Can You Solve One-to-One Functions Algebraically?

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: But we can't say that if f(a)= f(b) then a=b; that is not true for all a and b. We can say that if f(a)= f(b) and we know that f(x)= x3 is one to one, then a= b. That is, we can say that if f(a)= f(b), then a3= b3, and then (since we know that x3 is one to one) a= b.In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve one-to-one functions algebraically using substitution and basic math. It also explains how to determine if a function is one-to-one and provides examples of functions that are and are not one-to-one. The conversation also
AznBoi
How do you solve one-to-one functions algebraically?

Problem: f(x) (3x+4)/5

What are you suppose to substitue for x?

I know that if f(a)=f(b), a=b...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean solve?

If f(x) = (3x+4)/5, then you have your function. If you plug in an x, you can solve for f(x) by doing basic math. Given what f(x) is, you can do something like this:

5*f(x) = 3x + 4

5f(x) - 4=3x

(5f(x)-4)/3=x

It says: Determine algebraically whether the function is one-to-one. How do I do that?

Oh, I get it. You want to show that if you plug two distinct values, x1 and x2 into f(x), the values that are returned either are not equal to each other, or x1 and x2 are the same (that's the definition of one to one)

So do you plug 2 and -2. Their negatives? or what two numbers do you plug in. I plugged in 2 and -2 and I got 2 and -2/5. What am I doing wrong?

AznBoi said:
How do I do that?
Just do what it says:

I know that if f(a)=f(b), a=b...
Start by writing down f(a) = f(b).
Use algebra to derive a = b.

Proof finished.

Can you use calculus? If so, you can show that the slope (derivative) of the function is always positive and bounded. That means that the function cannot double-back on itself to create a second y value for any x value.

Even if you aren't supposed to use calculus, at least for this problem, the equation is the equation of a straight line, right? y = mx + b

EDIT -- Ooo. I like Hurkyl's method better!

what do you mean? like f(a)=3a+4/5 f(b)=3b+4/5?? a will always equal b if you do it that way wouldn't it? No I can't use calculus, I'm in pre cal xD. Can you show me how to do it?

AznBoi said:
what do you mean? like f(a)=3a+4/5 f(b)=3b+4/5?? a will always equal b if you do it that way wouldn't it?
If you can prove what you just said, then you've proven f is one-to-one. It's that easy.

What about f(x)=x^2 It's not a one-to-one function even though f(a)=a^2 is equal to f(b)=b^2 a=b in that case but if you put -2 and 2 in f(a)=f(b) but a doesn't equal b.. So I'm confused.

Can you give me some examples of functions that aren't one-by-one. I mean if you use the same function for x=a and b. aren't they alwasy equal to each other?

For x^2, if a^2=b^2, then a=-b means x^2 isn't necessarily one to one

What about f(x)=x^2 It's not a one-to-one function even though f(a)=a^2 is equal to f(b)=b^2 a=b in that case
Why do you think a=b in that case? You've demonstrated that's not always true... so think hard about why you would (incorrectly) believe a=b must be true here.

Okay I know that -2^2 and 2^2 are both equal to 4.. So that means you can't use a and b.. cause a^2 and b^2 would be a=b if you solve it algebrically. What numbers do I need to substitue for x? How do I know that a=b or a doesn't equal b. Thats what I'm trying to figure out. =P

cause a^2 and b^2 would be a=b if you solve it algebrically.
Show your work.

a^2=b^2 because you square root both sides and you get a=b?

a^2=b^2 because you square root both sides and you get a=b?
Nope. You get |a| = |b|.

So basically anything that is to an even power is not a one-to-one function. ok this is weird. lol

AznBoi said:
So basically anything that is to an even power is not a one-to-one function. ok this is weird. lol
Just for my peace of mind, could you please post the textbook definition of a one-to-one function? I think that my practical definition of a one-to-one function (any x maps to only one y) may not match what others are asking you to show.

One-to-one means IF f(x) = f(y) THEN x=y.

So think about f(x) = x^2. If f(x) = f(y) is it NECESSARILY true that x=y? If not, then f is not 1-1. If so, then f is 1-1.

berkeman said:
Just for my peace of mind, could you please post the textbook definition of a one-to-one function? I think that my practical definition of a one-to-one function (any x maps to only one y) may not match what others are asking you to show.

Your definition there is not of one-to-one. Merely of a function.

A single "counter-example" is sufficient to show that a general statement is not true. The fact that (-1)2= 12 is sufficient to show that f(x)= x2 is not one to one.

To show that a function is one to one, you have to be more general: f(x)= x3 is one to one (as a function over the real numbers) because if a3= b3, then a= b.

1. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a type of function in mathematics where each element in the domain has a unique element in the range. This means that for every input, there is only one output. In other words, no two elements in the domain can have the same output in the range.

2. How do you determine if a function is one-to-one?

A function can be determined to be one-to-one by using the horizontal line test. This test involves drawing a horizontal line on the graph of the function and if the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. If the line only intersects at one point, then the function is one-to-one.

3. What is the difference between a one-to-one function and a many-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each element in the domain has a unique element in the range, while a many-to-one function is a function where multiple elements in the domain can have the same element in the range. In other words, a one-to-one function is a special type of function that does not have any repeating outputs.

4. Can a one-to-one function have a horizontal asymptote?

No, a one-to-one function cannot have a horizontal asymptote. This is because a horizontal asymptote indicates that the function approaches a constant value as the input approaches infinity or negative infinity. In a one-to-one function, each input has a unique output, so the function cannot approach a constant value.

5. How are one-to-one functions useful in real-life applications?

One-to-one functions are useful in many real-life applications, such as in finance, statistics, and physics. For example, in finance, one-to-one functions can be used to calculate the expected return on investments. In statistics, they can be used to analyze data and make predictions. In physics, one-to-one functions can be used to model various phenomena, such as motion and energy.