Gun shot at angle

by Fanjoni
Tags: angle, shot
Fanjoni
Oct8-06, 12:40 AM
P: 11
A pistol that fires a signal flare gives the flare an initial speed (muzzle speed) of 185 m/s.
(a) If the flare is fired at an angle of 55 above the horizontal on the level salt flats of Utah, what is its horizontal range? You can ignore air resistance.
(b) If the flare is fired at the same angle over the flat Sea of Tranquility on the moon, where g = 1.6 m/s2, what is its horizontal range?

I am just going blank i tried solving for range but am lost
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
OlderDan
Oct8-06, 09:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,033
Quote Quote by Fanjoni
A pistol that fires a signal flare gives the flare an initial speed (muzzle speed) of 185 m/s.
(a) If the flare is fired at an angle of 55 above the horizontal on the level salt flats of Utah, what is its horizontal range? You can ignore air resistance.
(b) If the flare is fired at the same angle over the flat Sea of Tranquility on the moon, where g = 1.6 m/s2, what is its horizontal range?

I am just going blank i tried solving for range but am lost
Resolve the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components. Use what you know about motion with constant acceleration to figure out how long it will take for an object moving upward with the vertical component of the flare velocity to return to the ground. The horizontal motion of the flare has no effect on the vertical motion, so the time in flight depnds only on the initial vertical velocity and the acceleration. Once you have the time in flight, use the (constant) horizontal component of velocity to figure out how far the flare moves horizontally; that is the range.
Fanjoni
Oct8-06, 12:18 PM
P: 11
Thanks i finaly got it it took me a while
This is what i did

185*sin55 =V(ertical speed)
V/g = T(ime to stop vertically) T*2=total time
185*cos55 = v(horizontal speed)

t*v=R(horizontal range)

I did the same for the moon g = 1.6

Thanks

Register to reply