Chemical Reactions and Observations: Barium Chloride and Sodium Sulfate

• Thread starter Joules23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the solution contains one or more of the following: silver nitrate, copper(II) sulfate, iron(III) nitrate, barium bromide. Next you add one drop of hydrochloric acid (solution). There is a precipitate. Next you add one drop of barium nitrate (solution). There is no observable reaction. Finally, you add one drop of sodium sulfate (solution). There is no observable change.
Joules23
1) A solution contains one or more of the following:
Silver nitrate
Potassium sulfate
iron(III) nitrate
Barium bromide

You add one drop of hydrochloric acid (solution). There is a precipitate.

Next you add one drop of barium nitrate (solution). There is no observable reaction.

Present: ______
Absent: ______
Your next step: ______

--------------------------------
2) A solution contains none or some of the following:
Silver nitrate
Copper(II) sulfate
iron(III) chloride
barium nitrate

You ad one drop of barium chloride (solution). There is no observable change.
Next you add one drop of sodium sulfate (solution). There is no observable change.

Present: ______
Absent: ______
Next step: _______

--------------------

Anyone have any idea as to how i would find this out, without actually performing the experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
also remember this:

if A Compound in water...

is soluble = no precipitant
insoluble = precipitant

use the solubility chart/table to determine what is soluble/insoluble. Shouldnt be that difficult...

i still don't understand i looked on the chart for #1 and they all are Soluble... how would adding the HCl factor in with the chart

HNO3 (3 is subscript)
HSO4 (4 is subscript)
3NO3H (2nd 3 is subscript)
HBr2 (2 is subscript)

Those are what i got after adding the HCl to the silver nitrate, potassium sulfate, etc... Now where do i go from there?

Last edited:
ok please let me know if i got this right

for #1, the only one present is silver nitrate

for #2 the only ones present are Copper(II) sulfate and iron(III)chloride

Also what is meant by, "your next step?"

AgCl, AgBr and BaSO4 are insoluble; every other combination is soluble...

im still not understanding it... ok, insoluble = precipitate .. so are you saying for both #1 and #2, the ones present are AgCl, AgBr and BaSO4 ?

btw, yes i am stupid

Last edited:
Joules23 said:
im still not understanding it... ok, insoluble = precipitate .. so are you saying for both #1 and #2, the ones present are AgCl, AgBr and BaSO4 ?
#1. If you add HCl and there is a precipitate (=insoluble) and the only insoluble substance among those could be AgCl, what do you conclude? If you add Ba++ and there is no precipitate, knowing that the only insoluble substance could be BaSO4, what do you conclude? Ecc.

When you use the solubility chart the higher always prevails, is that where your getting caught?

1. What is the difference between a chemical reaction and a physical change?

A chemical reaction involves the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, resulting in the creation of new substances. A physical change, on the other hand, only affects the physical properties of a substance, such as its state or appearance, but does not result in the formation of new substances.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side. This is achieved by adding coefficients in front of each molecule as needed.

3. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

Acids are substances that release hydrogen ions in solution, while bases are substances that release hydroxide ions. Acids have a pH less than 7 and typically have a sour taste, while bases have a pH greater than 7 and typically have a bitter taste.

4. How do I calculate the molarity of a solution?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the volume of solution in liters. The formula is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. Make sure to use the correct units for moles and liters.

5. What is the difference between an endothermic and exothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction absorbs heat from its surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature. In contrast, an exothermic reaction releases heat to its surroundings, causing an increase in temperature. Endothermic reactions typically feel cold, while exothermic reactions feel warm.