.

What is the procedure for the experiment?

The procedure for the experiment is as follows:

1. Fill the beaker with water to a certain level.
  2. Add several ice cubes to the beaker.
  3. Start the timer or clock.
  4. Observe and record the changes in water level as the ice melts.
  5. Repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accuracy.

What factors can affect the results of the experiment?

Factors that can affect the results of the experiment include the size and temperature of the ice cubes, the starting water level in the beaker, and the surrounding temperature and humidity.

What are the potential real-world applications of this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the effects of melting ice on sea levels and coastal areas. It can also be used to study the impact of climate change on bodies of water and to develop strategies for mitigating its effects.