Register to reply

Can you shock someone?y

by ravenprp
Tags: shock, someoney
Share this thread:
ravenprp
Sep26-06, 03:41 PM
P: 74
Hi, is it possible to shock someone by forcing them to hold a spark plug in one hand and a piece of metal connected to an electric current in the other to cause like, lets say 3V of electricity to go through their body? Or is there something wrong with the setup?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
ravenprp
Sep26-06, 04:20 PM
Hi, is it possible to shock someone by forcing them to hold a spark plug in one hand and a piece of metal connected to an electric current in the other to cause like, lets say 3V of electricity to go through their body? Or is there something wrong with the setup?
moose
Sep26-06, 04:35 PM
P: 555
Before I answer anything, what the hell are you trying to do?

ravenprp
Sep26-06, 04:41 PM
Can you shock someone?y

nothing at all, my friend and i were arguing over the fact if it will work.

i'm not going to actually shock someone :p
david90
Sep26-06, 05:00 PM
P: 303
3V is too low unless his/her hand has a cut.
jpr0
Sep26-06, 05:23 PM
P: 147
Is this for your physics class or are you planning to submit something to jackass? :P
berkeman
Sep26-06, 05:33 PM
Mentor
P: 41,098
3V is pretty low, but sandpaper their hand first and sprinkle some salt water on the wound. Oh, and be careful. Why do you ask anyway?
turbo
Sep26-06, 05:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
The spark plug has an air gap. You might want to do a little research about the voltage potential required to jump that gap. Hint: IC engines have some pretty hefty step-up coils to pull this off. Please re-post when you need confirmation of your quantification.
berkeman
Sep26-06, 05:50 PM
Mentor
P: 41,098
Quote Quote by turbo-1
The spark plug has an air gap.
Good point. I was assuming he was just going to connect to and hold the whole plug, but if he connects to the top input connector and holds other metal tip, not much is going to happen. Well, except for the salt water in the wound.
Danger
Sep26-06, 10:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Considering that sparkplugs run on somewhere upward of 25,000 volts, I don't think that your enemies have anything to worry about.
Integral
Sep27-06, 12:53 AM
Mentor
P: 7,320
Is the spark plug connected to a coil? How is the "piece of metal" connected to an "electric current"? Where did the 3V come from. You question is very poorly stated could you please try to restate it in a different form. Perhaps we can start to unravel what it is you are asking.
jpr0
Sep27-06, 04:29 PM
Don't read this post.
I had previously written it suggesting something very stupid and dangerous, which was intended as a joke, and then realised that some people reading this may actually take it seriously, so I had to delete the original post by overwriting it with something else.
Thank you, good night, and please play safely with electricity :P
Danger
Sep27-06, 11:42 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jpr0
Thank you, good night, and please play safely with electricity :P
Does this mean that the Taser party is cancelled?
jpr0
Oct1-06, 02:41 PM
Quote Quote by Danger
Does this mean that the Taser party is cancelled?
Yes. Not to worry though, it's being replaced by the batons and clubs party.
russ_watters
Oct1-06, 03:26 PM
Mentor
P: 22,300
I didn't see this thread before. No one mentioned the fact that spark plug or not, a person has to be completing a circuit for electricity to flow. A spark plug has two terminals, not one. So if the spark plug's other terminal isn't grounded, nothing will happen even if the voltage is high enough to jump the gap.
Averagesupernova
Oct2-06, 07:38 AM
P: 2,529
If the voltage is high enough to jump the gap it is most likely high enough to find a path back to the source. Even if the source is well insulated the person getting shocked will most likely feel it due to capacitance between them and the source or leakage.
Prince Stephen Ranji
Oct8-06, 08:52 AM
P: 10
3V will not make a shock for a human.above ~80V makes a good shock so all you have to do is to convert 3V DC to 3V AC then connect it to a small transformer & amplify 3V AC to >80V AC.then take the output leads to the person whom you want to shock
Danger
Oct8-06, 12:18 PM
PF Gold
This is starting to remind me of my first anti-salesman/holy-roller device, which consisted of a bronze-wool welcome mat, a brass doorknob, and a 280 amp arc welder.

Register to reply