by chosenone
Tags: life, meaning
drag
Mar29-03, 08:06 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,341
Greetings !
Originally posted by chosenone
I have a bazzare thought.if god exists and created everything right,than the meaning of life is that,the meaning of life is to be the meaning of life to another being as he exists in his universe,and we are what he does in his to kill time!and thats all we are his his life not ours!
[:)]
There's a worse case scenario yet - if there's
no God then we exist for no purpose what so
ever. But, at least we're on even terms with
everything else... [;)]

Live long and prosper.
mouseman
Mar29-03, 08:25 AM
P: n/a
I'm firmly holding on to the idea that we exist only to procreate, to pass our genes on to the next generation for the survival of our species, but thats only cuz I believe life is (or was, rather) an accident. And an extraordinary accident at that. [:)]
chosenone
Mar29-03, 11:12 AM
P: 182
There's a worse case scenario yet - if there's
no God then we exist for no purpose what so
ever. But, at least we're on even terms with
everything else...

I like that! but it's hard to say that if atoms can form life,that even know we may have been a random planet that formed to create life,that the universe did'nt have it in it to do to begin with.so i guess we'll have to make the best of it.ohh darn were alive,you care,at least we have that much,It's not that bad of a gig,being alive.rather have been alive and go back to the nothingness I came,that to have not lived at all.so I'll just make the best of it,instead of *****ing about why to begin with.!
Mentat
Mar29-03, 12:05 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by mouseman
I'm firmly holding on to the idea that we exist only to procreate, to pass our genes on to the next generation for the survival of our species, but thats only cuz I believe life is (or was, rather) an accident. And an extraordinary accident at that. [:)]
But, does the fact that it's cause was accidental immediately rule out the possibility of their being a purpose? After all, the existence of God could be an accident (hey, it's an idea), and thus He could set out a purpose for us, after we have already come into existence. Or, from an atheistic stand-point, perhaps we do make our own purposes.
chosenone
Mar29-03, 12:27 PM
maybe the meaning of life is for a species of being to live and die,until they've advanced themself to achieve light speed,and explore the universe,because its there to be done.and where not it,we have to live a meaningless existance never seeing it happened but we were there when it started.if we can keep ourselfs from destroying the earth at the same time,and achieve technological advancement and repair it before its to late. then our meaning was to watch ourself let it all go to hell,and stand by and watch it happen,and do nothing then blame everybody else for it instaed of taking responcibility for it themself,because there apart of the human race,what happens to anyone happens to everyone.so stopping it from happening should be everybodys meaning!.
drag
Mar29-03, 12:49 PM
Sci Advisor
Maybe the meaning of life is to have fun...[;)]
chosenone
Mar29-03, 01:05 PM
yeah,life can be fun,if you have a brain that can make you money,or else your working 9-5 digging a ditch for 5 dollars an hour,and never amounted to anything,or in pain from being hurt,or crippled your whole life anbd were never given the chance to have a good one,then yeah lifes fun for the rest of us
mouseman
Mar29-03, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Mentat
But, does the fact that it's cause was accidental immediately rule out the possibility of their being a purpose?
Well, I just feel it's more unlikely.
Originally posted by Mentat
Or, from an atheistic stand-point, perhaps we do make our own purposes.
I think I'd have to agree with that notion.
maybe the meaning of life is for a species of being to live and die,until they've advanced themself to achieve light speed,and explore the universe,because its there to be done.
But what about the dinosaurs? They never got their chance. They were "God's creatures" for millions of years before we got here. I probably know what you're going to say, and my answer would be that it wouldn't be fair to rule them out.
and where not it,we have to live a meaningless existance never seeing it happened but we were there when it started.
What's so bad about that. If we could all agree that we have no real purpose here in the universe and could realize that the fact that we are here is a "blessing" enough, I believe the human race will be better off than it ever was.
if we can keep ourselfs from destroying the earth at the same time,and achieve technological advancement and repair it before its to late. then our meaning was to watch ourself let it all go to hell,and stand by and watch it happen,and do nothing then blame everybody else for it instaed of taking responcibility for it themself,because there apart of the human race,what happens to anyone happens to everyone.so stopping it from happening should be everybodys meaning!.
Right. That would be a part of the survival of the species. We can use our reasoning and intellect to foresee our self-induced demise and overcome it and THAT, my friends, gives us an advantage over all other species on Earth. But I would like to add that with that advantage comes incredible responsibility, as far as watching over our fellow terrestrial inhabitants. We need to care for other things as we tend to our own needs. Blah, blah, blah! I'm rambling again.

Time out for another beer. [6)]
Iacchus32
Mar31-03, 04:42 AM
P: 2,216
Originally posted by Jack
One of my friends also believes that the meaning of life can mean whatever you wan't it to mean however he also believes this fact is not debatable. Don't ask why, he's just wierd.
Actually it makes sense if it's up to each of us to ultimately decide for ourselves. In which case it can't be up for debate.
chosenone
Mar31-03, 09:15 AM
well I think the dinosaurs were created by god for one purpose,and that was to give us fossil fuel.with out it we would be where we are right now,and destroying the planet at the same time.
BoulderHead
Mar31-03, 09:23 AM
well I think the dinosaurs were created by god for one purpose,and that was to give us fossil fuel.with out it we would be where we are right now,and destroying the planet at the same time.
What is the truth behind crude oil? I've heard dinosaurs, rotten vegetation, naturally occuring. I thought dinosaurs had been pretty much ruled out.
mouseman
Mar31-03, 08:33 PM
Crude oil is basically preserved organic material (dead plants and animals). It was sealed away from the elements so well that only bacteria could get to it. So basically its bacteria-poop.
This is just an assumption. I don't know the real answer. And don't ask me why I posted this. I don't know that either.
Ben-CS
Mar31-03, 08:54 PM
I am rather fond of saying "The purpose of life is to determine the purpose of life."
FZ+
Apr1-03, 02:03 AM
P: 1,954
Nonsense. We were created by God to act as a galactic whipping boy for the great race of alien moulds, the real focus of all creation, to calibrate their weapons in their holy war against the devilish alien scums. All the stuff he told you about being made in his own image is wrong - see how quickly moulds grow? This universe is designed for them!

Crude oil is decayed organic matter. Mostly thought not to be dinos, but deep sea sediment from dead ocean creatures. eg. plankton, fish etc.
Deslaar
Apr1-03, 03:40 PM
P: 42
So far, from what I can tell, nothing can have a meaning in and of itself. Meaning is ascribed to an object or entity through it's relationship with other objects and entities. What is the meaning of a fork? Ask the knife. What is the meaning of life? Ask the Universe. How do you ask the Universe a question? Science.
drag
Apr1-03, 03:49 PM
Sci Advisor
The meaning of existence is 42... [;)]
Now, what's the question ? [:D]
Deslaar
Apr1-03, 04:13 PM
P: 42
Originally posted by drag
What is 6 multiplied by 7?

BY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!!![g)][;)]
Eyesee
Apr1-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by drag
I just learned that the other day.
The question is : What is infinity - infinity?

And I wagered 10,000 by the way. Alex Trebec: pay me !

Register to reply